T with No Fangs, How Should I Feed Her?

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
Yesterday my Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazillian Giant White Knee) molted. Everything seemed fine, she was even drinking water earlier today. I was just checking on her and I noticed that both of hers had broken off! I don't understand why this happened since everything seemed fine. I can't find the broken fangs in her enclosure and I wonder if they just didn't develop all the way? One appears to have an inner part extending the outer break (if that makes sense).
Whatever the case, I'm not gonna give up on her and I am seeking advice on how I should feed her. Should I pre-kill food and mimick live prey to get her to eat? I'm open to any and all suggestions, thank you and have a wonderful day.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh wow that completely sucks! I really don’t know if there’s a way to compensate for no fangs. If they’re there but just tiny/ not fully developed than maybe you won’t have an issue. Have you tried prekilled feeders yet to see how/ if she takes them?
Any pics?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A picture of her would greatly help see what's up personally. I would try cricket mush in your case, but it really sounds worrisome.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Cricket soup would be the way to go. Mash up some crickets, maybe add a little water to get it to be more of a paste and voila. Hopefully she takes to it.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I probably would use mealworms or superworms instead of crickets, more juice. ;) And superworms will fatten her up more quickly, so she will hopefully moult sooner.
How big is she anyway?

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
A picture of her would greatly help see what's up personally. I would try cricket mush in your case, but it really sounds worrisome.
Oh wow that completely sucks! I really don’t know if there’s a way to compensate for no fangs. If they’re there but just tiny/ not fully developed than maybe you won’t have an issue. Have you tried prekilled feeders yet to see how/ if she takes them?
Any pics?
This is the best photo I could get, my phone doesn't have the best camera

Attachments

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
Maybe I can make a cricket and superworm mixture. I was considering buying silkworms since they have a really soft body, but they might be a bit big for her, though I could cut them. I want to say her leg span now is about 4 inches now

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The new fangs could be inside the old ones that are attached to her shed exoskeleton. How large is she? You just need to get her to her next moult and there is a good chance that they will be regenerated successfully.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
The 1st time I had a T with no fangs I gave superworms and mushed them up and left it on a small plastic "plate", it was just hard plastic that i cut into a round shape and made sure it had no sharp edges. I replaced the water dish with a larger one and made sure it was always full:nurse:. She eventually molted and unfortunately died during molt, I assume there was something wrong but could never figure it out. (Was a B. Vagans so quite hardy)

My point being that my T although it died did make it to another molt with no fangs so it is possible.

Good luck, keep us posted :doctor:

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the best photo I could get, my phone doesn't have the best camera
That’s really unfortunate. As someone else stated, the new fangs could have been caught in the old molt and detached during the molting process. Good luck with her. Keep us updated and let us know when she molts again.

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
The new fangs could be inside the old ones that are attached to her shed exoskeleton. How large is she? You just need to get her to her next moult and there is a good chance that they will be regenerated successfully.
She's about 4 inches now, so it might be about 2 months before she molts again if not more. I agree, they must've gotten stuck in the molt.

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
The 1st time I had a T with no fangs I gave superworms and mushed them up and left it on a small plastic "plate", it was just hard plastic that i cut into a round shape and made sure it had no sharp edges. I replaced the water dish with a larger one and made sure it was always full:nurse:. She eventually molted and unfortunately died during molt, I assume there was something wrong but could never figure it out. (Was a B. Vagans so quite hardy)

My point being that my T although it died did make it to another molt with no fangs so it is possible.

Good luck, keep us posted :doctor:
Thank you, I'll have to find/make a small 'plate' for her. I'm hoping that she'll eat since she likes to drink water. How long did your T go before she molted? I'm sorry that your T did not make it.

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
Bug soup and T may still die.
I'm hoping since she likes to drink water that if I replace her water dish with bug soup then she will figure out that it's food. All I can do it try to feed her and if that works hope that the next molt is a good one.

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
That’s really unfortunate. As someone else stated, the new fangs could have been caught in the old molt and detached during the molting process. Good luck with her. Keep us updated and let us know when she molts again.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that that's the only explanation. I will def post updates, and hopefully positive ones.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm hoping since she likes to drink water that if I replace her water dish with bug soup then she will figure out that it's food. All I can do it try to feed her and if that works hope that the next molt is a good one.
Smart idea!

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Thank you, I'll have to find/make a small 'plate' for her. I'm hoping that she'll eat since she likes to drink water. How long did your T go before she molted? I'm sorry that your T did not make it.
My T made it to her next molt about 60 - 70 days later. This was fairly long ago so I am not confident in the exact amount of time it took. Also remember the T was barely a juvie so it will have molted quicker than a larger specimen.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Sometimes, in this hobby, what works for me wont necessarily works for you, thats why we have to gather as much info as possible.

That said, your spider doesnt seen to have no fangs at all, it seems they are broken. I had this problem one time with an immature male L. parahybana.

What I did at that time was fed him with raw meat. I know this is sound controversial and, tbh, I dont know how this could be good or bad for the T.

But he ate it and molted and got his fangs back to normal. Unfortunately, I didnt take pics of it, it was in 2007 and I didnt even think it could be helpful someday.

Clark McGuire

Arachnopeon
So she did not eat the bug soup, however, she did eat a pre-killed mealworm that I dropped in front of her :D