Taiwanese Scorp ID (Confiscation)?

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
California US F&W has some scorpions they confiscated (supposedly from Taiwan, but they're not 100% on this) and were going to ship out to some zoos but didn't know the ID on a couple. I am no scorpion ID expert so was hoping you folks might have one for me here before I reach out trying to acquire some of these for my institution. Looks to be 2 species to me? (I really do suck at ID'ng scorpions), and one of them they said had babies in transit. Pictures attached. Thanks!

Attachments

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Sorry I am going to be of no help, but I am interested in how you're acquiring these. They confiscated them because they were attempting to be illegally imported, or just are illegal to own altogether as a unlicensed civilian? And because of this they're sending these specimens to unis and zoos? Not doubting anything you said, just very intrigued by the whole situation.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with an ID, good luck getting em.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Sorry I am going to be of no help, but I am interested in how you're acquiring these. They confiscated them because they were attempting to be illegally imported, or just are illegal to own altogether as a unlicensed civilian? And because of this they're sending these specimens to unis and zoos? Not doubting anything you said, just very intrigued by the whole situation.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with an ID, good luck getting em.

Most importations are seized either because of improper/no paperwork and they're being illegally smuggled in, or they can be illegal to own in general. This is pretty common with ports of entry to the states, and California often has seized wildlife. Once the wildlife is seized, if there's no easy way to 're-patriate' those animals they will go to accredited conservation institutions for the remained of their life. It's a pretty common situation as the federal/state gov is not equipped to provide husbandry for these animals, so they go to a zoo/aquarium instead. One of the perks of working for an institution like this is we have all the fancy permits and facilities to let us house these animals, and the reputation to be a trusted partner in cases like this.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Most importations are seized either because of improper/no paperwork and they're being illegally smuggled in,
If the US F&W wasn't the most convoluted, anal retentive, unapproachable confusing maze in the known universe........
Excuse. Just thinking out loud.