Suitable enclosure for P. Metallica?

Tyler Scott

Arachnopeon
Hiya!
I recently acquired what I was told was a P. Metallica, and within a week it had molted (to its current size). This is my first arboreal T (I have 5 terrestrials) and I am not sure about the enclosure. I know that it needs height over floor space, so I bought a small 24oz soup container to rehouse it in (from a small salad/ deli cup thing). However, since it has been rehoused it has not moved from underneath one of the leaves that I put in there. So, my question being is this enclosure too big? and if it is, is the original container perfectly fine? Or, if the new container is ok, should I add something in there which it can hide under? (was planning on doing that but thought I'd ask). I have also included a picture of the original container for reference :)

Thanks!

(P.S. Sorry for the poor picture quality as was taken on my phone, and the USB was used as I had nothing else on hand to give a reference to the size of the enclosures)

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just put in some small corkbark pieces or corkbark tubes the spider can live in

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd keep it in the hard plastic one with the blue lid. Looks like it has a nice amount of ventilation. It takes several days for a tarantula to acclimate to its new surroundings so don't be too weirded out if its behaviour is a bit off. I would definitely add a piece of bark at an angle and maybe some small silk leaves, but other than that it looks good. Are you going to use a water dish? When my P. metallica was small I just misted the fake leaves and stuff a couple of times a week depending on how dry it is and she would drink off the sides. Otherwise you can get like a diet coke bottle cap and stick it in there.

Tyler Scott

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback!
I tried for good ventilation as I know the effects of an enclosure without it. I moved it 2 days ago, but my god I thought my terrestrial T's were fast. You read about how quick Pokies are... but thats another level lol. I have to go and grab a few bits from the local shop when I have some free time (as I have a G. Pulchripes and a H. sp Colombia that need hides as I've just moved them into bigger 'houses') and I'll pick up some bit of cork bark to put in with it. I was thinking of putting a water bowl in there, but it seems to have been doing fine with me misting ever 2-3 days (depending on how wet it is when I next checked) so I'll probably keep doing that for them moment :)
Thanks again!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P mets are extremely fast. One went up the arm of my friend, across shoulders down the other arm before he could blink. They are one of the more nervous Poki's. You'll either do well, or the T will outgrow your skill set.

Tyler Scott

Arachnopeon
Before I tried to move it, I did look across the forums for advice. One thing that came up was to do the rehousing inside of a larger container, and am I glad I did. As i opened the lid, I blinked and it was out on the sides of the larger container! We'll see how I do, hopefully I will be ok (gonna be on the forums a lot for advice I believe in the future)!!! Its eating well, so thats one less worry for the moment :)

HEk9

Arachnopeon
Put a piece of lil cork bark or a small branch that fits inside so she can climb, they like that kinda of stuff

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Before I tried to move it, I did look across the forums for advice. One thing that came up was to do the rehousing inside of a larger container, and am I glad I did. As i opened the lid, I blinked and it was out on the sides of the larger container! We'll see how I do, hopefully I will be ok (gonna be on the forums a lot for advice I believe in the future)!!! Its eating well, so thats one less worry for the moment :)
Next time maybe try the bag method.

Tyler Scott

Arachnopeon
Update, its now moved and is sat under on of the leaves in there :)
So its... 'happy', I'm going to put some cork bark in there as a hide, and I've got a piece of branch in there for climbing.
Next time maybe try the bag method.
Whats the bag method?

HEk9

Arachnopeon
The bag method is very simple, get a resealable bag, put the container inside, close the bag, open the container let her out and close the container again and transfer her while inside the bag.

Tyler Scott

Arachnopeon
The bag method is very simple, get a resealable bag, put the container inside, close the bag, open the container let her out and close the container again and transfer her while inside the bag.
I'll keep that method in mind for next time :)
Thanks for the idea!!! Certainly sounds a bit more... 'escape proof' lol