t. Psychedelicus

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I want to learn more about these beautiful tarantula's. What level of difficulty is needed to maintain these in captivity, and what do they look like as mature adult? Any and all knowledge/insight is appreciated!!

crlovel

Arachnopeon
A quick Google image search shows plenty of adult specimens. I'm eager to hear of any additional information on keeping, myself.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
There pretty pricey up here, Ive had there cousin Thrigmopoeus truculentus and its pretty much the same care. They need plenty of moist substrate along with a water-dish to hold humidity and to create there intricate tunnels. Make sure to have good ventilation to prevent it from getting to stuffy.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I have two juvenile females. They're pet holes, although they've made some really interesting burrows that grow over in a mound. Lots of cross ventilation, full water dish, and moist substrate. Often times I'll see their irridescent legs at the top of the burrows, but they're quick to retreat at a stimulus. VERY pricey tarantulas at this time.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I have two juvenile females. They're pet holes, although they've made some really interesting burrows that grow over in a mound. Lots of cross ventilation, full water dish, and moist substrate. Often times I'll see their irridescent legs at the top of the burrows, but they're quick to retreat at a stimulus. VERY pricey tarantulas at this time.
Wow 2 specimens :eek:, Were they slings and how much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking?

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I got them as smaller juveniles from a member on this forum in a trade. I was just going by current prices for these T's and they've always been expensive.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Hopefully with some breeding efforts they will become more readily available in the US, for cheaper prices.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There pretty pricey up here, Ive had there cousin Thrigmopoeus truculentus and its pretty much the same care. They need plenty of moist substrate along with a water-dish to hold humidity and to create there intricate tunnels. Make sure to have good ventilation to prevent it from getting to stuffy.
so, kind of like chilobrachys?

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I hope the price drops rapidly here in the states, with successful captive breeding. When they first started appearing in the hobby, I saw them for upwards of $2,000 us dollars. And they were selling. Fast.

MsBuzzKill

Caltuckian
I have 0.0.3 approximately 1" DLS currently and as already said, they are certainly pet holes. However, I do love their "dirt skyscraper" burrows. Spazzy little speed demons, but every now and then I'm lucky enough to catch a full body glimpse.
I also agree with the "damp substrate, good ventilation, and a water dish" comment made earlier. Looking forward to watching mine grow and develop.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bah, i refuse to spend so much for a Theraphosidae. Those prices (those i saw here) are crazy. I leave that spider to Jim Morrison ghost.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Holy expensive tarantula! You all threw one at me that I actually had to google and now I want one. Sigh. Thanks guys.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they grow slowly I still can't sex the molts ahhah i rip them or they rip it for me.

i think they need to be a bit dryer than I had first thought but that's all relative when someone says 'dry' or 'wet'

yes hope the prices drop too. started out with 200 euro last year in Europe. now its about 140 euro over there for young slings.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I hope the price drops rapidly here in the states, with successful captive breeding. When they first started appearing in the hobby, I saw them for upwards of $2,000 us dollars. And they were selling. Fast.
Not sure what you saw for sale that was $2,000 , but it wasn't psychedelicus. The first asking price in the U.S. was $540 for a sling. Still a ridiculous price for a spiderling if you ask me. That price dropped fairly quick, as I doubt many people took that bait. I've seen them advertised now for $200, which is less then half the original asking price in just about a year that they have been available. So I would say the price is dropping rapidly, as they always do.

Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus Sanap & Mirza, 2014 by Tom Patterson, on Flickr
Later, Tom

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have 0.0.3 approximately 1" DLS currently and as already said, they are certainly pet holes. However, I do love their "dirt skyscraper" burrows. Spazzy little speed demons, but every now and then I'm lucky enough to catch a full body glimpse.
I also agree with the "damp substrate, good ventilation, and a water dish" comment made earlier. Looking forward to watching mine grow and develop.
Can I see the way you have the enclosure and what you use as an enclosure for your three?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
They're about 110 euros here in Europe. People should've learned by now that prices on similar species don't stay high for long :p