Survey!

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Just curious, I wanna do a survey of us hobbyists...

Let's make it like this...

Years Of Experience:
Ts In Collection:
Escapes:
Times Bitten:
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts:
Extra Info:

Add whatever you like under extra info, for instance if you're a breeder or if your collection fluctuates a lot, ect. Also, this is just for curiosity and fun and conversation so don't feel ashamed if it's your OBTs third escape today, oh and to verify, when i say escape I mean actually got out of your field and vision and you had to go searching for the T, not bolted out of the enclosure and stopped on the wall.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
4 Years of experience
18 Ts
0 Escapes
0 Times bitten
100% NW
Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear. And when I do, it's something unusual.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Years Of Experience:depends on how you look at it. First T was in 2010 but there was a few year break in there.
Ts In Collection:
1.2.3 gbbs
0.1 P rufilata
0.1 P smithi
0.0.1 P metallica
0.0.1 C versicolor
0.0.15 B hamorii
Escapes: none yet
Times Bitten: none yet
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: thats 12% OW but the B hamorii slings kind of skew that number.
Extra Info:
I'm a boxers guy and my wife hasn't divorced me in spite of the ever-increasing number of arachnids living in our bedroom.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe 8 years experience? (I've lost track.)
I think I have 24 Ts, but I might be forgetting one or two
I've never had any Ts escape - though I did have a huntsman spider teleport across the room during a rehouse. She was found on the back side of a shelving unit a few hours later and was returned safely to her cage.
Never been bitten.
6 OW, 18 (or so) NW
I teach summer school classes about bugs and spiders for elementary and middle school students. That allows me to justify having an entire room full of inverts by calling them "teaching supplies" - and I generally earn enough from teaching to cover the cost of new acquisitions, cages, substrate, and crickets.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Maybe 8 years experience? (I've lost track.)
I think I have 24 Ts, but I might be forgetting one or two
I've never had any Ts escape - though I did have a huntsman spider teleport across the room during a rehouse. She was found on the back side of a shelving unit a few hours later and was returned safely to her cage.
Never been bitten.
6 OW, 18 (or so) NW
I teach summer school classes about bugs and spiders for elementary and middle school students. That allows me to justify having an entire room full of inverts by calling them "teaching supplies" - and I generally earn enough from teaching to cover the cost of new acquisitions, cages, substrate, and crickets.
"Teaching supplies" are tax deductible too!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This is trickier to answer for people who have downsized.

Years Of Experience: 3 years
Ts In Collection: Currently 5, at my collection's largest I had over 40.
Escapes: 0
Times Bitten: 0
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: Currently 100% NW, But I once had 8 OWs.

Extra Info: I pretty much flew up the metaphorical 'ladder' so to speak. I had a ton of time, spent most of my free time reading/researching, and I had a heckload of enthusiasm. Unfortunately a year into it, I had a lot of health problems and family issues to deal with. So I scaled back to 5 and am now currently dipping my toes back into the tarantula infested waters. I also have a spider living in my bathroom windowsill, not sure of an ID, but they have been there a while and I give them water from time to time.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Years of experience: 16. Although for a lot of that time the collection was between 3 and 6 Ts.
29 spiders currently.
Escapes: 1. A GBB juvie got out of the top of a kritter keeper when I first started. Found it behind some books nearby fortunately.
Bitten: never
Old World percentage: 20.6% (6 spiders)

Other info: My wife buys me colorful briefs. Has switched me off of boxers.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Years Of Experience:0
Ts In Collection:0
Escapes:0
Times Bitten:0
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts:0
Extra Info: I still havent gotten my first T lol.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
7 years.
42 tarantulas. Some other stuff too.
0 escapes.
0 bites.
OW 40.47% NW 59.53% (I like my Avics)
Extra: more OW coming soon.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Years of experience: 8..... months
Ts in your collection: 29, but I'm about to give one to my mom for her to add to her classroom pets (a B albo that we call Cookie to be more specific)
Escapes: 1. A freebie sling. I made the air holes too big ;.; lesson learned.
Bitten: not yet.
% OW vs. NW Ts: 100% NW for the time being.

Extra: my fiance is in the hobby with me. We also have 2 going on 3 aquariums, 4 cresties, and a super cute dog. And I buy him boxer briefs - best of both worlds!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Years Of Experience: 1.5
Ts In Collection: 24 (mostly slings and juveniles)
Escapes: None (My Ephebopus murinus Ts have teleported a few times but were always quickly recovered and their rehousings are now only done in the bathtub, drain and door closed!)
Times Bitten: Never
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: ~4% OW and 96% NW (I recently got my first OW T, an adorable Idiothele mira sling :happy: )
Extra Info: I also collect North American millipedes. :)

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Years Of Experience: Three
Ts In Collection: 6
Escapes: 3
- An A. metallica sling back when I first started. I did a housing transfer and didn't think to do it on the floor, and the sling jumped from the table to the floor and ran under the couch. Got it back though.
- My C. versicolor sling that I have now has bolted twice. Once when I received it and went to put it in its home, and again when I opened the tank to mist it.
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: 100% NW
Extra Info: I am a college student and I have to keep my Ts secret from my landlord.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Years of experience 24

Specimens 44- I recently downsized the collection by roughly a third before I had moved.

Escapes 0

Bites 3. 1 P.murinus It was my second T and It was a complete accident...I was distracted while helping a friend do a rehouse. The other two were a P.muticus and P.fasciata both were handling related when I was still somewhat new to arachnoculture..

My collection has a healthy amount of variety but is mostly O/W and N/W arboreals.

Extras... I keep, I breed and I just bought a bigger house and have settled in so the breeding along with expansion can resume.

I have a mediocre Instagram (My user name is 14pokies on the Gram also) so give me a follow if you want..

I have a terrible YouTube channel Thepokieproject. Don't bother checking it out.. I'm taking down the few video's I have and replacing it with much better content now that I have more room to work and take on different projects.

Last edited:

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Years Of Experience: 1.5
Ts In Collection: 10 (but might increase in a week and a half)
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: 100% NW (for now...)
Extra Info: I really enjoy keeping less common animals and also own 3 land snails, a pair of axolotls, a crested gecko, and an assortment of various tropical fish, shrimp, crayfish, and snails.

cold blood

Staff member
years experience 18...but about 10 of that I only had a single t. Ive had a lot of them though for the past 5+ years.

Ts in collection...if you count all the slings, well over 1K atm....but about 125 adults and juvies.

Escapes 5

G. porteri, left the top open...found the next day.

N. chromatus juvie....found a few days later under the dog bed. Operator error, I didn't close the lid properly.

A. ezendami sling...it escaped after breeding, must have walked out as 1i (the sac hatched with mom)....found by a friend visiting....lol, thanks Tom.

G. pulchripes juvie....watered it after it freshly molted...got home from work to find the lid off...this is the one I never found.

Yesterday while feeding A. ezendami (1.5"), I had the first bolter out of a deli cup...kept it up and on the cup for a while, trying to coax it back in, then it dropped off, corralled it, but couldn't get it in the catch cup fast enough and it disappeared under a stand full of ts....had to move everything, took a while, but the t was easily located and corralled.

Number of bites....zero...never really had a close call.

Currently probably 60% old world....slings are heavily in favor of NW because of a recent. N. chromatus sac.

I like pie and ice cream.:hungry:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Years Of Experience: 5 Months
Ts In Collection:6 T's 2 true spiders.
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts:100% nw.
I spent 5 years on the fringe of civilization in the sub Arctic.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Years of experience 24

Specimens 44- I recently downsized the collection by roughly a third before I had moved.

Escapes 0

Bites 3. 1 P.murinus It was my second T and It was a complete accident...I was distracted while helping a friend do a rehouse. The other two were a P.muticus and P.fasciata both were handling related when I was still somewhat new to arachnoculture..

My collection has a healthy amount of variety but is mostly O/W and N/W arboreals.

Extras... I keep, I breed and I just bought a bigger house and have settled in so the breeding along with expansion can resume.

I have a mediocre Instagram (My user name is 14pokies on the Gram also) so give me a follow if you want..

I have a terrible YouTube channel Thepokieproject. Don't bother checking it out.. I'm taking down the few video's I have and replacing it with much better content now that I have more room to work and take on different projects.
Gnarly bites!
----

Years: About 7 total

Number of spiders: 33 right now

Escapes: H. maculata sling years ago. Found it on the wall after a few days.

Bites: None, but one scorpion sting.

No old world spiders right now because our young children are too inquisitive.

Extras: I've been active duty military for nearly fifteen years and it has kept us moving around a lot and makes our lives unpredictable (and exciting!)

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Years of Experience: 1
Ts In Collection: 12
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: 66.6% OW (8) / 33.3% NW (4)
Extra Info: I'll heat up a frozen dinner then put it back in the freezer until slightly above room temp (I don't like hot food).

Leila

Arachnobaron
Experience: Six whole months, woo!
# of Ts In Collection: Nine
Escapes: zero
Times Bitten: zero
% Of OWs Vs. NW Ts: 100% NW, thankyou very much

Extra Info: I recently cut my own hair, and it looks pretty great. :pompous: