T safe ways to discourage bugs from coming in the house

Quinnk74

Arachnopeon
My wife and I are in the process of moving into our new house, it has lots of plant growth really close to the first floor doors and we need something safe for our tarantulas, snakes, etc.. to try to keep non pet insects outside. The animals are kept upstairs but I really don't want to spray and sticky traps are not even being considered. Thoughts?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
What kind of insects? U can make a solution of water/salt or just sprinkle salt around any cracks/crevices. This works for my ant problem

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Nothing in particular, just trying to keep most of them out. We are just north of SLC Utah so we don't have anything really nasty.
Oh I’m sorry lol I’m on my phone trying to multitask so I read it wrong. I thought u said you already had insects you were trying to get rid of. But if that’s the case u can just spray raid on the outside to help prevent any from trying to come in

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
My wife and I are in the process of moving into our new house, it has lots of plant growth really close to the first floor doors and we need something safe for our tarantulas, snakes, etc.. to try to keep non pet insects outside. The animals are kept upstairs but I really don't want to spray and sticky traps are not even being considered. Thoughts?
Baking powder works too, in crackes and crevices along the floor board...
keeps all crawling things out... fly strips hanging outside, or bug zappers too.
I’m in Germany so when spring comes flies are the annoyance along with mosquitoes.
I will be damned if those mosquitoes attack my T’s

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
bug screens on doors and windows could help bugs from getting in. also you could put up a true spider and let it eat everything, they will probably naturally come anyways.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
bug screens on doors and windows could help bugs from getting in. also you could put up a true spider and let it eat everything, they will probably naturally come anyways.
Nope, here in Germany I have Dörrs for Windows, which yes we do have screens for them... however being the building itself is so old the Stadt that I am in will not allow me to put screens up... it’s really dumb.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Nope, here in Germany I have Dörrs for Windows, which yes we do have screens for them... however being the building itself is so old the Stadt that I am in will not allow me to put screens up... it’s really dumb.
was referring to OP, sorry you can put screens up...i dont know what Dorris is

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The best thing really is to make sure your house is really well sealed and that there isn't anything attracting bugs (like ants).

There are various herbs and spices people swear by to discourage bugs from coming inside, but I have never tried anything like that.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
To tell you the truth, I stopped doing anything but spot treating any hills. We have a healthy population of spiders that moved in and they take care of the issue for us. I almost never see a bug inside, just the occasional spider.

Quinnk74

Arachnopeon
Thanks folks. I wanted to encourage as many true spiders as possible to congregate but the wife still has a mild arachnophobia (way less since we got our tarantulas though) New screen doors and some baking powder should be enough to keep her happy. Thanks again