Surprise Phrynus Marginemaculata Babies

Raven Jess

Arachnopeon
I bought a Phrynus Marginemaculata a few months ago. She has mainly been a pet hole, but today, while feeding and cleaning the cage, I found a dozen small babies under a log and even more on the Momma's back.

Any tips? Should I separate them? If so, when? I added a bunch of dwarf isopods, will that work for food?

I wasn't exactly expecting the babies, and I definitely want to care for them the best I can.

Thanks in advance! 37709666_10216589534076090_6123557125579866112_n.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the whiplings! If you're finding them on the ground they may either be dead, or they could be molts. From what I can see on the mom, they're likely molts. Do you have any other pictures? They may eat the dwarf whites, but you may have to get some pinhead crickets or fruit flies for them.

If you don't want to care for all of them, I'm sure there are people here on AB that would be very happy to take them (myself included) if you're willing to sell and ship.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you keep any feeder roaches? Newborn roaches can make excellent feeders for them too. I don't know how aggressive this species is when it comes to food, but the other phrynids I keep don't hesitate to take big prey.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Congrats on the little ones! :)

Do you keep any feeder roaches? Newborn roaches can make excellent feeders for them too. I don't know how aggressive this species is when it comes to food, but the other phrynids I keep don't hesitate to take big prey.
They are aggressive eaters. I'd suggest pinhead crickets/roaches also.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are aggressive eaters. I'd suggest pinhead crickets/roaches also.
Not surprised at all lol. It's really entertaining watching them go after food. My adult P. marginemaculatus never eats while I'm watching, but all the other whips happily grab their food with me still doing maintenance, sometimes even as I'm lifting their deli cup.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Not surprised at all lol. It's really entertaining watching them go after food. My adult P. marginemaculatus never eats while I'm watching, but all the other whips happily grab their food with me still doing maintenance, sometimes even as I'm lifting their deli cup.
Yeah it's entertaining for sure. One of my favorite things to observe is when they try to poke just out of reach prey with their whips to get it moving.

I should clarify- P. marginemaculatus is willing to go after large prey. Was thinking the babies probably should be willing to have a go at pinhead crickets or something bigger than fruit flies. Mine also get shy when the lid is opened but they usually go in hunt mode almost as soon as prey is detected. Their hunting posture is rather comical- the pedipalps go almost straight up so it looks more like a cheerful "Hi! Hi!" gesture. Unlike the Damon's ominious "I'm gonna getcha and your little dog too!".

Does your comment re: other whips include D. diadema? My diademas are generally the slowest to hunt prey after feeding- a minute or few before they begin their stalking.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah it's entertaining for sure. One of my favorite things to observe is when they try to poke just out of reach prey with their whips to get it moving.

I should clarify- P. marginemaculatus is willing to go after large prey. Was thinking the babies probably should be willing to have a go at pinhead crickets or something bigger than fruit flies. Mine also get shy when the lid is opened but they usually go in hunt mode almost as soon as prey is detected. Their hunting posture is rather comical- the pedipalps go almost straight up so it looks more like a cheerful "Hi! Hi!" gesture. Unlike the Damon's ominious "I'm gonna getcha and your little dog too!".

Does your comment re: other whips include D. diadema? My diademas are generally the slowest to hunt prey after feeding- a minute or few before they begin their stalking.
The ones to quickly grab are the Phrynus sp. "Panama" and Phrynus whitei. My Damon take their time with hunting, but I usually get to see them do it.