T arrived with missing leg

hstarr78

Arachnopeon
Ordered a 4-4.5 in GBB female through reputable breeder. Paid $225+shipping (yes, a little much). She came in today with a missing leg. The leg wasn’t in the packing and wasn’t stated as missing. Breeder just missed it. I’m really disappointed but not angry. What do you suggest I should do to resolve this issue?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Ordered a 4-4.5 in GBB female through reputable breeder. Paid $225+shipping (yes, a little much). She came in today with a missing leg. The leg wasn’t in the packing and wasn’t stated as missing. Breeder just missed it. I’m really disappointed but not angry. What do you suggest I should do to resolve this issue?
1st of all don't worry about the leg it should grow back in the next moult or 2.
2nd contact the dealer see what they have to say about the matter it should have been advertised as that so should have got it for cheaper or free shipping

hstarr78

Arachnopeon
I did contact the dealer. They asked how would I like to resolve it. Said they must have missed it and was apologetic. Any suggestions of what kind of discount I should ask for? I can work with a store credit situation. Just don’t know how much to suggest.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I did contact the dealer. They asked how would I like to resolve it. Said they must have missed it and was apologetic. Any suggestions of what kind of discount I should ask for? I can work with a store credit situation. Just don’t know how much to suggest.
If you're planing on ordering from them again just ask for free shipping on the next order and a free sling, you usually get free slings if the order is over a certain amount anyway

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The T. came alive, so I wouldn't really want to beg the dealer out for a discount or apologetic gift. While a missing leg is not really part of the deal you hope for, at least it came alive. Just give a molt or two for its leg to fully regenerate. The dealer was kind of off not stating about the leg. But the question was that was the leg already lost? Or did it lost the leg during the shipping?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Paying that for a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a bit much in the 1st place you should have got something for free

hstarr78

Arachnopeon
The T. came alive, so I wouldn't really want to beg the dealer out for a discount or apologetic gift. While a missing leg is not really part of the deal you hope for, at least it came alive. Just give a molt or two for its leg to fully regenerate. The dealer was kind of off not stating about the leg. But the question was that was the leg already lost? Or did it lost the leg during the shipping?
It def did not during shipping. Thoroughly checked paper towels.

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry, but a missing leg is inconsequential...it will grow back....asking for compensation is like asking for a discount on a new dog because you dont like the way its hair is cut.

It arrived alive and otherwise healthy...sorry, the seller doesnt owe you any compensation...you recieved what you paid for.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
As long as the specimen arrived healthy, its really not a big deal. The leg will grow back in no time.

You cant really expect the seller to compensate you for a lost leg...although I agree it should have been mentioned.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I bought a C.albostriatium that was missing a leg. It didnt slow it down one bit from making an awesome burrow system, I guarantee your ggb will still web just fine, as said before not a big deal at all.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As others said above, it's a no big deal issue, luckily. Yes, sucks, no matter, obviously (I would be a liar saying the opposite) because no one wants to receive a seven legged Theraphosidae, but still, don't worry about that.

I'm always impressed by the U.S prices, no matter... I've paid my female 'GBB' basically $40 (in the Euro Vs $ change) shipping included, but anyway, T's are cheaper, here.

hstarr78

Arachnopeon
As others said above, it's a no big deal issue, luckily. Yes, sucks, no matter, obviously (I would be a liar saying the opposite) because no one wants to receive a seven legged Theraphosidae, but still, don't worry about that.

I'm always impressed by the U.S prices, no matter... I've paid my female 'GBB' basically $40 (in the Euro Vs $ change) shipping included, but anyway, T's are cheaper, here.
Yes, it was too much and I knew that. However, it is a gift for my wife who is very sick. So sometimes you just have to overpay if you’re able.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like you worked it out with the seller, so that's positive!

Obviously not really a problem in the big picture if the spider is missing a leg, but I definitely think it's "bad form" not to mention it to a buyer. Most people definitely do. I've bought tarantulas with missing legs before and didn't ask for a discount or anything, but if the spider just shows up minus an appendage that's kind of a different situation.

asking for compensation is like asking for a discount on a new dog because you dont like the way its hair is cut.
To me it's more akin to buying a dog with a broken leg. Yeah, the dog will get over it, but the animal was still sold in a physically injured state and that's relevant information for the buyer to have. What if the spider is missing two legs? Or three or four?

cold blood

Staff member
To me it's more akin to buying a dog with a broken leg. Yeah, the dog will get over it, but the animal was still sold in a physically injured state and that's relevant information for the buyer to have. What if the spider is missing two legs? Or three or four?
No way, a dog with a broken leg is in serious shape, and can't do most anything till it heals...If it heals properly....the t on the other hand, is in no peril, needs no extra attention, and will get around and be just as effective doing all things spider as it would with the extra leg.

Even a spider missing several legs will get around fine, hunt normally, web the same and even burrow just as well.

A t with a missing leg is NOT injured...not any more than we are with a bad haircut. A single missing limb isn't an indicator of poor health in any way.

A ts leg is designed to be replaceable and grow back, just like the dogs hair;)

I do agree most sellers would mention it...but it's not always easy to notice, and that may just be the case....that's what was told to the buyer, and I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.

Last month I sent a MM to a member after I paired him....when he arrived, he had only one palp, it wasn't in the shipping box, and I literally never noticed it had lost it. Ts carry themselves well with missing limbs, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No way, a dog with a broken leg is in serious shape, and can't do most anything till it heals...If it heals properly....the t on the other hand, is in no peril, needs no extra attention, and will get around and be just as effective doing all things spider as it would with the extra leg.

Even a spider missing several legs will get around fine, hunt normally, web the same and even burrow just as well.

A t with a missing leg is NOT injured...not any more than we are with a bad haircut. A single missing limb isn't an indicator of poor health in any way.

A ts leg is designed to be replaceable and grow back, just like the dogs hair;)
Yep, isn't comparable. The (spider) missing leg will eventually grow again, and for free, and said spider wouldn't suffer at all, meanwhile.

A dog with a broken leg is painful for both the dog and the keeper, a serious issue and, last but not least (has to be said) an helluva of time and $$$ for the vet. and the after surgery recover. Serious stuff.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I hear ya... I guess for me it's more about the "physical damage" part in principle than the practical aspect about recovery. And I'm just talking about the need to be transparent, not the discount question. Doesn't matter how long it will take to fix or how much it costs or how serious it is in your opinion... if you're selling something, whether it's a tarantula or a car or whatever, you should mention it if some of the parts are missing/broken and you know about it! Sounds like we agree on that part, though, just not my analogy.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not even the slightest bit similar. At most, a T missing a leg could be compared to a dog missing a tooth. And both conditions can be overlooked.

you should mention it if some of the parts are missing/broken and you know about it!
The OP said the seller claims to have not noticed it.

Heck, I picked up a sling in person and didn't notice she was missing a leg until I rehoused!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I've never had a leg lose however I've been here enough to say: legs are like women, they go away and come back after you change yourself. it is a bad analogy and makes no sense but legs grow back.

frankly I think they should have discounted it just me personally, but they didn't see it whatever.