1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T blondi problem

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by cpjcutts, Oct 17, 2004.

1. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello to everyone, im new to this site and have a question regurading my T blondi. its not touched any food for around two weeks now and also ive noticed the its rear is changing from a brown colour to a much lighter colour almost going to pink, is this part of the molting procedure? or could it be something more?

ive taken a picture but im not sure how to add it to this site?

also ive seen some small bug things in the tank which i assume are a mites or something they are very small size, could these be causing a problem? and like my lizards etc is there anyway of treating these. ive had confliting storeies on how often they should be cleaned out etc.

any help would be great.

2. Sheri

Sheri Arachnoking

Turning to pink sounds unusual... is it possible that she has been kicking hairs? Is there a bald patch that was not there before?

When a spider is pre-molt the abdomen will darken, from a pink, to a shiny black. But this of course, is only visible if there is a bald patch from hair kicking. And it is very normal for them to go off food before molting, with blondi, this can be a very long time. Just ensure she has access to plenty of fresh water.

3. usumbaraboy

usumbaraboy Arachnobaron Old Timer

welcome to the boards and yeah i would agree its probabbly just kicking hairs. iv never experienced it but like sheri said it turs black when its about to molt not pink but i would agree with sheri

4. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

there do seam to be hairs all over her back, but looking closer her whole abdomen is changing from what was brown to a much lighter colour

5. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

sorry for the stupid questions im very new to owning a Tarantula, and the last thing i want to do is hurt my little one.

im guessing that she has very short hairs that cover the whole abdome (brown) and longer hairs that are dotted all over as well but much further apart. she must be kicking off the shorter one's.

is this a stress thing?

6. Blondi...

If you have mites,(tiny white bugs) I suggest cleaning out your T's tank. Washing it out with warm soapy water and replacing it with fresh substrate.I use peat. There is a higher risk with mites in keeping Blondi's, as they require higher humidity.
    As far as your Blondi not feeding, I wouldn't worry. My goliath's have gone a month without feeding. Wait a few days and try it again.
    Blondi's will rub off urticating hairs when stressed out. Keep your T quiet and remove any bright heat lamps. Limit air flow, moving air irritates them.
    (in my experience)
    It is odd that her abdomen is turning pink, turning dark is a sign of molting.
    She may just have flicked off some urticating hairs and is bare-butted.
    Make sure she has fresh water at all times. :)

7. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

hopefully this pic will work, this will give a better idea on whats going on

louis

8. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

many thanks for the input everyone, if anyone has any other ideas then please let me know :)

9. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

just one last question.

how often should blondi's molt? :?

10. Molting of Blondi's

Adult Blondi's will molt once a year or so. Younger T's more often. Telltale signs are going off feed, lethargy and the abdomen turning very dark as the cuticle underneath prepares to greet the world.

11. D4RK-3L3M3NT

D4RK-3L3M3NT Arachnosquire

USA
    Does anyone here keep T. blondi's under dry substrate and only a large water dish? Would this jeopordize a T. blondi's lifestyle to humid dependency? I have mine under humid conditions but often find myself changing the substrate due to mites every so often.

12. Sheri

Sheri Arachnoking

Yup, I keep mine on peat, with a large water dish, and have had no problems at all.

13. Mike H.

Mike H. Arachnoprince Old Timer

I also keep my T.blondi on dry peatmoss and a water dish....no misting or overfilling the water dish here...and NO mold, no mites and no problems...imo all the talk about blondies having to be "wet and blistering hot" is way overrated...all my spiders are kept in my basement...at room temps...around 72 to 75 degrees... ;)

Regards, Mike :worship:

14. I keep mine on 50/50 peat and soil with a big wate dish and a full screen lid that I cover half of. She gets penty of ventulation and her RH still stays where it needs to be, around 80%. I usually mist her in the morning when I get up and maybe in the afternoon if I think she needs it, other than that, the water dish takes care of it.

15. D4RK-3L3M3NT

D4RK-3L3M3NT Arachnosquire

USA
    Would this also apply to W.C. adults? I've been told these have a more difficult time adjusting. And considering I've already had to lose one W.C. adult a few months ago, now I am trying to keep this one under moister conditions. Hmm...

16. Sheri

Sheri Arachnoking

If she is WC I think you would want to gradually lower the overall humidity...
    However, I would like to hear from someone more experienced with WC T. blondi.

17. cpjcutts

cpjcutts Arachnopeon

just a little update, all seams ok with my T.
    still not eaten but it's abdomen has now gone very dark so i guess its going to molt soon.

panic over for now :)