T.ockerti

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a pair of T.ockerti from tarantulacanada today and Im wondering what the best setup is. I've read most people keep them as terrestrial/ burrowers? At the same time I've read they're arboreal in the wild.

Would Arboreal be a better idea?
4inch female

Smaller male

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congratulations !! eastern sides getting some :) hehe beautiful spider!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure they're an arid terrestrial species. Set them up as you would Brachypelma, Grammostola, etc.

Can somebody verify? I've never kept one myself.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I consider the species semi-arboreal and they web a ton. In my experience they spend more time on the walls/vegetation than on the ground (rare). They do burrow as slings, but at 4" they won't be having much of that. A terrestrial setup is probably fine, but give them climbing room. Grats on the pair, beautiful spiders. :)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually this species can be found through out the rain forests of Peru (especially around Iquitos) and their arboreal nature stems from extensive flooding in the river basins. So keep them humid and allow for a couple climbing surfaces. In my experience their age determines their behavior; younger ones tend to climb more often, but subadults can still be observed hanging on the side of the tank.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My setups are fairly shallow. Maybe I should remove half the substrate for more climbing room. The larger female seems to be stuck to the side of the glass. The male stays near the top of the enclosure he is in as well.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Niiiice, especially the female. A semi arboreal setup is ideal for them. Keep some ground space and the flowerpot, but provide some climbing opportunities also.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check out this thread:

http://www.atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24661

The breeding is now considered successful, but no successful mating took place until the setups were changed to arboreal. There is a ton of useful information in this thread aside from the breeding details. Also, several great threads are linked within this one as well. Best of luck with your pairings.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On another note, this species has the potential of being social or at least tolerant. They have been found together in close proximity in arboreal settings.

For the OP and the OP of the thread that was linked I suggest trying a coexistence project. Remove the majority of slings of course, but keep a few in with the female and keep a group of slings together in a separate container. See if the female feeds her young, whether or not webbing is shared past the first couple instars, and, if any is displayed, capture co-feeding or hunting of prey.

I doubt they'll live together for too long since my collector in Peru mentioned he rarely found them together, but if they end up being more social than expected we may see more people keeping these beautiful tarantulas (although I see no reason why more are not in the trade already solitary or not).

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A communal would be an interesting idea. I wouldnt mind trying it and recording how that goes. Im new to breeding however. Im wondering how long it will take until my male is mature. There doesnt seem to be much information around on this species.

Im also going to be changing their enclosures to more of an arboreal setup soon.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A communal would be an interesting idea. I wouldnt mind trying it and recording how that goes. Im new to breeding however. Im wondering how long it will take until my male is mature. There doesnt seem to be much information around on this species.

Im also going to be changing their enclosures to more of an arboreal setup soon.
Exactly. You'll have a chance to provide behavior and care information for those who choose to keep this species. I kept them for a short time, but I had received them as freebies and did not see their potential. They are now in the hands of other keepers and are doing quite well.

Keep in mind though that they are probably not communal or social. Most likely they are tolerant, but how tolerant we are quite unaware at this point. Rearing success may be increased if kept with the female for several months before they disperse. You could help figure this out for those who wish to breed the species.

Fossa

Arachnopeon
I have mine in a similar setup to my GBB with a slightly higher humidity. I understand the flooding only occurs half the year which is when they tend show show the arboreal tendencies in the wild. Plenty of floor space with stuff to climb on really as people have said. You can do some really nicely designed tanks as they are sufficiently skilled climbers that you don't have to worry so much about the risk of a fall as with a brachy for example. Also any updates on the breeding project?