T. blondi died

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In your "help my T.Blondi" thread prior to its death, you didn't mention you'd fed it wildcaught prey did you?

I don't feed wildaught stuff to mine, or live vertabrates. My brother often says "but they do in the wild".

My response is always "Yeah but in the wild I havn't paid *insert amount* :D "

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also in the wild... (french guiana) I doubt there are any pesticides or chemicals being sprayed around. and yeah I fed it a baby bird, I guess I just went retarted or something, I figure if it was in grass that had been fertilized or sprayed with weed killer or it could have been anything really. trust me I will never again feed anything that I am not 100% positive that it hasn't been exposed to anything. just such a shame that it was the first sling I got and I wastched it grow from one inch to allmost five and was eagerly awaiting its next molt where it probably would have been arond six inches. I got really attached to the little guy took all I had to throw it away, I actually didn't untill it started stinking. I think I will stear clear of blondi's for a while and get some of the more hardy and colorfull species. maybe divide its old 20L into three sections or something?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry she didn't make it.

As for getting another T, I'd go with an L. parahybana also. My 7" female is my favorite, great diplay T and is very active. And not to mention has the atitude like she owns the place :D

Jim B.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah I will get another T. blondi becaus ethey are awsome but I might just buy the adult we have at the store... I allredy know its a female so what the heck

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
yeah I will get another T. blondi becaus ethey are awsome but I might just buy the adult we have at the store... I allredy know its a female so what the heck
If it's wild caught I'd avoid it, unless it's a long-term captive. I've seen too many wc T. blondi die to ever buy one. That and I don't want to remove another one from the wild. Why they don't acclimate well is anyones guess, but it could involve parasites or collection methods. I favor the latter, since the usual way of getting them out of their burrows is to pour gasoline into them; it doesn't matter to the collectors that the mortality rate is sky-high, because there's a thriving trade in dead tarantulas too. I strongly recommend buying cb goliaths. The time it takes for them to grow up is really not that long, and cb adults are on the market too.

Steve

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
I've been pondering getting a T. blondi spiderling myself. But they are pretty pricey, although I am paying 50 dollars for a 1/4" B. cyaneifemur from Kelly Swift so I'm kinda sounding like a hypocrate.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
Sorry she didn't make it.

As for getting another T, I'd go with an L. parahybana also. My 7" female is my favorite, great diplay T and is very active. And not to mention has the atitude like she owns the place :D

Jim B.
My 1 3/4 " L. Parahybana has been starting to develop said attitude as of recently.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what about a king baboon johnny,they are <stinking> aggressive and great fun to have

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sham,Tarantulas
what about a king baboon johnny,they are <stinking> aggressive and great fun to have
Ooooohhh!!! I want a King Baboon too. Can you keep them in plastic Pet Pals without worrying about them escaping?

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes mate just make sure the lid is taped well down,they like the temp very high,humidity is not to bad around 75%,you should here this things stridulate,its very impressive,they are quite slow growing so i would suggest getting a large one!!

The most important thing about this spider is it must have deep substrate and be allowed to burrow cause if not you will stress it to death!

if you ask me these things eat T blondi for breakfast,they are just so aggressive!!!!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sham,Tarantulas
yes mate just make sure the lid is taped well down,they like the temp very high,humidity is not to bad around 75%,you should here this things stridulate,its very impressive,they are quite slow growing so i would suggest getting a large one!!

The most important thing about this spider is it must have deep substrate and be allowed to burrow cause if not you will stress it to death!

if you ask me these things eat T blondi for breakfast,they are just so aggressive!!!!
So basically I could keep them like my other two African Baboons who like conditions a little drier than most Tarantulas.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got an 'adult' female C.Crawshayi arriving this thursday, just got the tank ready earlier.

The actual size wasn't stated, though from my experince 'adult' can refer from 4" to 9"+

hmmm I'm guessing It'll be a tiny one though, but I'm preparing incase it's huge and nasty.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
My 1 3/4 " L. Parahybana has been starting to develop said attitude as of recently.
Interesting. I have a 4 incher that doesn't give me any problems. If I get too close, it might flick a few hairs at me, but overall, he seems pretty laidback. I don't try to handle him though. :)

Wysi

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by WYSIWYG
Interesting. I have a 4 incher that doesn't give me any problems. If I get too close, it might flick a few hairs at me, but overall, he seems pretty laidback. I don't try to handle him though. :)

Wysi
They don't really give me any problems, but I don't leave my hand in there long after my female starts advancing towards it!

It's just funny to see how they react to ANTHING going on in their enclosure. The other day I was trying to remove her water dish to change it out and she ran over grabbed on to the dish and started hissing and wouldn't let go. I had to put it back down and come back later.

She's a stubborn one ;)

Jim B.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by WYSIWYG

Wysi
Mostly she throws up threat postures at crickets I put in for feeding time. She's a little spaz too. She darts around her enclosure like crazy at the slightest sound.

bigdaddy

Arachnopeon
My Blondi died a couple of weeks ago, the strange thing is i went in to see it in the morning and it had sunk its fangs deep into its own body! 1 and a half year old female 8in leg span.

Has anyone ever heard of them killing themselves? It happend a week after her moult, she lost a leg during it.

Mez

Arachnoknight

Surely the correct answer would be no, those enclosures aren't tall enough to allow enough substrate for this fossorial spider to burrow in.