1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T Behavior - Denying Pre-made Burrow!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Albino Characterantula, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Albino Characterantula

Albino Characterantula Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey guys,

Like usual, I got a question that stems out of sheer curiosity not concern--unless I should be.

I have an A. Chalcodes and A. Seemani both with a lot of substrate and some fake plants (I can provide pictures if needed). Anyway, both of them absolutely ignore their hide and instead hide in the fake plant (Chalcodes) or has made a mote around his wooden hide and pushed all the dirt and plants off to one side of the cage (Seemani).

Temps in the house range between 72-78 degrees. All my other T's like their homes except these two! Before rehousing the Chalcodes (4 days ago) her hide was above ground and she would always go to it.

Do they eventually snap out of it and use their premade home or do they eventually settle into something they prefer? I'm a bit confused, I feel like every video I've seen the T seems to love it's hide.

Apologies for this question because I know the answer more than likely will be "let them do their thing" but JUST in case it's indicative of something then at least I'm asking the right community.

(both enclosures: MORE than enough substrate, cork bark hide buried into the dirt and I made an opening with my fingers, water bowel, sphagnum moss and dassit.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnodemon Active Member

I have had individuals take to the hide I have provided immediately, but others take a long time... if ever. My guess is, because of the species you have listed, that they will eventually take to the hide you have provided for them. However, they might prove me wrong by making their own. Both of these species are usually fairly visible, the chalcodes more than the seemanni in my experience, but both of mine head for their hides when disturbed.
    I have both of the species you are asking about and it did take a while for them to take to the hide I gave them. They eventually both did, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pictures are always needed. Its the best way to get the most accurate help on here.
    Youre very correct, theyre just being spiders. A. seemani likes to dig, so moving all the stuff you probably carefully planned and placed makes perfect sense. Its why i carefully planned and placed 0 plants in my enclosure. Still just as active as any other I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Albino Characterantula

@JoshDM020 I was going to take pictures this morning but then I thought "nah, I dont need to ask.. they are just being spiders".. then I got to work and it was slow so I decided to ask haha.

Thanks guys, I'll load pictures later today.

@VanessaS yes my Chalcodes likes showing off and being visible. One of my Seemani's loves its burrow, it dug all the way to the bottom of the tank. But this other bugger I got is a real thrasher. Not
    that I mind it's destructive traits.

5. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Spiders do all kinds of weird things with their enclosures. I put some fake leaves in my sling enclosure for the little guys to hide under if they wanted, and when I came back one of them was upside down on the lid, another was in a burrow, and yet another was see-sawing back and forth on the leaf. The see-saw spider then threw a bunch of dirt on the leaf and decided to sit in the open instead.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Albino Characterantula

Hey guys here are the enclosures:

Seemani:
    22E23986-657F-4AB1-AB10-FB0C383D527E.jpeg
    Besides the burrow.. this demon has rearranged everything else

Chalcodes:
    1B268FA3-84DA-4CFB-BF02-D92B48912ADF.jpeg

7. Theneil

Theneil Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    i have an A. chalcodes sling that rarely hides (never digs) and an adult A. seemani that for about a month completely refused it's premade burrow then one day completely adopted it and i haven't seen it out since.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Albino Characterantula

“Be careful what you wish for” I guess. Haha! I don’t mind them hanging out just want to make sure it’s not due to any reasons caused by me unintentionally

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

My A. seemani is my most prolific digger. If I were you I would change the layout of the tank. Instead of setting up a cork bark burrow you can dig a hole along the side of the enclosure all the way down to the bottom. It will zip down there in minutes. That way you can observe it through the wall as it goes to work which is insanely cool! One word of caution though - it will most likely dig out the entire bottom of the enclosure and the worst case scenario could be that the burrow collapses after a while. Substrate shrinks as it dries so keep an eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DagmarV

DagmarV Arachnopeon Active Member

Not to hijack the topic but thank you for mentioning this. My B. vagans sling is making a tunnel system right now all through the very bottom of his container. What do I do in the event of a collapse? Can they dig out or do I have to rescue them? Also, would redampening the fiber help hold it in place?

I've kept hermit crabs for years and they're perfectly happy to dig themselves out of collapsed cocofiber holes but they also have some sand to help hold it together and stay damp, but spiders... obviously no sand.

11. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    They can dig themselves out just fine. They probably won't be too pleased that the burrow collapsed but eventually they'll just make a new one.
    Possibly, but getting the husbandry right is more important than trying to avoid an already rare occurrence. Keep the substrate a little moist as a sling, but once it hits 2 or 3 inches you should be able to let the enclosure dry put just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

Are the walls of the container slightly tapering in towards the bottom of the enclosure? As in / instead of | ? If so the substrate could end up being a "cork" as it dries, preventing it from sinking down. Redampening the fiber after it has dried can actually be dangerous as substrate from the roof of the burrow can come loose and fall down.

Also make sure to stamp down the substrate really hard when you set up enclosures.

That being said I don't think a sling would have too much trouble digging itself out but that might depend on the severity of the collapse. My Ephebopus murinus sling had a burrow collapse during a molt. It survived but lost three legs during the rescue (all grown back now!).

• Like Like x 1
  13. DagmarV

DagmarV Arachnopeon Active Member

Okay whew. Don't worry, the cocofiber isn't bone dry by any means, and I pack down the substrate pretty tight when I set up the containers.

There's a good 2"-2.5" that he dug through up and around his cork bark (made a little mountain for himself). The bottom stays moist but with all the new holes he digs he's been exposing the deeper layers to air which is drying it out faster than I like. I try to mist or make it rain a little as needed and he has a water cap to help keep moisture.

You can see here its dry up top but down in the hole and below it's moist. This is a couple weeks old though, much more holes now haha.
    20180712_110802.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2