T in Billie Eilish's mouth.

Gavhasacurly

Arachnopeon
You're right and as reactionary as your answers and questions are I'll succeed defeat. I suppose we keep spiders in little enclosures, relative to their natural stomping ground, but, generally we do it because we are fascinated by them and want to watch a secretive, yet hugely eco-important animal we don't see in our every day lives. We also challenge ourselves by trying to promote the correct environment, encouraging not to handle and making humidity and feeding levels correct. None of us raise or keep them to eat them, but I do get your point.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
You're right and as reactionary as your answers and questions are I'll succeed defeat. I suppose we keep spiders in little enclosures, relative to their natural stomping ground, but, generally we do it because we are fascinated by them and want to watch a secretive, yet hugely eco-important animal we don't see in our every day lives. We also challenge ourselves by trying to promote the correct environment, encouraging not to handle and making humidity and feeding levels correct. None of us raise or keep them to eat them, but I do get your point.
And I, yours. Glad to see not everyone has their heels dug into a silly emotional perspective on the subject.

I think we both agree 10x over that putting a tarantula in your mouth is neither entertaining nor intelligent. I don't even handle tarantulas unless it is a docile species during a rehousing or something of the like. I think we agree on most everything but I just felt like making that point since everyone on here seems to go nuts about everything

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Are you a vegan? Are your spiders vegans?
Mostly, yeah. We eat eggs, because chickens are going to lay them whether they're fertilized or not, and even then the fertilized ones won't hatch unless one of your chickens goes broody and incubates them for weeks. My tarantulas don't seem the slightest bit vegan, though.

why is it such a crime to do a stunt with a dangerous animal of which there are millions of on the planet?
Animal abuse is about needless suffering, not necessarily about death. Animals can have wonderful lives, and be killed quickly and humanely for food, and I don't consider it animal abuse. I kill dozens of roaches and crickets every week feeding my animals, but up until that point, those animals have the best possible conditions.

I also don't think the number of animals on the planet is relevant to whether or not you're being cruel to one of them for no good reason. There are dozens of toads in our yard when it rains, and certainly millions across the planet, yet I'm not any more likely to mistreat my pet toad.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Mostly, yeah. We eat eggs, because chickens are going to lay them whether they're fertilized or not, and even then the fertilized ones won't hatch unless one of your chickens goes broody and incubates them for weeks. My tarantulas don't seem the slightest bit vegan, though.

Animal abuse is about needless suffering, not necessarily about death. Animals can have wonderful lives, and be killed quickly and humanely for food, and I don't consider it animal abuse. I kill dozens of roaches and crickets every week feeding my animals, but up until that point, those animals have the best possible conditions.

I also don't think the number of animals on the planet is relevant to whether or not you're being cruel to one of them for no good reason. There are dozens of toads in our yard when it rains, and certainly millions across the planet, yet I'm not any more likely to mistreat my pet toad.
How is putting the spider in a mouth for 15 seconds "needless suferring"?

Do you have a serious issue against the methods people use to ship T's across the country?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
How is it not? Explain the 'need' part to me. Is the person eating the animal to survive? Or are they just wanting attention, so animals need to get covered in saliva and probably think they're about to be eaten, because that's generally the only scenario in nature where other animals pick them up and put them inside their mouths.

Do you have a serious issue against the methods people use to ship T's across the country?
Unless I'm mistaken, they're not shipped in people's mouths.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
How is it not? Explain the 'need' part to me. Is the person eating the animal to survive? Or are they just wanting attention, so animals need to get covered in saliva and probably think they're about to be eaten, because that's generally the only scenario in nature where other animals pick them up and put them inside their mouths.

Unless I'm mistaken, they're not shipped in people's mouths.
No, but they are shipped in a small damp space. Almost identical to a mouth.

If they thought they were about to be eaten, they would kick hairs or bite. The spider is calm and therefore clearly did not feel threatened in any way.

Rather than me explaining the "need" for it, which would be an essay based in philosophy rather than what we are actually talking about here which is objective facts, why don't you again explain how this is actually abuse?

I saw the spider come out, it was very clearly not "covered in saliva" otherwise her mouth would be filled with urticating hairs.

Are you incapable of holding something in your mouth without covering it in saliva?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
The T had no idea it was in a human mouth. In fact, T's have no idea what a human even is.

Lucky them.

s dave

Arachnopeon
As long as the animals are handled with respect and feel comfortable (no kicking, bolting, threat postures, erratic behavior, etc) I take minimal issue with this. Was it one of the less intelligent things I've seen? Yes... was it up there with some of the Darwin awards that I've personally seen? No... was it even close to the true Darwin award winners I've seen in YouTube alone? Not a chance.

It looks as though none of the animals were harmed and I would venture to say that will all the spiders in the video there was a keeper that understood what was going on. I find this no different than Robert Irwin taking animals on the Tonight Show. "Is it best idea?" and "This is abuse!" are very different... this is not dog fighting, its supervised handling... albeit stupid handling.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I was not going to forgo comment on this thread because it is of no consequence, and has very little to do about tarantulas per se, but I can’t resist. I have lived my life professionally dealing with the problems of society. A common thread through these problems are people not being directly confronted with doing stupid things. This lack of confrontation throughout one’s life results in a lack of proper decision making that often results in some very negative consequences. Just using the word “stupid” many find appalling. However, the dictionary definition of that word applies here. Something was done with lack of understanding and common sense. The discussion of whether the spider knew it was in a mouth is moot, they have no reasoning capacity, people do and this person didn’t use it. I’m on a few different boards in addition to those pertaining to spiders, and when someone does something’s stupid with a knife, or a firearm, on those sites the reaction is the same as many have posted with ire in this thread and rightfully so. Folks who have an interest and knowledge about a subject can articulate why something may be stupid, and directly confront stupidity. People learn better through direct confrontation than by subtlety. However, at the end of the day, people must be willing to learn, and unfortunately until something negative happens in their life, they’re generally not willing. So, until they want to learn, all you can do is tell them they’re stupid.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I was not going to forgo comment on this thread because it is of no consequence, and has very little to do about tarantulas per se, but I can’t resist. I have lived my life professionally dealing with the problems of society. A common thread through these problems are people not being directly confronted with doing stupid things. This lack of confrontation throughout one’s life results in a lack of proper decision making that often results in some very negative consequences. Just using the word “stupid” many find appalling. However, the dictionary definition of that word applies here. Something was done with lack of understanding and common sense. The discussion of whether the spider knew it was in a mouth is moot, they have no reasoning capacity, people do and this person didn’t use it. I’m on a few different boards in addition to those pertaining to spiders, and when someone does something’s stupid with a knife, or a firearm, on those sites the reaction is the same as many have posted with ire in this thread and rightfully so. Folks who have an interest and knowledge about a subject can articulate why something may be stupid, and directly confront stupidity. People learn better through direct confrontation than by subtlety. However, at the end of the day, people must be willing to learn, and unfortunately until something negative happens in their life, they’re generally not willing. So, until they want to learn, all you can do is tell them they’re stupid.
Nobody is contesting the girl is stupid. We are arguing whether or not this is animal abuse.

Thanks for a gigantic paragraph tho I liked the last line

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Exactly. It does not have the mental capacity to understand the meaning of abuse, like many other animals. Humans do.

Maybe she didn't know the risks of putting a T in her mouth or she knew but did it anyway. Either way, it was inappropriate and most of her fans think it's cool and awesome. Who knows maybe one of her rabid fans might try to replicate the act and then something went wrong.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
The only real reason I'm so angered by this chick and not at all with Ozzy biting other animals heads off...
His music doesn't suck... :rofl:

Last edited:

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Going by some of the replies in this post I could have sworn I was on Reddit and that's about as negative as you can imagine. Sure, she's said the tarantula is real on her IG but is there any actual proof she did this other than the music video? So many things can be spoofed with today's tech so this could easily been manipulated to look real.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Don't even know who the person is, as well as the music, nor do I care (I'll stick to my rancheras thank you), but that is not important so moving on.

What satisfaction does a person get from putting a living creature in their mouth? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron

:rolleyes:

Don't even know who the person is, as well as the music, nor do I care (I'll stick to my rancheras thank you), but that is not important so moving on.
I had no idea who they were and tbh, I wish I still didn't because I like living under a rock, most of the time.

What satisfaction does a person get from putting a living creature in their mouth? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
This. It was probably for attention, but really? Like someone else in the thread said, those kinds of people should just stick to tidepods and leave animals alone.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Pretty sure I saw a video about this a while ago. Yes the tarantula was real, no it wasn't her in the video, it was a stunt double. This was all in an interview with her. (I had no idea who she was before that and still don't, I saw a tarantula and I clicked).

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Pretty sure I saw a video about this a while ago. Yes the tarantula was real, no it wasn't her in the video, it was a stunt double. This was all in an interview with her. (I had no idea who she was before that and still don't, I saw a tarantula and I clicked).
I wonder how long the T was actually in the person's mouth. I doubt that it was a smooth, perfect pop it in her mouth and a 'satisfactory' clip just like that.