T on craigslist- ID?

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grrr..

Well, I sent the person an e-mail right after I posted this thread. The weekend's passed, and no response.
What's more frustrating is this is the 3rd craigslist ad I've responded to within a week, and no replies. The others were for an apartment, and a free feeder roach colony (which woulda been awesome) In addition, I didn't get any response regarding a trade offer through this board. For a bit I was wondering if my e-mail was working properly, but what it really comes down to is that people can be rude flakes :embarrassed:
I thought it was maybe a rosea, since that's the most common pet store T round here, but I guess we'll never know

Anyway, here's another T listing I found, but I don't feel like going for it, especially after all these non-responses. Plus, I ain't driving to Islip. It's a blue phase A.seemani. Ha, look what else you should give it in addition to crickets :rolleyes: Green peas, right? ;)
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pet/445506290.html

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that's scary - that person feeds that tarantula fruits and veggies? :eek: What a health nut! :D It's a gorgeous tarantula but the $40 price tag seems a little steep.

I think some people on Craigslist post just for the fun of seeing how many people are interested in what they're selling :rolleyes:

-Sarah

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Craigs list is always hit or miss, I have both bought and sold items there. I have found that if you don't get a response in a day, two at most its usually not going to happen.Usually if people don't list a phone number I don't bother.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't think that is an A. seemani at all, let alone blue phase. It's a mature male and mature male A. seemani don't look like that.

As for the original poster, I too think it looks possibly like B. albopilosum, it does not look like a Grammostola at all. Those shots would show a mirror patch if there was one to show.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Craigs list is always hit or miss, I have both bought and sold items there. I have found that if you don't get a response in a day, two at most its usually not going to happen.Usually if people don't list a phone number I don't bother.
I tried using Craigslist yesterday. I put up an ad trying to sell my photography and less than 3 hours later, I got an email telling me that my ad was flagged for removal and would be deleted. :? I just don't get it. Other people had posted their websites and yet it wouldn't let me post mine.

-Sarah

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just replied to the seller telling him that his tarantula is a mature male, he should find out what species he is and find it a female quickly. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The seller in this ad.. http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pet/445506290.html .. has a mature male G.aureostriata not A.seemanni. If anyone is local with that person and have a female, they should try getting in contact with him, let him know what's going on and see if he'll give it to you for free or atleast lower the price for breeding.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried using Craigslist yesterday. I put up an ad trying to sell my photography and less than 3 hours later, I got an email telling me that my ad was flagged for removal and would be deleted. :? I just don't get it. Other people had posted their websites and yet it wouldn't let me post mine.

-Sarah
funny, but people are even selling themselves on here.. And they flagged your lovely photos. I haven't found anything on craigslist that looked like would be a fair or safe deal. Just seems like a shady little nickel to me, and I probably will never use it. Good for laughs though, especially some of the stuff that is "free". LOL free broken cement, cellphone antenna (unindentified), and one that was especially funny, "if you come and haul away this FREE dirt, you will get a FREE 10$ STARBUCKS GIFT CARD!"

uhhhhh ok..

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The seller in this ad.. http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pet/445506290.html .. has a mature male G.aureostriata not A.seemanni. If anyone is local with that person and have a female, they should try getting in contact with him, let him know what's going on and see if he'll give it to you for free or atleast lower the price for breeding.
Paul, you're absolutely right, it is a G. aureostriata - I can't believe I didn't notice the different patterns on the legs :8o It looks like its ready to moult, that might be why its currently lacking the distinctive mirror patch :? Poor thing, it sure is pretty though.

funny, but people are even selling themselves on here.. And they flagged your lovely photos. I haven't found anything on craigslist that looked like would be a fair or safe deal. Just seems like a shady little nickel to me, and I probably will never use it. Good for laughs though, especially some of the stuff that is "free". LOL free broken cement, cellphone antenna (unindentified), and one that was especially funny, "if you come and haul away this FREE dirt, you will get a FREE 10$ STARBUCKS GIFT CARD!"

uhhhhh ok..

I would think selling photography is a lot less harmful than what some people probably use Craigslist for! {D I don't know, I was eager to try and advertise my prints. I guess I won't be posting on Craigslist again :wall:

-Sarah

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
call me Blindy McCantSee..

I don't think that is an A. seemani at all, let alone blue phase. It's a mature male and mature male A. seemani don't look like that.
I just replied to the seller telling him that his tarantula is a mature male, he should find out what species he is and find it a female quickly. :)
Yowza
Ok, how big are mature male G.aureostriata? Aren't they considered one of the larger T species? There's a pic of it next to measuring tape, is that how big they get?
What indicates that it is male, what am I looking for in the pics?
What indicates that it is not what the seller says it is? I just googled A.seemanni pics and they look so similar. The pictures have a cool tone, it makes it hard for me to see that it is G.aureostriata, which are brown colored. What are the indicators that I'm missing? (I have a G.aureostriata, so I see the similarities in leg stripes)
Just tryin' to learn :eek:

-Sarah
Aww, that's friggin' lame. Where'd you post it under? Depending on where it is, people can consider it miscategorized. The right spot would be in Community- artists.
You didn't show any nudes, did you? There are enough prudes out there ready to flag I'm sure
Your best bet would be to have your own site, then use craigslist every so often for some free publicity

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yowza
Ok, how big are mature male G.aureostriata? Aren't they considered one of the larger T species? There's a pic of it next to measuring tape, is that how big they get?
What indicates that it is male, what am I looking for in the pics?
What indicates that it is not what the seller says it is? I just googled A.seemanni pics and they look so similar. The pictures have a cool tone, it makes it hard for me to see that it is G.aureostriata, which are brown colored. What are the indicators that I'm missing? (I have a G.aureostriata, so I see the similarities in leg stripes)
Just tryin' to learn :eek:
Well A.seemanni mature males, don't exactly look like that. The markings on the legs are too yellow for A.seemanni, and just perfect for G.aureostriata. The measuring is a little off because it doesn't start from the tip of leg 1, so if it were to actually be measured from there it looks like it can be a 5.5" legspan, possibly even 6"(which is about the average size for MM G.aureostriata).

Here's a pic of both mature males..
A.seemanni
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=16977&highlight=seemanni
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=17499&highlight=seemanni

G.aureostriata
http://thebts.co.uk/forums/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/528

Now, what you're looking for in a mature male is hooks and bulbs. To the untrained eye it's very hard to see in those pictures, but I can make them out. Here's some pictures of hooks and bulbs from different species..
Hooks - located on the 1st pair of legs

Bulbs - located on the pedipalps