T keeper “isolation” ?

Dman

Arachnosquire
Thats a smallmouth...the 2 in my avatar are largemouth. I live on the shores of the great lakes, so perch and trout are right there...pike are everywhere.

Its sad what happened to Europes once spectacular pike fisheries...here in the states there was a big movement toward catch and release, and selective harvest...results are that fishing across the country is better than its been in decades....my state has some 18,000 bodies of water, all pretty much teeming with fish.

All fish pictured were subsequently released.
I grew up in Anchorage Ak with a father that was obsessed with hunting and fishing. I moved to San Diego a long time ago and I miss easy fishing. I loved driving just a few miles out of town after work and fishing until 10:00pm at night and the sun was still up. We would catch so many fish in the summer. We had two large freezers in the garage. One for game and one for fish. We did not stop until they were both filled. I miss that here in San Diego. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of ocean fishing but love a good river or lake.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a smallmouth...the 2 in my avatar are largemouth. I live on the shores of the great lakes, so perch and trout are right there...pike are everywhere.

Its sad what happened to Europes once spectacular pike fisheries...here in the states there was a big movement toward catch and release, and selective harvest...results are that fishing across the country is better than its been in decades....my state has some 18,000 bodies of water, all pretty much teeming with fish.

All fish pictured were subsequently released.

Yeah, you are just starting to see them in the last decade or so. People are always surprised when I explain the reason you don't see them very often.

Thanks for the kind words, shes a great dog...i do really enjoy boxers.
Yes nice pictures! Yes i agree! We had one of worlds best pike fishing in Sweden! Lots of places, both baltic see, rivers and lakes! We had som famous fishing places like "Trosa skärgård", "Furusund skärgård" "Lödde river" and the lake "Vättern" but there where big pikes everywhe! Very good pike fishing around the island Öland, where i am from! have a magazine from the 80 when a famous american pikefisherman was in Trosa and fished with guides! It was amazing in the eighties. I caught 4 pikes over 22 pound each! In the harbour near my place! Yes catch n release was common here from the late eighties, and was inspired from american Musky fishermen and such. Nowdays pikefishing is good here but not like it once was! Overfishing and enviroment destruction is the cause! Uts a shame really!

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I grew up in Anchorage Ak with a father that was obsessed with hunting and fishing. I moved to San Diego a long time ago and I miss easy fishing. I loved driving just a few miles out of town after work and fishing until 10:00pm at night and the sun was still up. We would catch so many fish in the summer. We had two large freezers in the garage. One for game and one for fish. We did not stop until they were both filled. I miss that here in San Diego. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of ocean fishing but love a good river or lake.
I lived in Anchorage for 7 1/2 years, and my wife is from there. Her folks have been there 30+ years, and her dad and I would go fish pretty frequently. One of the very few things I miss about Alaska...lol. Hiking, fishing, and the scenery. So much fishing, so close, was amazing.

Dman

Arachnosquire
I lived in Anchorage for 7 1/2 years, and my wife is from there. Her folks have been there 30+ years, and her dad and I would go fish pretty frequently. One of the very few things I miss about Alaska...lol. Hiking, fishing, and the scenery. So much fishing, so close, was amazing.
My sister and her husband live in Anchorage still. They now own Chilkoot's

I see you may live in Portland. We moved to Alaska from Scappoose Oregon. My dad and I did a lot of Steelhead fishing in the Zigzag river and a lot of trout out of the Clackamas river.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
@Urzeitmensch
Spiders and Gay people actually have a lot in common... Usually attractive or colorful, harmless for the most part but viciously hated by many, not so bad once you get up close but too many of us can be annoying XD
I wasn't sure where you were going with that thesis. It was a real roller coaster ride! Lol But I agree. People's prejudices keep them from enjoying a lot of what life has to offer. Inverts are so interesting, and have such personality when you are patient and open to seeing it. People who dont get it are missing out.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Honestly, I've met more interesting people via the hobby than not: I'm either very selectively social, or outright antisocial (depending on the day and cynicism levels), I'm not too young anymore and you kind of get sick and tired of the BS people pull. Moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere... and the BS is worse lol, ah well, c'est la vie. I feel a lot of relatively antisocial folks (for various reasons) gravitate towards the often overlooked pets because, well, they're less likely to buy into falsehoods perpetuated by others, or don't feel any sting of ostracism for enjoying something others may not. When you're not so invested in the ebb and flow of popular opinion, there's little reason to give a rats ass what others think of what you find interesting.

The plus side is the people who are interested, well, are interested; if you've been in the hobby a while, or have quite a few species, you tend to have a lot to talk about, especially if they've been interested but not yet taken the leap. The folks that aren't? Meh. What am I losing out on precisely? Either we have other things to talk and engage with, or... we don't. If they're adamantly, willfully and intentionally ignorant via Ts and the like... I wouldn't have liked them for other reasons and that's proven pretty damn accurate. It's one thing to not know, but be willing to learn. It's another to take active effort into being like that.

A good chunk of people I've known that were phobic of spiders, stopped being such after an interest in Tarantulas, or at least had it far more manageable with the bigger 8-legged critters though, so I can't say it's been isolating in that aspect either, mostly, it's kept away folks I had absolutely no interest being involved in my life anyhow.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Definitely an isolation feeling, I was positively gushing to the T-seller I bought my recent t's from at a reptile show. It was embarrassing once I realized it, ha!! My husband is the best listener and he is learning more on his own, now, so that helps, its not just me gushing about them to him all the time, we are now comparing notes of what we learned and like. At work no one wants to see or hear about any of my critters and especially not about the t's. At the pet store we get supplies from I did meet someone that also owned them so that was nice, but in general I've stopped mentioning them to anyone unless I'm in a reptile-show environment. This forum has been great, I belonged to another one previously but couldn't remember which one so ended up here. (I thought for sure it was this one, do I look familiar? same user name everywhere I go.) enough rambling for now, hugs all around!