suspecting my sling on a premolt :D

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
hi guys. just need tips :) what are those things that I need to remember and do during a spiderling's premolt, while on molt, and after molting. Thanks a lot :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Premolt- do not disturb
Molting- do not disturb
Postmolt- do not disturb
The only thing to do is to leave hem alone. Stress can increase the risk of a bad molt. The only reason to do anything is if something does go wrong.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
hi guys. just need tips :) what are those things that I need to remember and do during a spiderling's premolt, while on molt, and after molting. Thanks a lot :)
Make sure it has access to water, and leave it alone. That's all you have to do. The spider will take care of the rest.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I second all the advice you were already given. But also, be patient. I've had slings go a few days in premolt before molting to over a month. So it could be a while before it actually molts. Don't get worried if it takes seemingly forever. Also, don't panic if you check on it one day and it's flipped on it's back. It's not dead! It's molting, so leave it alone. Also, don't feed it right away after it molts. I wait a week before feeding after a molt. Good luck with everything! :)

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
just a few more questions
-if a sling is suspected to be in premolt should I wet/mist the substrate the regular basis until it molts ?
-how many days should I have to wait before I mist or wet the substrate after my sling molted ?
-ideally how many days should I wait bfore I feed my sling after it molted ?
-should I remove immediately the molted exoskeleton or should I have to wait few days before I remove it ?
Thanks again for the responds :)

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
-if a sling is suspected to be in premolt should I wet/mist the substrate the regular basis until it molts ?
-how many days should I have to wait before I mist or wet the substrate after my sling molted ?
Since it's a sling, I would always keep part of the substrate slightly damp. (I tend to rotate which area is damp so that no one area is damp 100% of the time.)

-ideally how many days should I wait bfore I feed my sling after it molted ?
Wait until its fangs are solid black. This usually takes a few days for a sling but might take as long as a week.

-should I remove immediately the molted exoskeleton or should I have to wait few days before I remove it ?
There is no need to remove the exuviae, but you can do so any time you can remove it without injuring the tarantula. (I would, at a minimum, wait until it flips back over and moves away from the exuviae.)