T. Cyaneolum

Sinisterways

Arachnopeon
H 20190215_114144.jpg 20190215_114144.jpg ow many have owned either H. sp Blue Peru 2 or T. Cyaneolum??

I have what was sold as an H. sp Blue Peru (Peru Blue Zebra) but based on a couple things I'm thinking they were wrong. Notice in the picture the red tuft of hair between the carapace and abdomen (from what I know and seen it's common in the T. Cyaneolum) plus the small mirror patch on the abdomen also common in the Cyaneolum

Any insight here???

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Based on what I have read, up to 3 different species may have been sold as Homeoma sp blue. Based on your pic I would lean away from cyaneoleum but I have no xp with anything from either genus.

cold blood

Staff member
Doesn't look like cyaneolum....blue is too light, mirror patch isn't right and the abdomen hairs are deep red on cyaneolum.

________

Homoeomma sp. blue would be my guess.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It's such a mess with these species. :confused:

I own both, Homoeomma sp. blue peru and Thrixopelma cyaneolum and I'm not sure if yours is even either of them.

Looking at the abdomen, I seems to be more like H. sp. blue peru, but the carapace is too blueish for it (especially at this smaller size). For T. cyaneolum the blue on the legs is definitely too light (like @cold blood said) and the colours of the abdomen don't fit either.

Here are some pictures of my Ts in question:

T. cyaneolum (at about 2") 20181015_T cyaneolum vs H sp bp.jpg and one moult later (about 2 1/4") 20190128_T cyaneoulm vs H sp bp2.jpg

H. sp. blue peru (at about 2" shortly before she moulted) 10062018_H sp blue peru vs Tc1.jpg and two moults later (about 3 1/4 - 3 1/2") 20181225_H sp blue peru vs Tc2.jpg

There's also T. lagunas (which may or may not be H. sp blue peru) and then I heard of a new species, Thrixopelma sp. blue, that popped up here in Germany recently (haven't seen a picture yet), a very reputable breeder is selling them here.

@Tomoran recently made a video about Homoeomma sp. blue peru:

I'm leaning more to H. sp. blue peru with yours.
No idea if this helps at all, but I thought I'd chime in. ;)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my experience T Laguna's doesn't have a red sideways mohawk that H sp blue has. Also T Lagunas tend to be slightly darker blue (you can't really tell from pictures though) another way I've been told to Id them is that H sp blue has cream leg markings whereas T Lagunas develop gold markings from young.

Only sure fire way would probably be through spermatheca (maybe). Here is my T lagunas that I've raised from 1cm IMG_20180907_231021892.jpg

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thrixopelma cyaneolum used to be sold in the hobby as Hommoeoma sp. Blue small. The other species, the "large" one, that is a different species from T. lagunas, is what's currently sold as Hommoeoma sp. Blue/Peru II but from what I've read it doesn't really have the characteristics of the Hommoeoma genus and it might in fact belong to Thrixopelma. I suspect that Thrixopelma sp. Blue is the same species, I've got 2 juvies that were labeled as Hommoeoma sp. Blue and 3 slings bought as Thrixopelma sp. Blue, these slings look identical to how Hommoeoma sp. Blue used to look as slings.

However doing some searches on Thrixopelma sp. Blue I did found this post from spidershop.pl with a different, and really cool IMO, looking spider labeleled as Thrixopelma sp. Blue. I did get my 3 slings from Poland but it was from spiderworld.eu, so I guess I'll have to wait and see how they coloration changes as they mature.

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood I still have a T cyaneolum adult female in my collection but unfortunately I still can't find a male
well kezy got a male (boina) and bred them....finally...so at least there are young ones out there...i think they should be a year old by now....so we could start seeing a random MM pop up in the near future.

It would be hugely beneficial to the hobby if this species became more available...its my opinion that they may just be the prettiest, calmest, best beginner species there is...and theyre pretty blue.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well kezy got a male (boina) and bred them....finally...so at least there are young ones out there...i think they should be a year old by now....so we could start seeing a random MM pop up in the near future.

It would be hugely beneficial to the hobby if this species became more available...its my opinion that they may just be the prettiest, calmest, best beginner species there is...and theyre pretty blue.
I agree they are about as perfect as a tarantula gets. I' m glad theres a few young out there it's needed badly, I bet if we showed this species and did a poll it wouldn't be far off the top of most keepers lists

Theneil

Arachnoprince

I just hope most the offspring go to people who will breed them...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
H View attachment 300197 View attachment 300197 ow many have owned either H. sp Blue Peru 2 or T. Cyaneolum??

I have what was sold as an H. sp Blue Peru (Peru Blue Zebra) but based on a couple things I'm thinking they were wrong. Notice in the picture the red tuft of hair between the carapace and abdomen (from what I know and seen it's common in the T. Cyaneolum) plus the small mirror patch on the abdomen also common in the Cyaneolum

Any insight here???
That picture is not clear enough for a positive ID for T. cyano.

While T cyano are blue all over, they are also covered all over their body in very distinct orange setae, much like GBBs abdomen.

Here's my AF, her orange setae across the body are not noticeable in this pic.

I'm not an expert on this species, but I don't feel yours is T. cyano.