T.marcianus

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Beautiful! I love ring neck snakes. How big is it? What do you feed it? Have you thought of keeping more than one? They are social.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Beautiful! I love ring neck snakes. How big is it? What do you feed it? Have you thought of keeping more than one? They are social.
Ring neck? I believe their common name in the US is gartersnake.
She's quite small yet, about 40cm. She eats sprat (I believe the word is in English) and salmon. I'll be introducing heart soon. She's solitary for now, when they're small it can be a risk while feeding, or so I've read. She's mostly alone because there are not many garter snake breeders in the North of my country. I've read about their social aspect but from I've gathered it is not a must unless you want to breed them of course.

She's quite flighty and nervous still, and tends to poop all over me when I take her out, but it is getting better now I'm feeding her outside her enclosure.

I love this species, she's very active, exploring or looking for a way out (she's a true escape artist!) and feeds regularly.
I'm very jealous of the colours and patterns that are available in the US!

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Oh ok. From the picture she looked like a Diadophis punctatus. I guess it would have helped to read the thread title!! :embarrassed: Garters are also very nice. Both are common in my area but I've never kept either. Yes, snakes are very good at escaping! I had a rat snake who figured out how to undo and open several types of lids. I eventually wound up duct taping the lid on, which worked... usually.