Superworm destroying enclosure what to do?

BryanL

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, it's me again.

A couple weeks ago I wanted to feed a Vietnam blue (Chilobrachys) juvenile (about 2 inches) it's first superworm, and I was pretty nervous about it since it has escaped on me 2 times prior so all I did was open the top and drop it down real quick not thinking twice. I had forgotten that worms burrow.
So it's been a few weeks and it is just completely destroying the enclosure by burrowing everywhere and making the substrate sink it on itself all over and I was wondering. Should I just get the T out and find it so I don't have to worry about it anymore or just wait until it surfaces or becomes a beetle?

I usually don't have these problems with feeders since I was just trying to give it a superworm for fun and I usually use lateralis for juveniles and a little bigger up. I guess I was just a little careless this time and didn't realize what would happen. :banghead:

Thanks,
-Bryan

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yes, remove it, if your tarantula moults with it in there then it will eat your tarantula.

It's always a good idea to crush/partially crush the heads of feeders if you don't think they'll be taken right away.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Step 1 - Crush worm head

Step 2 - Feed worm to tarantula

Super worms and mealworms will eat just about anything so i would personall6 not feel like my spider was safe in that situation. Also even if it fully developes into a beetle without issue, supposedly the beetles are at least as bad and you will still need to get it out somehow, so were i in your place, i would resolve the situation now.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
Yes, remove it, if your tarantula moults with it in there then it will eat your tarantula.

It's always a good idea to crush/partially crush the heads of feeders if you don't think they'll be taken right away.
Will get on it right away! Thanks so much, will use the information for next time. I usually tong feed my bigger T's superworms but I was just scared of this one bolting again :(

Thanks so much!
-Bryan

BryanL

Arachnopeon
Step 1 - Crush worm head

Step 2 - Feed worm to tarantula

Super worms and mealworms will eat just about anything so i would personall6 not feel like my spider was safe in that situation. Also even if it fully developes into a beetle without issue, supposedly the beetles are at least as bad and you will still need to get it out somehow, so were i in your place, i would resolve the situation now.
Definitely will do! I will keep these steps saved as my computers desktop background! ;)
Thank you so much for the help!!
Superworm you better come out....

Thank you very much!
-Bryan

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They are vicious little bastards.

"How vicious?" You say...

I'm currently breeding them and this is what was left of a beetle that died in a tub with 3 other beetles and a bunch of larvae (there was also a severed head and a piece of abdominal exo but I couldn't be bothered to hook them out of the bin for a photo lol).

DSC00001.JPG

BryanL

Arachnopeon
They are vicious little bastards.

"How vicious?" You say...

I'm currently breeding them and this is what was left of a beetle that died in a tub with 3 other beetles and a bunch of larvae (there was also a severed head and a piece of abdominal exo but I couldn't be bothered to hook them out of the bin for a photo lol).

View attachment 278515
Oh god, they really do eat anything. :anxious:
Definitely not letting it do that to mine!
Thanks!!!!

Thank you so much!
-Bryan