T stirmi is a pet hole

Cherri

Arachnopeon
She used to be out in the open all the time. Now she just hides until i feed her. I love her all the same, but she's so impressive to look at that it's disappointing. :(

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Honestly a bit of a fear for me, I keep large NW terrestrials that are known to be out in the open for the most part, I’d hate for them to be a pet hole as adults haha. But who knows, it can all change in the next molt or two!

Cherri

Arachnopeon
Hop
Honestly a bit of a fear for me, I keep large NW terrestrials that are known to be out in the open for the most part, I’d hate for them to be a pet hole as adults haha. But who knows, it can all change in the next molt or two!
Hopefully. She's 6" right now. I'd love to see a 10" spider out all the time. For the most part i own NW species that are known to be in the open too and they are. Even my p metallica is usually visible.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yep... this is typical for T. stirmi and the entire Theraphosa genus. In fact, in the wild they've been observed making extensive burrows. They're basically semi-fossorial IMO.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
My Theraphosa blondi always hides, very skittish and incredibly fast.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My T.blondi comes out at night but quickly runs back to her burrow if she feels the slightest disturbance. During the day she's in her burrow.

She's been like that from a sling and I don't expect her to change. But I'm fine with that.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Totally worth the glimpses u get of super impressive spider in my opinion. Theraphosa are awesome. In my experience the larger they get the more u see them

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You should rejoice, instead. There's nothing able to give comfort to the heart like seeing only a burrow in an ocean of substrate, or seeing only a bit of (spider) legs, coming out from a burrow :pompous:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Watch the first 10 seconds of this video. That's pretty much what my lass is like during the day. Even if I lure her all the way out she'll still run back to her burrow.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Watch the first 10 seconds of this video. That's pretty much what my lass is like during the day. Even if I lure her all the way out she'll still run back to her burrow.

While personal tastes are personal, it's honestly beyond me the fact that there's keepers that dislike Theraphosa species aesthetics... I think they are lovely and that 'mangled' look reminds to me 'Fallout' Ghouls :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
While personal tastes are personal, it's honestly beyond me the fact that there's keepers that dislike Theraphosa species aesthetics... I think they are lovely and that 'mangled' look reminds to me 'Fallout' Ghouls :)
I think Theraphosa are stunners. What's not to like about a massive velvet chocolate tarantula?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Hate to rub it in, but my T. stirmi is out 99.99% of the time. I have her in a 20 gal. long, half with about 1 inch moist sub, the other half 6 inch deep dryer (but not dry) sub with a large cork bark tube going into it. She spends all her time on moist 1 inch sub, right at the front of the tank. She only uses her hide when something scares her, which is very rare, and then she comes right back out after a few minutes.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You should post a pic of the enclosure. If she/he's staying deeper in the substrate, the enclosure may be a little on the dry side. My stirmi is extremely active and always out. Could just be an approaching molt too. Mine will eat up until the last minute essentially, but she definitely slows down and displays the typical premolt symptoms.

cold blood

Staff member
Hate to rub it in, but my T. stirmi is out 99.99% of the time. I have her in a 20 gal. long, half with about 1 inch moist sub, the other half 6 inch deep dryer (but not dry) sub with a large cork bark tube going into it. She spends all her time on moist 1 inch sub, right at the front of the tank. She only uses her hide when something scares her, which is very rare, and then she comes right back out after a few minutes.
Well sure, if the damp sub is only an inch deep, it cant burrow there...lol.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Well sure, if the damp sub is only an inch deep, it cant burrow there...lol.
Well, like I said the deep side isn't dry and she could burrow there if she wanted. She's molted twice (out in the open) and eats like a champ in my care. Not every T follows the "rules".

Cherri

Arachnopeon
You should post a pic of the enclosure. If she/he's staying deeper in the substrate, the enclosure may be a little on the dry side. My stirmi is extremely active and always out. Could just be an approaching molt too. Mine will eat up until the last minute essentially, but she definitely slows down and displays the typical premolt symptoms.
I keep it more moist than my asian forestscorpions, but not "swampy". This isn't a great picture, but she has a big water dish for humidity too.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
That pic looks fine to me from what I can see. I always leave one side of the enclosure a little dry on top just to let the T choose if it desires. Id say it's either getting close to molting or it may have just changed behavior wise, they do that sometimes :rofl:. How's the airflow?