1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Swift's Invertebrates (www.swiftinverts.com)

Discussion in 'Online Dealer Reviews' started by Matt, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jper26

jper26 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    Positive

I recieved a order of scorpions from Kelly yesterday and everything came in great shape. He threw in a cool pad for free which is always nice. Kelly is very good at staying in contact with you through emails. I will defenitly buy from him again.

2. BigBadConrad

BigBadConrad Arachnobaron Old Timer

I purchased a Puerto Rican and a Vietnamese pede, as well as two Emperor and a Desert Hairy scorpion from Kelly. They well expertly packed and arrived yesterday in great shape and as far as I can tell are doing well. I would definitely do business with Kelly again.

3. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Arachnoemperor Old Timer

POSITIVE, absolutely freaking positive

With this order Kelly enters a very select group: dealers I've actually ordered from more than once. I've dealt with Pat Kane two (technically three) times because of the pricing he gave me back when he was with Regal. Kelly I ordered from again for the right reason, the phenomenal service he provides. My review of my first order with Kelly can be read up about from March 18, 2003.

I ordered 6 spiderlings and a group of millipedes to start a breeding colony. Right off the top, Kelly offered to toss in some of the baby millipedes he had for free to get the colony started. We emailed back and forth throughout the end of the week and Saturday and I finally sent an email with my final order Sunday morning. Kelly sent the total back with Arachnopets discount figured in, I sent the PayPal payment, and everybody shipped out on Monday. They arrived on schedule on Tuesday packed as well as ever.

In a psychic moment, Kelly even included a note that one of the N. vulpinus that I had ordered was nearing a moult and that he would cover any problems that might occur from shipping it then. That spider, a nigh 2" Nhandu, must have waited until he put the tape on the box and managed to moult out wrapped inside paper towels in a 12 dram vial. Other than some very minor tilt or lean to some of the limbs it appeared no worse for the wear and I expect it to be fine come the next moult. If not, I know Kelly will stand behind it.

The final bonus was the freebies - rather than guess at a tarantula that I probably already had, he included 2 adult millis to boost out my starting breeding stock. In addition, he included at least 2 dozen baby millis under 1.5 cm, schwing!

The Highs:
    Breadth of stock. The stock is varied and numerous - Kelly had 60 different tarantula species in stock at the time I ordered as well as many other arachnids, myriapods, and other insects. This is including multiple species of feeder roaches, something that is almost unheard of among larger scale dealers in spite of the logicalness of it. In my opinion, Kelly does the best job of any of the vendors out there in terms of truly being "your one stop shop for inverts".

Accurate and sufficient stock. One of the things that sets the long term dealers such as Kelly apart from the numerous small scale resellers out there is the size of their on-hand stock. Unless talking something exceedingly rare like P. metallica, or literally the last ones left of a an initially much larger stock, his listings do not just represent 3 or 4 specimens like many of the resellers out there. Combined with an attention to keeping the availability updated on the website, this means the stocklist is accurate and, within reason, Kelly is ready for your order whether you are looking for $20 or $2000 worth of stock.

Packaging. I covered this in detail the last time, but I will say again that he has the best packaging of any dealer I've ordered from.

Response times. This is a big bugaboo of mine with dealers. The nature of the business does require that inquiries, negotiations, etc. go on through email unless you're willing to go to the trouble to try and catch people by phone, and, personally, I prefer email. There is no need to coordinate two parties' schedules and everything is spelled out in black and white with a record for both parties. Kelly is on top of things and never took more than half a day to get back to any of my inquiries and answered my questions thoroughly.

Just an all around tight, professional impression. What brought me back to Kelly (besides the N. vulpinus and PR millis ;)) is the impression of professionalism that I get when I deal with him. As people familiar with me on this board have probably noticed, I'm a stickler for detail and accuracy. Kelly, through the little touches such as fast response times, accuracy in fulfilling orders, trying to go that extra mile to tailor freebies not only to the size of the customer's order, but the customer himself, etc. sets himself apart as a BMW among dealers.

The Lows:
    When you have someone who does as good a job as Kelly, there isn't much to complain about. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be me if I couldn't turn my critical eye to finding some things that could be fixed ;)

Website quirks. Overall,the website is excellent, but the broken links in the 'misc' sections are still there (missing graphics mainly), and there's still no organization to the stock lists beyond items being in the reverse order that Kelly adds them. In one sense, this makes it easy for regulars to see when he's added new stuff because it's always at the top, but a proper use of the 'NEW' tags on the list would accomplish the same thing. Further, even if you are a regular visitor, things can slip out of your focus to where you'll never see them. As an example, N. vulpinus was one of the species that I was really looking for these past few months. It turns out Kelly still had them from last year, but they were the last item on his stock list and I never saw them until they were pointed out because I thought I was familiar with the hodge podge order of his stocklist. Additionally, there is one example, A. moderatum, that I am 99% certain is WC but his website says is CB.

Choice of shipper. I would not mind seeing FedEx as an option for shipping. Maybe it's just where I live, but I get much more prompt and error free service from FedEx than any of the competitors. Airborne is adequate, but they will just knock and run so even if you ensure that you are present to receive the package, there's no guarantee you'll know it's there.

Other than those minor nitpicks, I can honestly say that there's nothing that could reasonably be improved about Kelly's business. The last time I ordered I critiqued his pricing but the market has changed since then; the loss leading vendors are out of business or pushed into a more niche role. Kelly's pricing is actually now very representative of the general market and he still manages to give nigh perfect service as well as his customary freebies.

Conclusion:
    I've dealt with a number of vendors since I got the collectors' bug back in early 2002, some were barely passable, others good but nothing to get excited about, and others were very good. Kelly sets the standard for my business in terms of stock breadth, competitive pricing, and, most importantly, level of service. Service, when you get down to what counts is what separates the good dealers from the great ones, and Kelly is in the 'great' category. Unless he just never happens to have anything I'm interested again or spontaneously goes out of business, I will be ordering from Kelly again.

4. Deliverme314

Deliverme314 Arachnoangel Old Timer

POSITIVE!!!

I ordered three slings last Wednesday 9/17 they arrived th enext day. All are healthy and eating well. Very goog communication and rapid follow ups to all questions. Nothing could have been better about the transaction its self. However it seems to be common agreement that the site needs more organization. I love the lay out with pics and everything right with species... but some alphabetical order by Scientific name would be awesome.

Would absoltuley recomend swift's to anyone. EXCELT shipping, friendly guy... went without a hitch.

C.Crawshayi
    A.Geniculata
    and a freebie L.Cristata

Thanks ALOT!
    Chris

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  5. Another glowing customer

POSITIVE

I'm very pleased with my order I got today, as I've been everytime I order slings from Kelly. I can't remember if this is the 3rd or 4th time, but I know it isn't the last time. The only bad point I can think of is the fact I don't have enough $$$ to get everything I want to buy from his list. And, he teased me with what he's going to list in a few weeks ;)
    At least now I know if there's anything extra next month, where I'll be spending it :D :D :D

Here's what I got:

Aphonopelma bicoloratum
    Aphonopelma species, "Flagstaff Orange"
    Avicularia minatrix
    Avicularia versicolor
    Brachypelma auratum
    Brachypelma boehmei

Freebie ---> Brachypelma smithi

And a side order of pinheads so they have a good meal once they're unpacked

6. vulpina

vulpina Arachnoprince Old Timer

POSITIVE

I ordered 13 slings from Kelly:

Avicularia versicolor
    Aphonopelma bicoloratum
    Brachypelma smithi
    Cyriopagopus thorelli
    Ephebopus uatuman
    Brachypelma ruhnaui
    Chilobrachys fimbriatus
    Pterinochilus "Usambara"
    Psalmopoeus reduncans
    Brachypelma auratum
    Bonnetina cyaneifemur
    Nhandu vulpinus
    Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
    Eupalastreus campestratus
    freebie=Psalmopoeus pulcher

I had never ordered from Kelly before, he made ordering a breeze and was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. His website is awesome and the shopping cart and payment worked flawlessly. Nice pics of the spiders on his site also. He was quick to respond to emails. The freebie he added is a great touch and packing was second to none.

There really were no lows with this order except possibly adding Airborne or Fed Ex as a shipping option. USPS is not my preferred method of shipping.

I would gladly do business with Kelly again, the next time extra money crops up I know where it will go!!

Andy

7. Positive

Mr. Swift is an excellent dealer. His selection is great, prices are very reasonable, and he is easily reached by phone. He has taken time to talk to me about spiderling care by phone and always answers emails. I have place 3 orders in the past month and received a total of 10 tarantulas, each a different species, ranging in size from 1/4 inch to 4 inch and each T was as big or often larger than stated and in excellent condition with great appetites.

Kelly`s packaging is also excellent, each T being in individual containers, plenty of packing material and heat pack for the cold weather. He emails the tracking number and if using next day delivery, can give you a time frame of delivery. I also like the fact that Kelly follows up to make sure the T`s arrived safely. I only lost on tiny sling due to my inexperience and Kelly still insisted on replacing him!

I highly recommend Mr. Swift to anyone who wants reliable service and someone on the other end who will take the time to provide help and information :eek:)

~Kathy D.~

8. jezzy607

jezzy607 Arachnobaron Old Timer

POSITIVE

I have ordered from him several times, and everytime was a good experience. Great freebies too!

9. MrMatt

MrMatt Arachnoknight Old Timer

POSITIVE

I ordered some inverts from Swift and everything went great. Swift is a top-notch dealer that really takes the time and effort to ensure everything is running smoothly, and everyone is happy throughout the transaction. He took the time to speak with me on the phone and even worked out special shipping arrangements for me.

Like usual the animals I received were in perfect condition and are everything, if not more, than I expected. He really takes it one step further. Thanks Kelly!

10. rosehaired1979

rosehaired1979 Arachnoking Old Timer

POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!

Kelly is a great person to work with. He helped me when I had questions and such . I purchased 5 slings from him and I also got the freebie and a small vial of crickets. The packaging was superb and the animals look healthy. I will be definately do business with Kelly again.

11. LPacker79

LPacker79 ArachnoSpaz Old Timer

What can you say about Kelly? The man has an excellent reputation and for good reason. He offers healthy animals at great prices and always has a decent selection. The freebie is also a bonus, I mean who wouldn't like a free spider?
    I just received my first order from Kelly today, and I'm more than happy. Almost all of the T's were larger than expected and they were packed extremely well. All are active and there's no doubt in my mind that they will continue to thrive.

Kelly is a first rate dealer and I'll definitely be purchasing from him in the future.

12. scarypoppins

scarypoppins Arachnoknight Old Timer

incredible service

when you deal with kelly swift you get three things great service , amazing kindness and incredible bugs. i just did a trade with swifty for a bunch of centipedes thay all came in amazing condition and fast . we talked on the phone a few times and this is someone i will be doing bussness with for a very long time. thanx again swifty

13. cricket54

cricket54 Arachnoangel Old Timer

MS
    Swifts Invertabrates is a great site and I recommend his services!

I have placed several orders lately and have been very very happy with Kelly Swift. All of the slings were well padded and safely pkgd. They all arrived alive and apparently healthy except for one. My husband ordered a P. regalis for me and it was doing fine when I first got it to crawl into its new home. Later on in
    the day it started going down hill and died the next day. My husband contacted Kelly when it started doing poorly and Kelly
    even called to offer suggestions. He had promised to replace it if
    it died even. So when it passed away, we placed another order and he shipped me another P. regalis as a replacement. All of the tarantulas in that shipment arrived well and are doing fine. I was surprised how quickly Kelly Swift responded to our e-mails when the baby started doing badly. I was real surprised when he promised to replace the one that died. He is a very caring business man and I would highly suggest anyone to order from him because he keeps his word and replies to your inquiries very
    quickly. I love the freebies he includes and the crickets for just in case". In my last order he sent me a sweet little A. versicolor which was a very nice surprise (I had no Avics). My husband who has placed my orders for me lately,just loves this little tarantula and had never really paid much attention to my hobby till now. Thankyou Kelly for being such a good business man and not brushing us off when the baby died. I am one happy tarantula
    keeper now!

Sharon

14. lhoy

lhoy Arachnosquire Old Timer

Purchase from Swift's

I recently made my first purchase from Kelly and I was totally impressed with his shipping, service, and quality. There was no way anything was going to happen to the slings. I had a small order (under $40) and still got a freebie and great packaging. I told Kelly my order was probably a pain because it was so small, but his service made me feel like a big spender.

I ordered a P. Regalis and a Cyrtophylis portoricae. He sent me a free A. seemani and of course, the crickets. What can I say but that I will definitely be ordering again from Kelly. It was a great experience.

I will also repeat what others have mentioned about fast responses to e-mail. Very important for on-line customers and Kelly was quick!!

Thanks,

Lee H.
    Georgetown, TX

15. pediepablo

pediepablo Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive

I recently made my second small order from Swift's Invertebrates. I was again impressed with the service I recieved.

His website is easy to use. The paypal shopping cart makes payment easy. The selection and prices are also good as well. I recieved my order quickly and was very impressed with the quality of the order as well as the packing job. Not to mention the freebie! Can't beat that.

The only thing I believe can be improved is the communication. Although I recieved an email informing me that my order had been shipped, I never recieved a response from an email I sent before placing my order. But I understand that he is busy and that my question was not too important.

I will definitely be ordering from Kelly in the future.

16. DarkRAM

DarkRAM Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive

My first mail order was with Kelly. I recieved everything intact and alive this morning. :D Packaging seemed to be very firm & secure for my modest order. Not to mention he was very thorough with his email responses as this was my first order and probably a bit over eager with my questions as well. ;)

As stated always a freebie, plus a vial of pinhead crickets labeled "Just in case..." :)

Certainly not my last order with him.

Thanks again Kelly for a great service. :D

17. versicolor

versicolor Arachnopeon

I ordered 2 spiders from Swift's on wednesday and had them in my possession 10:30 friday morning. The entire transaction was done online. I easily payed with paypal and the order was confirmed with an email from Kelly letting me know when to expect my T's. Included with my order was a free Brazillian red and black and a small container of pinhead crickets. They were packed as well as I've ever seen and in great shape with all 3 eager to feed within a short time of being transfered into new containers. Everything went very quickly and smooth and I never once felt worried or panicked that something might go wrong. I have the impression that things are very finely tuned at Swift's, providing customers with all the elements needed for a pleasent, hassle free experience. I would not hesitate to order from Kelly again.

18. David_F

David_F Arachnoprince Old Timer

Just received my first order from Swifts today. Everything was great. Easy ordering, the packing was excellent, and the slings love the micro crickets. Can't wait to order more from Swifts.

19. MichaelH

MichaelH Arachnosquire

Swifts Inverts......

Kelly Swift is A-1 in my book. Recieved an order from him today and I was a bit worried due to a unexpected cold snap in my area. But due to his excellent packing my two slings arrived just as lively as you could ask for.
    Excellent communication throughout the whole deal and even took time out of his schedule to jaw with me a while when I called to let him know I recieved the order. All around great guy to deal with and I will definately do business with Kelly again.

20. YZFR1

YZFR1 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Great Dealer!

Buy with Confidence! My 12 s'lings arrived in great shape on time with a freebee and there first meal! Great communication also! I will buy from again! Thank you Kelly!