Supporting the hobby as a whole

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I think about the hobby a lot. In a big picture scale, it feels like the best way to support is is by supporting people who breed tarantulas, since it cuts down on the need for wild caught imports, and it supports people who can import species (and breed them, cutting down on imports). Am I correct in feeling this way?

Also, I’ve been thinking about my C Cyaneopubescens. She’s a juvenile now, but when she is mature, would it be a “waste” not to breed her, since their higher price tag seems to be because of scarcity (I know they’re not extremely rare anymore, but they aren’t cheap)?

My questions are specific to the United States.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think about the hobby a lot. In a big picture scale, it feels like the best way to support is is by supporting people who breed tarantulas, since it cuts down on the need for wild caught imports, and it supports people who can import species (and breed them, cutting down on imports). Am I correct in feeling this way?

Also, I’ve been thinking about my C Cyaneopubescens. She’s a juvenile now, but when she is mature, would it be a “waste” not to breed her, since their higher price tag seems to be because of scarcity (I know they’re not extremely rare anymore, but they aren’t cheap)?

Funny you bring up Cc. They have been in the hobby for decades and the price of a sling has not budged above or below 45$ retail, one of the few Ts where price has held.

If you want to support the hobby, I have a Paypal address to send money to.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Before you start considering breeding any tarantula, you need to take a lot of other things into consideration besides the "waste" of her reproductive potential. Do you have access to a male to breed her with? Assuming the mating is successful, do you have the ability/experience to tend to her and her sac, to help the young hatch? Many keepers "pull" the egg sac from the mother and raise it in isolation, to prevent the mother from eating it - but that does require a lot more work on your part. If the eggs hatch, do you have the space - and patience - and resources to feed and care for hundreds of tiny slings? They are likely to cannibalize unless separated into individual cups - which will then require you to regularly feed and water all of them individually - not exactly a light undertaking. Finally, if you are successful in raising them to a decent size, do you have the ability to find homes for all of them, whether you sell them or give them away? You can't exactly turn them loose, and you probably don't want to raise all of them indefinitely.

Another thing to keep in mind - the price of slings helps to compensate the breeders for all the time, effort, and expense they invest in their stock. If every private keeper were to start breeding their spiders - and flooding the market with cheap slings - the prices would go down - but that would hurt the breeders who depend on selling spiders for their livelihood. If it was no longer profitable for them to import, breed, and sell spiders, they might quit doing it - and we would lose a lot of our reputable breeders and sellers, leaving us stuck with just whatever surplus slings our local hobbyists have too many of, rather than the current fabulous selection.

There are lots of spiders currently in captivity. Most of them are not bred - and yet we still have plenty of captive-bred spiders in the hobby, thanks to the efforts of our breeders. It is not necessary to breed every spider, any more than it is necessary to allow our pet cats and dogs to breed. If anything, the responsible pet owner spays or neuters their dog or cat, to prevent surplus kittens and puppies. With tarantulas, that kind of measure is not necessary - but nor is it necessary to breed every spider.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I don’t think it’s practical or feasible to take on a personal endevour of conservation efforts. But in the end, it’s a personal choice. GBBs are not rare by a long shot. Besides, consider, that one individual in your situation might breed their spiders but A) those spiders are not going back into the wild and B) unless you set up a table at a reptile show, it can often be difficult to find buyers because everyone wants to buy from people they already know.

Just don’t let anyone try to tell you that you ‘have to” breed. Only do it if you were already interested in it before now.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Oh, cool, I’d actually rather not breed her!! If I were to do it, I would find someone localish with a MM who would agree to take most of the slings/sell them to a wholesaler. I honestly thought they were only available in waves as sacs came out. I love seeing baby tarantulas, but I have no desire to spend my days off feeding and watering them.

Stick to buying my tarantulas from people in the hobby and stay away from chain pet stores to support the hobby? And @viper69 I’d love to buy a t from you if you’re ever selling anything I could handle. ❤

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I always think long and hard before breeding. Is there a market for them? Do I have a dealer lined up to take them at a worthwhile price? Am I going to have to devalue any spiderlings to the point that they are worthless in order to sell them - which benefits nobody in the end and damages dealers? Dealers are the ones who have the import, and often CITES, credentials that no hobbyist breeders have and, while competition is a good thing, it won't benefit anyone to not be able to import anymore.
There's lots to consider and that is why I turn down breeding over half of my collection. Neither my males, nor females, could care less either way... I'm sure.

cold blood

Staff member
Without breeding experience, a GBB is a poor one to start out with.

If you have the experience, its always a species in demand.....and keep in mind, one can always wholesale large lots or a whole sac to a dealer.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Without breeding experience, a GBB is a poor one to start out with.

If you have the experience, its always a species in demand.....and keep in mind, one can always wholesale large lots or a whole sac to a dealer.
Oh yeah. Knowing they are common means I have zero interest in breeding. Id rather just enjoy her as is, celibate and chaste. :p Any of the really rare species are ones I’m not comfortable keeping, so I’ll keep tarantulas purely for the pleasure of it.