Surprise Hornworm Eclosure!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I've raised caterpillars on and off for a couple years now, and I'm always hesitant to throw away any unhatched pupa, no matter how long it's been since it should have eclosed. Well, now my actions have been justified.

During the summer, while all my various Saturniid moths were flying about, my 2 Manduca sexta caterpillars were finally starting to pupate. Once they pupated, they were both kept exactly the same, in the same enclosure, with the same light cycle. One of the moths eclosed about 3 weeks after pupation. That one has long since died. The second one never eclosed.

Despite suspecting it had died, I left the pupa in a kritter keeper I had set up as an eclosure tank. I put that KK to the side and completely forgot about it.

Fast forward 6 months or so (to today), and I'm getting cozy in bed, trying to sleep. I start hearing some loud thumping noises, but I just assumed it's one of my tarantulas at first and ignore it. But then I hear it again. This time, I decided to pause my TV and get a better listen.

That's when I heard it. The unmistakable fluttering of large moth wings. Utterly confused at this point, I'm wondering what kind of moth is in my room, how it got here in the first place, why it's out in the dead of winter, and where it is. Then I remembered the kritter keeper. I shine my flashlight over at it on my shelf, and sure enough, I see giant eyes glowing back at me attached to a hovering moth trying to get out.

I've since moved it to a bigger mesh enclosure, and it's calmed down a bit. But it just goes to show that just because a pupa doesn't hatch right away, doesn't mean it's dead. So don't throw it out!

20180102_002628.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I just love stories with happy ending. Bravo!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I just love stories with happy ending. Bravo!
I'm honestly so surprised that it was alive all this time. Early on, I would check the pupa every so often, and it wouldn't even respond to stimulus like a normal pupa would. I'm still beyond confused, but I'm certainly happy my little baby is finally out and about.

The kinda neat thing is I went to the pet store today for crickets and on a whim, I decided I wanted to buy some more hormworms. But they didn't have any in stock. But I ended up with a moth anyway :happy:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, that's great! Always nice to find a little surpise like that.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
This story, should be turned into an inspirational book for children.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Do you keep tham as pets or feeders?
Pets. I'm sure my Avic would love a hornworm or a moth to pounce on, but I couldn't feed them to her. I love the life cycle of moths and butterflies too much to cut it short like that. This moth will live the remainder of it's natural life in peace.

Hey, that's great! Always nice to find a little surpise like that.
It was definitely a surprise. First moth eclosure of the new year! :rofl: I'm so happy I never caved in a threw it out. It definitely would've died then

This story, should be turned into an inspirational book for children.
That would be a neat little concept. "The Little Hornworm That Could"