Sunfish in the Aquarium: Keeping Pumpkinseeds, Bluegills & their Relatives

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi All,
The world’s 30-35 freshwater sunfish species (Family Centrarchidae) range throughout Canada, the USA and Central America. Although popular among European aquarists, sunfishes have been largely been neglected in American aquaculture. This is a shame, as all are colorful, interesting and active, and most adjust well to aquarium life. From the tiny Black-Banded Sunfish to the 39 inch long Largemouth Bass, there is something for everyone. I’ve had the good fortune of working with a “sunnies” ranging from the tiny Black-Banded Sunfish to the massive Largemouth Bass, and would enjoy hearing from readers who have also come to know them, or wish to (please post below).
Read article here http://bitly.com/VYLlji
Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp
Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally! Respect! These fish are awesome! Only problem is, everyone wants to keep largemouths and smallmouths but don't realize they need TONS and TONS and TONS and TONS of space.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Finally! Respect! These fish are awesome! Only problem is, everyone wants to keep largemouths and smallmouths but don't realize they need TONS and TONS and TONS and TONS of space.
Thanks! I agree...can't understand why they are so ignored. Yes, bass not suitable for most; I've kept in zoo exhibits, but several hundred gallons needed. A mature Bluegill or other exhibits many of the same behaviors, can be bred at home and so on, but as you say many people seem not to realize that.

Enjoy, Frank

web eviction

Arachnolord
Nah they fit fine in my fridge.... And them sunfish taste the best ;)

Haha but I used to have a large outdoor aquarium with many different sun fish and bass till I found out it was a no no so I released them...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a spare 75 gallon sitting around. Been thinking about building a freshwater setup. Maybe ill catch some of the local green sunfish, as those are my favorites.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a spare 75 gallon sitting around. Been thinking about building a freshwater setup. Maybe ill catch some of the local green sunfish, as those are my favorites.
Greens are beautiful, and in that size tank you might even be able to breed them. I've caught young ones in minnow traps baited with cat food/bread, and adults via seine. Enjoy, please keep me posted, Frank

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In most jurisdictions, anything considered a game fish is illegal to keep without special permits.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In most jurisdictions, anything considered a game fish is illegal to keep without special permits.
Hello,

Collection is governed by state law, which varies across the country. Those designated as game fishes usually require a recreational fishing license, while the collection of smaller sunfish species may be unregulated or require a bait fish license. Links to all state fish and wildlife and related agencies can be found here: http://www.fws.gov/offices/statelinks.html.

Best regards, Frank

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
In Idaho there is a reservoir called Spring Valley. I used to fish for trout there and I would occasionally get some Bluegill. I have never considered them for aquarium but they seemed like strong, healthy fish. They were also somewhat pretty. Come to think of it, I ate some as well when the trout were scarce, they tasted OK as well. :-\

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In Idaho there is a reservoir called Spring Valley. I used to fish for trout there and I would occasionally get some Bluegill. I have never considered them for aquarium but they seemed like strong, healthy fish. They were also somewhat pretty. Come to think of it, I ate some as well when the trout were scarce, they tasted OK as well. :-\
Hi, Thanks,...they are the ultimate all-purpose fish! They have been introduced to Idaho, and many other states and countries, and are indeed very strong in their ability to adapt to new habitats, Best, Frank

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the rosy red minnows (fathead minnows) are interesting, the normal color are native here and if I had the room I'd have a huge aquarium 50 gallon plus of them, they get much larger than ones you see sold, if allowed to live, the males get thick and develop stripes when breeding.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greens are beautiful, and in that size tank you might even be able to breed them. I've caught young ones in minnow traps baited with cat food/bread, and adults via seine. Enjoy, please keep me posted, Frank
They're also VERY aggressive! I've seen them bully fish larger than themselves, including adult crappie!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive also caught them on much larger lures than one would think. Most the time i use just a hook and small worm, and flip it under/between rocks. Love the fight these little guys put up.
They're also VERY aggressive! I've seen them bully fish larger than themselves, including adult crappie!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Ive also caught them on much larger lures than one would think. Most the time i use just a hook and small worm, and flip it under/between rocks. Love the fight these little guys put up.
More than one time, a medium Bluegill made me think I have caught a giant trout. Very disappointing really :).

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know exactly what you mean. Hooking into a 9-10" bull bluegill is a nice fight. I caught 1 warmouth, and havent ever caught another one.
More than one time, a medium Bluegill made me think I have caught a giant trout. Very disappointing really :).

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think the rosy red minnows (fathead minnows) are interesting, the normal color are native here and if I had the room I'd have a huge aquarium 50 gallon plus of them, they get much larger than ones you see sold, if allowed to live, the males get thick and develop stripes when breeding.
Thanks, yes, many of our native minnows are very interesting, and change radically during the breeding season. Fatheads that I released into an outdoor pond at the Bx Zoo developed as you say, and have bred every year since. Best, Frank

---------- Post added 12-23-2012 at 08:41 PM ----------

I've noticed that the different species vary in regard to characteristics, thanks for bringing this up. I've had pumpkinseeds barely larger than a quarter injure 1/2 grown bluegills; they also adjust to tank life right away, rarely hide and take huge food items. Bluegills tend to get shyer (smarter?) as they mature; hiding more and rushing out for food. Individual differences also...always interesting. Best, Frank

---------- Post added 12-23-2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

I've kept a few Texas cichlids but they tend to kill everything else.
Another very interesting fish....I had a group that survived in an exhibit with large spiny softshelled turtles; tough customers!

---------- Post added 12-23-2012 at 08:51 PM ----------

I know exactly what you mean. Hooking into a 9-10" bull bluegill is a nice fight. I caught 1 warmouth, and havent ever caught another one.
Warmouths have been reported here in NY from time to time (transplants) but I've not found any; a friend seines them in Louisiana, has other sunfish and plans to try an adult pair in the spring; I'll post updates. Best. Frank

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I have two bichars and a blue jack dempsey.....i bought feeder fish and I swear there is now a tiny blue gill in my tank. It seems to be doing well despite living with an aggressive fish 2x larger. Should be neat to see what it really is as it gets larger and shows some color.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks...feeder minnows are usually seined from outdoor ponds; I've had a number of interesting sunnies, darters and others show up in large orders destined for the Bx Zoo; even, once, a greater siren, which the supplier put aside for me.

Bichirs are amazing fish, aren't they? What species do you keep? Perhaps you'll enjoy this article: http://bitly.com/VeJiLA.

Please keep me posted...most of the feeder ponds are in the southeast, where there are many species, so it will be interesting to hear what you have...sorry if obvious, but due to similar habits, etc., the Dempsey may see it as a threat in time.

Best, Frank

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I love bichars. They are the senegalas. I also have a south american lungfish and all of these species are just awesome! I was looking into sirens before I got the bichars. This little sunfish is the only fish that hasnt been destroyed in this tank but I am going to keep an eye out because im not sure which will become the dominant one. I will try to get a good picture of it. Thank you.