Tailess Whip Scorpion

Chris4740

Arachnopeon
I live in North Alabama and my question is. I am planning on getting some tailess whip scorpions. I hear about people putting isopods in with them to eat mold and uneaten food in other words clean up crews. I would like to know if the so called Roly poly that we find under rocks and wood hear in the South would they do the same job as isopods? If not should I get something else or not put anything in there at all? Thanks for any input.

Chris

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Roly Polies in your area are in fact a type of isopod, and should do well with your tailless whip scorpion. Porcellino scaber are a common type, they can't roll up into a ball. I have kept them with my whips, they seem to do fine. The most common type that can roll into a ball, Armadillidium vulgare, should also do well as long as there is enough ventilation in the enclosure.
Personally, I have kept jungle micropods, Trichorhina tormentosa, and Porcellio scaber with my tailless whip scorpions, as well as springtails. All of those do well with limited ventilation, which, of course, helps keep humidity appropriately high in the enclosure.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, I missed the autocorrect error above, "Porcellino" should read "Porcellio". Both mean 'little pig', but the first one is in Italian, the second in Latin.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Some tailless whip will snack on the larger isopods. Mine does. I understand most don't. I also use the T. tormentosa. They're hardy, prolific, and voracious. Kind of the perfect clean up crew. Also they're too small for the Amblypygid to eat.