Species Theraphosa blondi

Lars Butcher

Arachnopeon
Hey,

I just picked up a new Nikon D70 and was anxious to take some pictures so of course, my T's 'voulenteered' to be the subjects for the new camera. I took a few others, but I really liked the Blondi pictures because she poses for me. Enjoy.

~Lars

Lars Butcher

Arachnopeon
She's about 8.5" at the moment, I think theres another molt or two left in her before she's fullsize. Actually, she's coming up on one and and stopped eating for the last few weeks. When her appetite was in full swing, after she had a hopper, her carapace was enourmous.

~Lars

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice Blondi.... how long did it stay in that pose :D

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering if anyone had a pic of a juvi T blondi?

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
About 3" but just moulted and it's 3.5 or 4" now, I haven't gotten a good look at it since the moult though.

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Fred said:
How big and how old?
Oh, geeeeeez.....! I don't know. It was such a long time ago I took that pic!! {D Heh. Sorry, I should have included SOME detail, huh?

Roughly 3 inches, I'm gonna say. And it was a male. Long since expired.

Rourke

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This sling is not only big - but it seams really healthy and well taken care of!
What do you think is best for this sling to eat given it's smaller size? Pre-killed smaller crickets or cut up meal worms?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey nice lookin sling you got there...to tell you the truth i feed all my slings live food and that one looks plenty big enough to take down small pin head crickets of even small crickets....i think if its over 1.5 inches in legspan and has a pretty bulky looking body you can fead medium crix or even a little bigger but i could be wrong...all i know is that the pokie i recieved yesterday about 1.5 to 2 inches in legspan took down and big cricket with no problem at all and so can my other little T's that are right around the 1.5 to 2 inch mark as well...but wait and listen to some other opinoins also the people on these boards are very smart and know what they are talking about...good luck with the little one and congratualtions... :clap:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
andy83 said:
What do you think is best for this sling to eat given it's smaller size? Pre-killed smaller crickets or cut up meal worms?
Neither.

A T. blondi spiderling like that will easily eat medium [4 week], if not larger, live crickets. In general, I recommend feeding spiderling tarantulas crickets [or other prey] equal to the overall length of the body [chelicerae, carapace and abdomen combined, legs excluded].

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah what they said....

Dont the uricating(itchy) hairs of that blondi bother you? They are supposedly the worst of tarantulas.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool -thanks everyone...thats what I though but I just wanted to be sure. The hairs do itch but it doesn't bother me too much. The adults hairs are worse and they do get to me after a while.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My friend and I got two T.apop. slings at the same time a few months back, and they were an 1" "out of the sac", and had no problem with any size crickets. And his ate a small pinkie. HIS not mine...I haven't given mine anything other than crickets. Yet. She's gonna get her first "snack" after her next molt.

I gave mine medium crickets at first to be sure she could handle them, and realized rather quickly that just about any healty Theraphosa s'ling can take down large crickets with ease. She is hands down my best eater. And I have some voracious species...that are full grown, but this "little" lady takes the cake...and eats it too.

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got my mom to take pictures of me holding my little T. blondi baby "Sideous". He or she is such a little cutie!

Enjoy,

Laura

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL, they're so fuzzy at that age and so leggy. Is it a little eating machine?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are the hairs a problem at this age?

(Very Cute!)