Tagged by Carolina Wolf Spider

TexasArachs

Arachnopeon
So today, I was doing yard work, and my family knows I do not allow killing of spiders. Well my wife and daughters are still scared of them. I had to save a medium size wolf spider who happened to have a meal in her mouth. Well I coaxed her on my hand, much to the dismay of my wife, now I have never been tagged by a wolf spider. They may be aggressive and fast, but she just walked onto my hand very calmly.
Unfortunately she half dropped her meal and as she went grabbed it, bam, grabbed my pinkie as well. It was dry and didn't pierce the skin, but it was a shock lol. It made me yell. Felt like a sharp pinch. This was a Carolina Wolf spider. I'm located in Texas. I have a large population of them, some huge females as well. They are cool to raise, just never expected to get pinched by one. It was a bad mix of coincidences. I don't believe she tried purposely tried biting me as she was walking calmly on my hand when it happened. Makes me wonder if a full grown can pierce skin. She seemed like she could have if she were being defensive.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Makes me wonder if a full grown can pierce skin. She seemed like she could have if she were being defensive.
Carolina wolf spiders are certainly big enough to pierce skin if they want to.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
So today, I was doing yard work, and my family knows I do not allow killing of spiders. Well my wife and daughters are still scared of them. I had to save a medium size wolf spider who happened to have a meal in her mouth. Well I coaxed her on my hand, much to the dismay of my wife, now I have never been tagged by a wolf spider. They may be aggressive and fast, but she just walked onto my hand very calmly.
Unfortunately she half dropped her meal and as she went grabbed it, bam, grabbed my pinkie as well. It was dry and didn't pierce the skin, but it was a shock lol. It made me yell. Felt like a sharp pinch. This was a Carolina Wolf spider. I'm located in Texas. I have a large population of them, some huge females as well. They are cool to raise, just never expected to get pinched by one. It was a bad mix of coincidences. I don't believe she tried purposely tried biting me as she was walking calmly on my hand when it happened. Makes me wonder if a full grown can pierce skin. She seemed like she could have if she were being defensive.
They absolutely can pierce your skin... Typically accidental though. They have lousy grip, an be will bite to save themselves from a fall, wear a cloth glove when you handle them so they can hang on. Dry bite... They do not inject like a snake, they have special saliva that dropsd on to their teeth. Just treat for infection of one ever gets you... I've been handling them for a long time, and never bitten yet... It's gotta be pretty rare.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Last summer I was throwing a frisbee to my dogs in the backyard. I was wearing flip-flops and I felt a nasty pinch on the middle toe of my right foot. I looked down and a juvie wolfer was latched on to my toe for dear life. I think it was under the impression it had found the mother of all worms. No residual effects, but man, did that smart.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I've got a whole herd of them crawling around my place this winter! So cute!
Told my dogs to mind their noses.