T. blondi died

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok my T. blondi that was acting all spazzy has died.. what did I learn from this you ask... well never feed anything wild caught to your T's!!! I fed mine a baby bird and a week later it is dead. so its better just not to risk it. ok now I have a question, I have a newly empty 20 gallon long, what would look good in it. I want a big T. but I want it to be a good display T as well, maybe a goliath pinkfoot. or a large geniculata. what do you guys think maybe a parahybana? I just need something to fill the void.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats really too bad bro.
But its a good lesson for all of us here.

I have a large A. auerostriata in a 10 gal. tank.. Its a great display T.

Ernie

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
damn man that sucks, id say a pinkfoot or you cant go wrong with anther blondi, also a large female parahybana would look cool

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
damn man that sucks, id say a pinkfoot or you cant go wrong with anther blondi, also a large female parahybana would look cool
My L. parahybana is a burrower. Although its a juve. Maybe as adults they stay topside?

E

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it were me, I'd shy away from T. Apophysis...But that's because I'm short on cash.

It dies and you're out a lot of money.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
My L. parahybana is a burrower. Although its a juve. Maybe as adults they stay topside?

E
mine is about 5 inches i have a flower pot in there and just sits on top of that most of the time during the day at night he goes exploring he rarly ever uses his flower pot to hide in and he dosent burrow, the only time he hides is when he grabs a bunch of crickets and runs into his hide thats about it

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my 5" L.parahybana sits out all day waitin for me to drop in a helpless pinkie/fuzzie

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would take a serious look at Lasiodora spp. like L. parahybana and L. klugi. They seem less problematic than T. blondi and are usually comparable in size.

That's too bad about your Theraphosa. Was it wild caught?

Steve

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you should get another T.blondi. Sorry too hear he died get another one that will help get over it.:)

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your tarantula.:(

Get another Theraphosa blondi. Most definitely.:)

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have decided to get an adult A. bicoloratum... I think its a pretty good choice myself does anyone have any experience with these?? let me know how you like them.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by defour
I would take a serious look at Lasiodora spp. like L. parahybana and L. klugi. They seem less problematic than T. blondi and are usually comparable in size.

That's too bad about your Theraphosa. Was it wild caught?

Steve
That sounds like a good idea! L. striatus is a very nice-looking critter, eve more so than L. parahybana. I have a 7-incher myself and she seems plenty happy in her 10 gallon tank. I don't think she really needs anything larger than that she has quite a bit of room where she is now.

Wysi

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
I have decided to get an adult A. bicoloratum... I think its a pretty good choice myself does anyone have any experience with these?? let me know how you like them.
I have a bicoloratum. He's perfectly happy in his shoe-box sized container and he's about 3.5 to 4 inches now. I think if you really want to use your 20 gallon tank, you need a bigger species than a bicoloratum as they don't get particularly large. The care page
at pet bugs says 3.5 to 4 inches is the fullgrown size so I'm thinking Gizmo, my bicoloratum, will be maturing soon.

Wysi

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
ok my T. blondi that was acting all spazzy has died.. what did I learn from this you ask... well never feed anything wild caught to your T's!!! I fed mine a baby bird and a week later it is dead. so its better just not to risk it. ok now I have a question, I have a newly empty 20 gallon long, what would look good in it. I want a big T. but I want it to be a good display T as well, maybe a goliath pinkfoot. or a large geniculata. what do you guys think maybe a parahybana? I just need something to fill the void.
I recommend a L. parahybana.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry

Thanks for sharing. That removes any temptation for me to feed any wild caught animal to my T's.

Sorry for your loss and good luck with your new T man.

-Charlie

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: sorry

Originally posted by Charlie
Thanks for sharing. That removes any temptation for me to feed any wild caught animal to my T's.

Sorry for your loss and good luck with your new T man.

-Charlie
I just don't feel comfortable feeding my Arachnids wild caught anything. You just don't know what kind of diseases, pesticides, etc. they might have been exposed to.