Superstitionia care?

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Couldn't find much info on these guys. I have a tiny immature specimen, it has dug under the substrate and made a den, and does not seem to venture out. How do I get it to eat? Do you think it might be preparing for a molt?

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Here's how I keep mine:

Cage Setup: Keep them on fine gravel or sand with a hide in a very small cage while it's a baby. Like one of those 2 inch circles. Add sticks and decor if you want, not necessary, Do not water or mist.

Feeding: Feed every 2 weeks - a month. Cut mealworms into slices for the babies, adults will eat small mealworms or the smallest size of red runner roaches, which I use. They never refuse food.

Also, dig out your baby and keep the way I suggested or you will never manage to feed it. I use hides made of flat pieces of ponderosa pine supported by a rock on one side, the feel secure and I can access the scorpion for feeding

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's how I keep mine:

Cage Setup: Keep them on fine gravel or sand with a hide in a very small cage while it's a baby. Like one of those 2 inch circles. Add sticks and decor if you want, not necessary, Do not water or mist.

Feeding: Feed every 2 weeks - a month. Cut mealworms into slices for the babies, adults will eat small mealworms or the smallest size of red runner roaches, which I use. They never refuse food.

Also, dig out your baby and keep the way I suggested or you will never manage to feed it. I use hides made of flat pieces of ponderosa pine supported by a rock on one side, the feel secure and I can access the scorpion for feeding
Thanks for the information. He is quite fat, I'm just thinking maybe he's in premolt?

He's 1 cm, how fast do they grow in your experience?

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Yes, probably premolt. Once he molts, change the substrate to gravel as I described. He may get mycosis on cocofiber and it will be hard to feed him too. Max size for this species is around 2.5 cm from head to base of stinger, so yours should be max size in a year or so

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
S. donensis likes high humidity. way more than you would expect. they love cool damp weather and in the wild are seen during light rain and fog. This is also what brings pseudouroctonus and kovarikia out and about. they're also prone to heat stress. Mycosis isnt caused by humidity but can be exacerbated by it. Mycosis requires infection via injury, infected males can infect females during mating, but aside from that moisture itself isnt a cause of mycosis.

Contrary to popular belief, this species is actually far more abundant in southern california than arizona. The genus epithet only refers to the type locality.

do not use springtails if your scorpion is young- they will attack it during molting. Adults can be safely housed with springtails. These are intensely photophobic and will burrow. keeping the enclosure in darkness will increase activity.

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
All of mine are Southern California locale. They do great with next to no humidity or additional heat (but it is not unreasonable that they would tolerate high humidity). I keep mine in a fairly dark area with a hide, so they don't burrow, which is convenient for feeding