T won't touch substrate?

CurlyGirl

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

So a few weeks ago I got my first T. Its a brachypelma albo. I read somewhere that they're semi burrowers and the substrate in the enclosure I got it with was less than an inch thick so I bought a coco fiber brick and put this new substrate in but ever since then, my T will not touch the substrate, it's constantly on the glass sides of the enclosure. It has a hide and the substrate is now deep enough to burrow if needed but it's always on the glass. Is there a reason for this?

Burd

Arachnopeon
Have you tried compacting the substrate? Many Ts don't like the feeling of loose substrate but if you try to compress the substrate it may enjoy the enclosure a bit more. I'd also ask how moist the substrate is, as the albo is a rainforest species so they prefer slightly damp conditions (correct me if I'm wrong), and the follow up would be is there a water dish in the enclosure for the T to come down to?

Hope this helps!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am peronally not a big fan of coco fibre! Not pure coco fibre anyway! I suggest you mix the coco fibre with 50% organic pottingsoil!
Pure coco fibre are to loise in consistency and doesnt hold water very well!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Probably just the substrate being too loose. Or possibly too wet - while it's true that B. albopilosum enjoys a little more moisture than the average Brachypelma, they still are a Brachy and shouldn't be kept too damp.

Posting a picture of the enclosure may give us a better idea of what the problem may be if there is one. For all we know, it could just be your spider being a spider.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But spiders can be enigmatic. I once had an Lp that behaved like an arboreal. When i got it it pisitioned itself 10 cm up on the side wall on the critterkeeper. I assumed it was unhappy, but it ate like a horse, and otherwise acted like normal! It came down on the substrate once in a while, but often it sat on the side of the tank. But it sat still, it didnt pace the cage or roamed around!

decirp

Arachnopeon
I have s B. Albopilsum. I keep the substrate dry with a water dish I overflow every so often and mine seems quite content and happy. Perhaps you substrate is to damp?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The substrate being too damp seems quite plausible if you had to hydrate a brick of it. Photos of the enclosure, as already suggested, would be helpful.

Also, Ts cane take weeks to adjust to enclosure changes (such as adding substrate), so even if your parameters are spot on your T might just need time to settle in.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Also, Ts cane take weeks to adjust to enclosure changes (such as adding substrate), so even if your parameters are spot on your T might just need time to settle in.
My A. chalcodes stuck to the walls for a good two weeks before she finally decided the substrate really wasn't so bad. Some Ts even need a month or more to be adjusted.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I am peronally not a big fan of coco fibre! Not pure coco fibre anyway! I suggest you mix the coco fibre with 50% organic pottingsoil!
Pure coco fibre are to loise in consistency and doesnt hold water very well!
My Brachypelma albopilosum is on pure cocoa substrate. She has no problem w I ith it.
Buuut. Every specimen's.likes are different.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Have you fed it since adding substrate? I have. A few t's that needed a reason to come down. If you feed it it should start making a web mat. Mine seem to like walking on those.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
It might just be acclimating, but to me it sounds like it might be pretty damp since you need to hydrate bricks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys,

So a few weeks ago I got my first T. Its a brachypelma albo. I read somewhere that they're semi burrowers and the substrate in the enclosure I got it with was less than an inch thick so I bought a coco fiber brick and put this new substrate in but ever since then, my T will not touch the substrate, it's constantly on the glass sides of the enclosure. It has a hide and the substrate is now deep enough to burrow if needed but it's always on the glass. Is there a reason for this?
Yeah, you’re T is new.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine is doing the same thing...top of the enclosure. This is to be expected then? About how long do they do this, or is it just until the T decides it feels like moving down?
If yours is new/rehoused- you haven’t provided any meaningful info

No one knows how long. They are animals like you and I, they do what they want.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
If yours is new/rehoused- you haven’t provided any meaningful info

No one knows how long. They are animals like you and I, they do what they want.
Ah yes. Sorry. You're right...3". "Rescued" it from a bad pet shop last night. Rehoused today into a 3 gallon critter keeper. Sub is a mix of coco, vermiculite and Zilla "Jungle Mix" soil. Gave it a hide, water dish.
It's really docile. I was just able to coax it down with a brush. Tried offering a cricket too, but I'm not sure it's in the mood to eat.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Hi there :)

Also had kind of the same issue with my new B. Albo that I got two weeks ago, when I reduced a bit the humidity and fed her she went back on the substrate and stayed on it. Today she is half on the substrate / half on the wall.

My two concerns with her are (might not be real issues):
- She really does not like her hide, almost never been inside (might be the plastic cup that I chose, will replace it with a cork bark).
- She does not move a lot, and can stay in the same position for a day or so. She is mostly active when I feed her (happy dance everytime), or if I re-arrange her enclosure (she would walk around a bit, really slowly, and web here and there, not much).

That being said, I'm fine with these as long as I can make sure she is comfortable, it's my main objective.

Anyway, let's follow-up, cheers!

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Hi there :)

Also had kind of the same issue with my new B. Albo that I got two weeks ago, when I reduced a bit the humidity and fed her she went back on the substrate and stayed on it. Today she is half on the substrate / half on the wall.

My two concerns with her are (might not be real issues):
- She really does not like her hide, almost never been inside (might be the plastic cup that I chose, will replace it with a cork bark).
- She does not move a lot, and can stay in the same position for a day or so. She is mostly active when I feed her (happy dance everytime), or if I re-arrange her enclosure (she would walk around a bit, really slowly, and web here and there, not much).

That being said, I'm fine with these as long as I can make sure she is comfortable, it's my main objective.

Anyway, let's follow-up, cheers!
Just adding 2 little pics :)

Attachments

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
that could work. sometimes it can take a bit for T to build a home.

sounds normal.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
that could work. sometimes it can take a bit for T to build a home.

sounds normal.
Thanks Tenebrarius! Yes nothing to really worry about I believe ;)

Hope the OP can have his B. Albo back on the ground! (But yeah, what seemed to work for me was: humidity adjustment / feeding) :)