Sydney Funnel Web Found in ARKANSAS!

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sydney Funnel Web Found in ARKANSAS! (Could be misID'ed Trapdoor)

I just saw this on a local news website. Now why couldn't I had been the one to find this!

From:http://www.fox16.com/news/local/sto...-Arkansas/ZoOylotTcUSjsx3Ccg-emw.cspx?rss=315
Man Discovers Deadly Australian Spider in Arkansas

Updated: 10:17 am Published: 9:34 am

At first glance, Rick Gann thought he saw a normal house spider.

“When I saw the spider’s reaction to me, I knew instantly what he was,” Gann said.

Gann says it’s a Sydney Funnel Web – native to Australia – and very lethal.

“The fact that he's so aggressive, he won't back down. That's what makes him so deadly.” Gann said.

The Bryant resident says before anti-venom was developed in the early 80s, the Sydney Funnel Web was responsible for 300-400 deaths a year.

“They inject an enzyme that liquify their prey and they soak it up like a milkshake,” Gann said.

And when a Sydney Funnel Web bites – you’ll feel it immediately.

Rick Gann says the effects are horrendous. Sweating, heart palpitations, blood pressure and the possibility of deaths for adults.

“A healthy adult...2 to 3 hours, possibly.” Gann said.

Gann says the Syndey Funnel Web is capable of killing a child in 30 minutes. It’s attracted to water – so parents really need to watch their children at the swimming pool this summer.

“This spider has daggers and he strikes with a downward force. Its fangs are sharp enough to pierce a fingernail,” Gann said. “If you step on him even with flip flops and miss...yeah...”

Gann warns not keeping a close eye on any spider can be a deadly mistake.

Sydney Funnel Webs are not normally found in Arkansas. Gann plans to take his find to a local entomologist to confirm the spider species.

Because of the discovery – Adams Pest Control in Little Rock plans to publish its newsletter earlier this month to warn parents about the spider dangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gann warns not keeping a close eye on any spider can be a deadly mistake.
What a load of BS!

Gann says the Syndey Funnel Web is capable of killing a child in 30 minutes. It’s attracted to water – so parents really need to watch their children at the swimming pool this summer.
Yeah, there are probably tons of Sydney Funnel Web spiders lurking around Arkansas swimming pools.

Last edited:

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
terrible photos. but looks like some type of trapdoor spider, probably native.

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep jsloan these are the type of myths and misinformation I live with here in Arkansas.

The pics are indeed horrible. I agree that it could possibly be a black trapdoor. Now why couldn't I had been the one to find this one!!!! Can you say new addition to the collection! lol

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That guy is an idiot. "They're not normally found in Arkansas." Ha. Try never. I can't wait until he takes it to the entomologist and they laugh at him. How do they explain it being here?

Remember, if you find a spider that has a "reaction" to you of "not backing down", than it most certainly is a Sydney Funnel Web. :wall:

Oh, and read some of the comments. Especially from Patrick.

Last edited:

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh, and read some of the comments. Especially from Patrick.
Yes indeed! Patrick is me. I signed up there just so I could comment and tell them that it is obviously not a wolf or house spider. Apparently here any big spider is called a wolf spider regardless of color, body size/shape, and habits. And the guy saying its a house spider, well all I can say is, "face to palm." I don't understand why the news station couldn't have gotten a clear picture of it.

All I can do is tell them it either is a Sydney Funnel Web or it is actually a Black Trapdoor. I dunno how much more obvious it could be that it isn't a wolf or house spider. Unless they post a clear pic there is no way to tell between those two.

It could easily be Ummidia audouini or Ummidia carabivora. Both are native Black Trapdoors. I definitely don't trust that guy to be able to tell between those or a Sydney Funnel Web lol.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^ I'm glad somebody is registered to set them straight. Although I am wondering why you said it is either a trapdoor or a Sydney Funnel Web? How could it even be a Sydney Funnel Web?

super-pede

Arachnobaron
do you seriously believe that there is a remote chance that that is a funnel web?
there is no way.

Eagercannibals

Arachnopeon
While the pictures are not very clear or all that helpful, I don't doubt that there are funnel web spiders roaming around in Arkansas. There were reports of Lion fish in the Long Island Sound. Lion fish are definitely not native to the LIS, much less could they survive that long there, but people do stupid things and release animals into places they shouldn't be. Its very much possible that someone could have released funnel web spiders anywhere in the U.S. Does that mean this person found one? Who knows, we don't have the spider in front of us to identify.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While the pictures are not very clear or all that helpful, I don't doubt that there are funnel web spiders roaming around in Arkansas. There were reports of Lion fish in the Long Island Sound. Lion fish are definitely not native to the LIS, much less could they survive that long there, but people do stupid things and release animals into places they shouldn't be. Its very much possible that someone could have released funnel web spiders anywhere in the U.S. Does that mean this person found one? Who knows, we don't have the spider in front of us to identify.
One question: How did it get here?

I would also like to point out that most native MM mygalomorph are all black. So throwing out Sydney Funnel Web as a possibility is ridiculous.

Eagercannibals

Arachnopeon
One question: How did it get here?

I would also like to point out that most native MM mygalomorph are all black. So throwing out Sydney Funnel Web as a possibility is ridiculous.
Sorry but how did what get there? What are you referring to? The spider or the lion fish I mentioned?

And I agree that it is ridiculous that he threw out that it was a funnel web, out of all spiders that would make more sense to say it is... I feel like he was just hopeful that he found something interesting to talk about. I knew someone who claimed she was bit by a brown recluse, highly unlikely considering her hand was only mildly swollen.

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Let me just clear up my statements made on the news site a bit. I was mainly referring to the people calling it a wolf or house spider. If you look at my first statement I told them that the pics obviously look like a funnel web OR trap door and it is OBVIOUSLY not another type of spider.

My main point was to say that it in no way resembles a wolf or house spider and DOES look much more like a pic of a Sydney Funnel Web or Trap Door.

If those pics were put here and no location was known I'd think people would say it is either definitely a Trapdoor or Funnel Web, not anything else, and then ask for more details or clearer pics. Basically this is what I was doing.

I did come back and post another statement, being more clear, saying the specific species it could be.(in fact the dang thing posted 3 times lol). Basically I wanted to make them aware it either IS a Sydney Funnel Web Or one of 2 Native Trapdoor species. From the pics I can tell there is no way it is any other type of spider. Super-pede, I seriously do believe it COULD be a funnel web. Stranger things have happened and in today's world species do end up where they shouldn't be. I have always subscribed to the belief that anything CAN happen.

Now, however unlikely, it is entirely possible a Sydney Funnel Web could make it over here. Just look at Florida. Species invasion does happen. I see it being POSSIBLE a Sydney Funnel Web COULD make it here, especially with the somewhat recent import of Australian tarantulas. I doubt it tho.

I will not make my FINAL decision until I see clear pics or video or hear from an entomologist who has examined the specimen. I HAVE decided it IS either a Funnel Web or Trapdoor and no other species though. To me it just simply has to be one of the two from what I'm seeing. I will say after thinking and starring at trapdoor and funnel web pics for a very long time I'm leaning towards trapdoor, but the pics are just too fuzzy.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looking at the pictures of the local trap doors and sydney funnel web.. an untrained eye and fear mongering news caster could easily make the mis-identification..

next thing you know you'll hear someone died from a bite because of a mark on their arm.

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
id

I would say it is a trapdoor spider but definitely not Atrax or Hexethelidae! Photo is too blurry but does not seem possible that it would be found there in Arkansas.or anywhere else unless deliberately released.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone have an update on this ? , I find it very intresting, would be strange if it was.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
it's also not probable that this a funnel web because a sydney funnel web spider can kill a man in ten seconds, just by staring at him.