1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermarket Herbs...

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by Mojo Jojo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    I like to cook but am pretty much an herb noob, so I thought I'd give to see if I can grow some fresh tarragon that I got at the supermarket and then to play around with it as it grows (hopefully). The plant looked healthy and had good roots, but after I untangled the stems and planted it, it got pretty droopy looking. I'm hoping it will perk back up with some water and sunlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I'm by no means a plant expert, but my guess would be that it's a little droopy looking because it was in the box and it didn't have to support itself for a while. With watering and time I'd guess that it'll perk up if it's still viable.

3. Mojo Jojo

I hope so. I just used one sprig to cook some chicken with, and although I never recalled having it before when I bought it, I immediately remembered that a nice restaurant I worked at 16 years ago served a compound butter made with the herb. It was sooo yummy.

4. keep it watered well especially the first couple of weeks. Should be fine :)

5. Crysta

Crysta Arachnoprince Old Timer

yeah they are like oh crap gravity is back!

you could try supporting them with a string if you want it pretty but it should be fine.

6. Mojo Jojo

They seem to be a bit more upright than they did yesterday...but only a bit. =)

7. Drakk

Drakk Arachnosquire

Ive taken small plants that looked worse than that from my moms herb garden and planted them in mine...didn't look bad till after the long drive to my place tho lol
    They did fine and are now quite huge GL :)

8. Mojo Jojo

Most of the leaves dried up completely, however the stems still seem ok... maybe I should start with some seed...

9. Crysta

Crysta Arachnoprince Old Timer

10. Mojo Jojo

Thanks. They sell Tarragon seed packets at Walmart and I suspect everywhere else that sells seed, but from doing a little extra research it is most likely not true French Tarragon which is the one that has the culinary application.