T in Billie Eilish's mouth.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Did anyone watch her "you should see me in a crown" music video? She put a tarantula in her mouth, not sure what species but what do you guys think?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Looked like A. seemanni to me.

It's pretty silly to put a living thing in your mouth, but people are going to do what they do. I'll just quietly judge them as the fools they are.

Barry67

Arachnopeon
I have never understood why people feel the need to do these types of things putting your head in an alligators mouth is also popular amoung some. To what end...?

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I saw someone ranting about her irresponsible behavior and got shot down by people who think there's absolutely nothing wrong.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
She probably doesn't know why it's an issue to put a T in her mouth. There should be more of an "educate her" sort of conversation rather than an "attention whore" one. No reason not to be mature about this.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
Then she isn't a normal human being. I have zero tolerance for animal abuse. I suggest placing her into a rocket and launching her into the sun before she breeds.
Most people take no issue with that. People kill spiders all the time and that isn't considered cruel or animal abuse.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I wonder how many spiders were killed in the making of that video...

Most people take no issue with that. People kill spiders all the time and that isn't considered cruel or animal abuse.
I think the politest way I can say this is "Most people are bloody morons though"

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She probably doesn't know why it's an issue to put a T in her mouth. There should be more of an "educate her" sort of conversation rather than an "attention whore" one. No reason not to be mature about this.
She isn't the first one and she won't be the last. She got that idea from someone else, because people like that can't come up with novel ideas themselves, and the reaction to other people doing it would have been obvious.
I have had countless conversations with people who are whoring for attention by handling medically significant species, and putting tarantulas on their faces, and not one has ever responded with 'I didn't know better' - every single response has been 'I know what I'm doing'.
This is not about not knowing better, it's about people thinking that they are immune to the consequences of doing stupid stunts for attention on social media. They need to stick to Tide pods and leave innocent animals out of it.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Seems like it would be itchy on the throat.
I don't know... a quick 'Google Image' search (I wasn't aware of this person) just showed to me the next, average, boring "famous" drug loving fool.

Only God knows what kind of crap (chemical as well for organic) went (and goes) down in such a throat, T's setae wouldn't be a transcendental issue :writer:

spodermin

Arachnosquire
She should have used an OW because they don't have urticating hairs

Or if she really wanted to impress me, have a T. Stirmi coming out of there ;)

Gavhasacurly

Arachnopeon
Really cannot be bothered with such idiocy. Like on the TV show 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here' in the UK (and other countries, I believe). Great format. Funny conversation and challenges, but I fail to see why inverts need to suffer for it. For many years they didn't seem to kill things other than insects (and once a rat) but I really went off the show a couple of years ago when a contestant was challenged to eat a live water spider. Not clever. Humans really exploit the 'scary' nature of inverts quite often. It's like it's cool to hate spiders and be frightened of them, yet when an audience can be drawn in, they up the ante and put them in their mouths or suchlike.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Really cannot be bothered with such idiocy. Like on the TV show 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here' in the UK (and other countries, I believe). Great format. Funny conversation and challenges, but I fail to see why inverts need to suffer for it. For many years they didn't seem to kill things other than insects (and once a rat) but I really went off the show a couple of years ago when a contestant was challenged to eat a live water spider. Not clever. Humans really exploit the 'scary' nature of inverts quite often. It's like it's cool to hate spiders and be frightened of them, yet when an audience can be drawn in, they up the ante and put them in their mouths or suchlike.
I find it hypocritical how so many people exaggerate the value of the lives of spiders and other inverts, in a hobby where cricket and roach genocide is commited on a large scale, just to sustain said hobby.

Are you a vegan? Are your spiders vegans? Then why is it such a crime to do a stunt with a dangerous animal of which there are millions of on the planet?

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate a little because people on the forums get really upset when someone kills a spider or something. Part of the hobby revolves around being close to dangerous animals, so why is putting one in a mouth for an artistic performance really so horribly tabboo? If the spider really felt that uncomfortable, it would bite or kick hairs.

Besides, I'd willingly go in her mouth... If you know what I mean.

I think the song and the video are both stupid, but lets not bastardize putting a tarantula in ones mouth like this. The T's in this video seem fine. Why is everyone looking for something to cry about all the time on these forums?

Gavhasacurly

Arachnopeon
I find it hypocritical how so many people exaggerate the value of the lives of spiders and other inverts, in a hobby where cricket and roach genocide is commited on a large scale, just to sustain said hobby.

Are you a vegan? Are your spiders vegans? Then why is it such a crime to do a stunt with a dangerous animal of which there are millions of on the planet?

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate a little because people on the forums get really upset when someone kills a spider or something. Part of the hobby revolves around being close to dangerous animals, so why is putting one in a mouth for an artistic performance really so horribly tabboo? If the spider really felt that uncomfortable, it would bite or kick hairs.

Besides, I'd willingly go in her mouth... If you know what I mean.

I think the song and the video are both stupid, but lets not bastardize putting a tarantula in ones mouth like this. The T's in this video seem fine. Why is everyone looking for something to cry about all the time on these forums?
Because it was for entertainment. To draw attention to oneself needlessly somewhat at the expense of another animal. I feed my T. live insects because that's what it eats in the wild. No I'm not a vegan (my sister is and that's her choice I have no problem with). I wouldn't choose to take my T. and stick it in a tank with a scorpion and watch it fight then share it on YouTube (and people do this stuff for entertainment and likes). Same way I wouldn't kill a cow for fun and get crowds to watch. The only problem I have is folk using innocent animals for a thrill kick in the media. Had the performer been a desperately hungry woman, preparing and eating the spider, my opinion would no doubt conflict with what I just wrote. No offence meant here, just putting my previous comment into context!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel

Yes, but the website is called Arachnoboards with a focus on tarantulas. Members are here because we enjoy these particular creatures specifically, and so the reaction is stronger here than "average." If she'd done the same with a cricket or roach, I'm sure a cricket or roach hobby board would be having the same discussion.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Because it was for entertainment. To draw attention to oneself needlessly somewhat at the expense of another animal. I feed my T. live insects because that's what it eats in the wild. No I'm not a vegan (my sister is and that's her choice I have no problem with). I wouldn't choose to take my T. and stick it in a tank with a scorpion and watch it fight then share it on YouTube (and people do this stuff for entertainment and likes). Same way I wouldn't kill a cow for fun and get crowds to watch. The only problem I have is folk using innocent animals for a thrill kick in the media. Had the performer been a desperately hungry woman, preparing and eating the spider, my opinion would no doubt conflict with what I just wrote. No offence meant here, just putting my previous comment into context!
But we keep the spiders in little enclosures in our house for entertainment. Some keepers handle their T's for entertainment. So where do you draw the line?

Tarantulas do fight scorpions in nature so again, where do you draw the line?

Yes, but the website is called Arachnoboards with a focus on tarantulas. Members are here because we enjoy these particular creatures specifically, and so the reaction is stronger here than "average." If she'd done the same with a cricket or roach, I'm sure a cricket or roach hobby board would be having the same discussion.
And that would be equally as stupid. Can we not share fascination with tarantulas without turning into irrational morons?

Last edited by a moderator: