Switching to peat/coco substrate tips?

JamesGSixx

Arachnopeon
Salutations, friends! So I got a ball python and a red tail boa 4 weeks ago. My bp is housed in a wood glass enclosure, while my rtb is in a tub glass enclosure with paper towels as substrate. Their temperatures are spot on 90-95f on the hot side, 70-75f cold side. The humidity in both terrariums are pretty bad though ranging from 45% to 50%, this is when I don't mist. Both of them have humid hides filled with damp sphagnum moss to compensate but the problem is they're spending too much time on those hides instead of going to a regular hot/cold hide.

So I'm planning to change substrates to peat moss or coco fiber instead of paper towels. For the reason being so, I don't have to regularly mist, and I could take out the big humidity box that's taking up so much space and so it looks better and naturalistic.

However, My main concerns are
  • Mold - I keep a bunch of tarantulas and sometimes their substrate which is coco fiber/peat moss, seems to get mold. These don't really affect tarantulas though, so it's no problem for them, not unless it's been sitting there for a very long time. Note that these tarantula enclosures have more ventilation than the snake's tub/terrarium and it's already getting mold so what more with the vents that the snakes have?
  • Mites - Again, a common problem I face with my tarantula's enclosures. When the substrate is damp, they usually start showing up, Not an alarming number but just a few that you can notice them. I'm not sure if it's the kind of mites that can be harmful to snakes but they're not harmful to the tarantulas I own. They look like tiny white round slow moving mites I think they might be called "hitchhiker mites".
  • Heating - Where do I put the heat mat? should it be at the bottom of the substrate or should it be in the middle?

I also want to know about the maintenance of having those two choices of substrate. What are the do's and don'ts? And what problems can I be faced with and how to avoid them? Thank you for taking up time to read this long post. Any advice or comments will be gladly appreciated!

ps I have Isopods and Springtails that I'll be using with the substrate.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I manage humidity with ventilation, water dishes and humid hides as opposed to substrate and it helps avoid issues from keeping stuff too wet. Coir is an ok substrate but I prefer substrates that are more airy and less packed to avoid mold and keep spot cleaning easy.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Also the heat pad goes outside the enclosure but stuck to the glass and should be regulated by a thermostat.