1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T. stirmi concerm

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by evilkarot, Aug 8, 2018.

1. evilkarot

evilkarot Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello all!! After a long time without having any T's, I finally got one again. Found an AWESOME deal on a T. stirmi that I couldn't pass up. After having her (I hope it's a her) for about 4 months, I've noticed that I NEVER see her out and about. She's always in her tunnel with the doorway filled up with soil. I remove some of the soil to peer in to make sure she's still alive, and she is. I put a small roach in there for her to eat and I never see it again, so I assume she ate it. But, I peek in on her the next day and her door is all covered back up. So, my question is, is this normal behavior or am I doing something wrong? Humidity is in the 70's and temp varies between high 80's and low 90's. One side of the tank is moist (which is where her home and tunnel is) and one side is dry. Any suggestions?

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    Don’t really know much on Theraphosa care so I’ll let someone with more experience handle that, but what your tarantula is doing is completely normal. She’s covering up the entrance to her burrow/hide because she wants privacy. Stop clearing the entrance. She’ll come out when she’s ready.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    How big is the enclosure, and the spider?

My sub 3” hasn’t attempted a burrow, and seems content to just hang out in the 4.5” square enclosure and eat, and eat and eat...

4. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnolord Active Member

Texas
    High 80's and low 90's is pretty hot, I'm guessing you have a heat lamp or a heat pad on the enclosure and I'll be willing to bet that is the reason the spider is hiding. In the wild tarantulas will burrow to escape heat as their burrows are moist and cool, where they will be comfortable. It sounds to me like your spider is just doing what any wild tarantula would do, and it's trying to burrow to escape the heat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Lets see some pics of your setup.

6. evilkarot

evilkarot Arachnopeon

Yeah, I've read several different sites that recommend anywhere from 75° to 90°, so I try to keep it somewhere around the middle. She is about 3-4 inches and kept in a 40 gallon vivarium. I'll get pix when I'm home. Here's a pic I took shortly after I got her.

Attached Files:

7. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight

Indiana
    Don’t poke holes and put feeders into a blocked burrow. Very common to hide in a burrow for a number of reasons.

8. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoprince Active Member

Well said if he’s using a heat mat or lamp that can kill a T. I miss my Goliath which has a tumor out of the box I kept it $45 refund shoulda been $100
    well she looks like my king baboon did, both stirmi And kB are same color . Make sure it can’t get hurt falling can u get a pic of full container .?

9. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Surprised no one mentioned this, but thats not a theraphosa, its a juvie P.muticus.

You'll find that these are avid burrowers and unlikely to stay out in the open for long. They still need some moisture, keep the deeper layers of the sub moist at all times...flood the burrow slightly every now and again as well, this will provide it with some drinking opportunities.

Don't be surprised if you don't see it much, thats normal with this sp.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I absolutely agree with @Nightstalker47 - that's not a Theraphosa of any kind. Instead of an NW terrestrial you got an OW fossorial, meaning it will not come out of it's burrow very often. Your temps are really, really high - I wouldn't go as high for any tarantula since there are some studies providing evidence a tarantula starts to suffer at temps above 95F and low 90s is pretty close to that limit... If you use a heat lamp or a heating pad you are likely to either dessicate or simply cook your tarantula.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Spiderguy47

Spiderguy47 Arachnoknight

Don't use any heat source for any tarantula and don't worry about humidity percentages. All tarantula species are just fine at room temperature and the humidity doesn't need to be exact, if its a tropical species dampen the substrate a bit more, if its an arid species keep the sub dry, but most importantly always provide a water dish. The reason you see those temps and humidity levels is because those are usually the averages in their natural environments. Also yeah, that's no Theraphosa, most likely P. Muticus and I hope your patient because that species is extremely slow growing. A forty gallon is gigantic for that little spider, general rule of thumb for any terrestrial/fossorial is 2-3 times the legspan for the length and width and 1-1.5 times the legspan between the substrate and lid.
    This last bit is very important, always do a lot of RESEARCH, impulse buys are what lead to you getting the wrong species or taking improper care of it. If you want a spider, research your butt off before looking for one. I hope you do eventually get a T. Stirmi, as they are a wonderful spider but remember that research is important, even an adult would be too small for a forty gallon (however if you set it up right you could spoil it with extra space and live plants).

12. evilkarot

evilkarot Arachnopeon

Thank you all for your ideas. I've turned off the heat lamp. Hopefully she'll come out soon!! Here's the pix you've asked for. 2 pix of her tank and one of her closed up entrance

Attached Files:

13. Spiderguy47

Spiderguy47 Arachnoknight

Holy crap that is a large tank. If he/she is in fact P. Muticus, your going to need a much smaller enclosure that can hold roughly 8 inches of substrate. They love to burrow.

14. Ultum4Spiderz

I mentioned it looked like a king baboon but I’ve never had a small Goliath. So wasn’t 100%.
    What’s this tank cost $499 it’s a monstrosity of a massive exo terra?

15. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

The enclosure's not appropriate. Not only is it vastly larger than you would want, but the front opening doors prevent the addition of enough sub....P. muticus is one of the all time kings of burrowing...deep sub is preferred.

Also its best to keep the floor relatively clear...lots of ground cover merely gives feeders an infinite number of hiding spots.

16. Ultum4Spiderz

Looks like a good tank for a big lizard or reptiles , are any Ts big enough for 40gal exo terra? T stirmi would need deeper substrate Incase fall.