1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstitionia Donensis care and climate

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by LordAnon, Sep 24, 2018.

1. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I will probably be getting a small colony of these guys soon. I've noticed there seems to be a lack on info except for bits and pieces from people who keep WC specimens in their area. Because of this the information varies. S. Donensis is named after the superstition mountains where they were first collected. The area seems to be very dry, but varies in temperature throughout the year from low 60s to high 90s (probably higher). Despite the climate, people claim they like it moist. I also haven't found a straight answer about substrate. One keeper uses clay and sand, another coco fiber. Apparently thats because they are found in a much wider range than just the superstition mountains in arizona. This variation probably means they are a hardier species, but I do want them to thrive. Is a heat pad recommended? I would probably use my soil/coco/leaf litter mix for substrate, but in my experience it dries out really quickly when I use a heat pad on small tubs.

2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

The areas I’ve collected them here were crumbling granite and stone cliff faces. On the cooler side where high temps may reach the mid 90s but below 30 in the Winter. I would not keep communally. My set ups for them has been sand/Eco earth mix with plenty of stones and crevices. Perhaps in a large set up you could house more than one. Tiny little dudes and hearty. I mist a couple times a month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking

Socal
    keep from getting too dry. these prefer cooler temps, and are most active during light drain or heavy fog in winter.

nymphs require springtails or other tiny prey items due to their small size.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

I should think sand would be crucial in your substrate to provide the weight of the natural substrate they have evolved to thrive upon and in. The finest sand you can get your hands on, not playground sand. Our soils down here really are a mixture of very fine sand and clays with particles of organic matter and tiny rocks. If you dig down just a little way, you hit cooler, somewhat moist soil, even in the heat of summer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking

Socal
    they are extremely polymorphic in habitat preference. some are found deep in oak riparian woodland next to creeks, others will randomly pop up in the deserts in really weird spots, generally you'll only see them in winter-spring as they remain dormant til rain saturates everything

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnosquire

Would this mean that these can be kept without supplementary heat?

• Like Like x 1