T stirmi Pre-molt

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
I'm almost positive mt T Stirmi is in Pre-molt based on other threads I have looked at. She has been a rabid eater from day one, I've had her for 9 months, and just about a month ago she stopped eating and she is acting very lethargic. I have seen differing opinions on how long pre-molts on a stirmi can take so I thought I'd ask the professionals. Over a month seems like a long time to be in pre-molt. Also her butt is almost completely bald and I don't know if this is a sign or not but she seems to be wobbly when she walks.

The reason I am asking is because I bought her a new enclosure because the one she is in is an old fish tank and is too tall for a t stirmi. I want to transfer her but if she is in pre-molt I want to wait until she has completely recovered. See the attached pics and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Old Enclosure

Old enclosure.jpg

New Enclosure

New enclosure.jpg
I plan on adding foliage when I move her over.

Spider 1.jpg

Spider 2.jpg

Spider 3.jpg

Jared781

Arachnobaron
In my opinion she definitely looks plump!
I got no experience with this species so I'm just shooting from te hip

Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm almost positive mt T Stirmi is in Pre-molt based on other threads I have looked at. She has been a rabid eater from day one, I've had her for 9 months, and just about a month ago she stopped eating and she is acting very lethargic. I have seen differing opinions on how long pre-molts on a stirmi can take so I thought I'd ask the professionals. Over a month seems like a long time to be in pre-molt. Also her butt is almost completely bald and I don't know if this is a sign or not but she seems to be wobbly when she walks.

The reason I am asking is because I bought her a new enclosure because the one she is in is an old fish tank and is too tall for a t stirmi. I want to transfer her but if she is in pre-molt I want to wait until she has completely recovered. See the attached pics and let me know what you think.
Over a month is not too long for pre molt. Depending on species, size, individual spider, etc, they can go much longer than a month. There is no way to say for sure when it will molt.

Baldness is not a sign of pre molt, it is wear and tear and from kicking/losing hairs. When a spider is in pre molt it's entire abdomen will get dark. From what I can tell of your pics, it's abdomen does look to be darkening.

When exactly it will molt, I can't say. Make sure to keep temps and humidity correct since Theraphosas are finicky spiders, and have very specific husbandry requirements.

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
In my opinion she definitely looks plump!
I got no experience with this species so I'm just shooting from te hip
Compared to how she was when I get her, she is definitely more plump (see below).... Hopefully I'm not feeding her too much (10-12 crickets a week).

dsc_0231-web.jpg

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
Baldness is not a sign of pre molt, it is wear and tear and from kicking/losing hairs. When a spider is in pre molt it's entire abdomen will get dark. From what I can tell of your pics, it's abdomen does look to be darkening.

When exactly it will molt, I can't say. Make sure to keep temps and humidity correct since Theraphosas are finicky spiders, and have very specific husbandry requirements.
I have the room I am keeping her in at 80 degrees. I have been having a hard time keeping up the humidity. What is your opinion on the Repti Fogger? I just bought it today and it seems to be doing the trick.

Shell

Staff member
I have the room I am keeping her in at 80 degrees. I have been having a hard time keeping up the humidity. What is your opinion on the Repti Fogger? I just bought it today and it seems to be doing the trick.
I honestly have zero experience with using a fogger of any kind. I know there were some threads discussing it recently though. If you run a search on it you should find some info regarding actual experience with one.

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
When a spider is in pre molt it's entire abdomen will get dark. From what I can tell of your pics, it's abdomen does look to be darkening.
So in your opinion do you think I should wait until she molts to transfer her to the new enclosure?

Shell

Staff member
So in your opinion do you think I should wait until she molts to transfer her to the new enclosure?
I personally would, unless there is something very wrong with her current enclosure that is detrimental to her health. Pre molt can last a while, but because there is no way of knowing how long it will be, it's better safe than sorry IMO.

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
I personally would, unless there is something very wrong with her current enclosure that is detrimental to her health. Pre molt can last a while, but because there is no way of knowing how long it will be, it's better safe than sorry IMO.
Would Phorid flies qualify? I just found out today that they can possibly be hazardous to their health.

BTW thanks a lot for your replies. :)

Shell

Staff member
Would Phorid flies qualify? I just found out today that they can possibly be hazardous to their health.

BTW thanks a lot for your replies. :)
Honestly, not sure there. I have never dealt with phorid flies, any way to try and get rid of them without moving the spider?

While I wouldn't go around recommending to rehouse a pre molt spider; if you're concerned about it's health in its current enclosure, and it isn't currently in the actual process of molting, you can most likely rehouse it without issues.

Ideally yes, waiting until after the molt would be my suggestion, but as I said I am not familiar with phorid flies. Hopefully, someone else will chime in and tell you if they are enough of a problem to require immediate rehousing.