Suggestions for a beginner.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
I've done my research over the last month or so now on the Brachypelma albopilosum, and im looking at Jamie's tarantulas to get one. I'm not sure if I should as it would only be a spiderling. Is that good for a beginner? I'm able to purchase that or a larger one (from the pet store for 40 bucks). Im leaning heavily toward the sling but would like input. Thanks in advance.

Minty

@londontarantulas
A sling would be fine, but Brachypelma species are slow growing. So it would be a long time before it really felt like you had a tarantula, imo.

I would go for the larger one, personally. Easier to feed and care for too.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Get the bigger one or find the nearest show in your area. Nothing wrong with a sling but you might spend more time starring at dirt before it reaches a few inches. Atleast look at a few different online sellers. I think the best first t is atleast a few inches. I just hate spending money on shipping. 90 % of my t's were bought online but if you can buy your b albo locally that is what I would do till you are ready to get some more t's.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
Thank you both. I'm going to pickup the larger one likely in the next week or two. Going to be using a coconut fiber bedding mixed with top soil. Should I just use the coco fiber alone?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
A sling would be fine, but Brachypelma species are slow growing. So it would be a long time before it really felt like you had a tarantula, imo.

B.albos are going to grow faster then most Brachypelma spp. by a long shot.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
Turns out the local petstore has 0 idea of the spiders age, or gender. Makes me a bit iffy lmao.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
B. albo is a great first tarantula. As mentioned, they grow a lot faster than most Brachys.

B. vagans is another one that has a pretty decent growth rate and looks quite nice as an adult.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
And, the container I have has a mesh-top lid. Currently it'll cost more to replace the lid and risk getting an old Brachypelma albopilosum. I'll be ordering my sling likely in the next couple days. I don't mind not looking at things and I feel like they'll help me grow with it in terms of knowledge & comfort. (I've got two scorpions lmao I see one once a week if I'm lucky) .

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Would just topsoil work...?
Yes. I use plain topsoil in ALL my enclosures.

My B. vagans have grown heaps faster than my albo.

Turns out the local petstore has 0 idea of the spiders age, or gender. Makes me a bit iffy lmao.
Knowing a spider's age is virtually impossible unless you get it directly from the person who hatched it out and they kept track of dates.

Pet stores are notoriously horrible for getting tarantulas from because they have no idea what they are doing, then pass that on to the new owner.

Also, it is "sex" not "gender."

Minty

@londontarantulas
They do grow faster than other Brachypelma, but I wouldn’t say they’re fast growing.

The age doesn’t matter.

This comes down to personal preference, but I’d argue that the sex of your first tarantula doesn’t matter too much. If you get a Male, sure it’s short lived in comparison, but you’ll still have ample time to gain experience keeping it, and should you enjoy it, you can always get a female in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My B. vagans have grown heaps faster than my albo.
Yeah, vagans are the fastest growers of the genus followed by albopilosum (Honduran form at least anyway, my Nicaraguan form is one of my slowest growing Brachys)

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
My Honduran B. albo hit 4" within the first two years. Her growth rate has decreased since but compared to my Grammostolas she grew up pretty quick.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
I got my first ever tarantula 3 days ago its a sling about 0.4 inches which is tiny its a brachyapelma albiceps i have to say a few things, it will be smaller than you think... lololol i love the little guy and i can allready tell he has a great personality but so far he hasent eaten just be wary that if u buy a a sling it may stress u out a little bit.

cold blood

Staff member
I would get the sling. Albos are great eaters even as slings, and they don't grow glacially at all. In fact up to about 2 or 3 in they grow quite quickly.

Raising such a sling is quite enjoyable due to the fact that you will be seeing it molt on a far more frequent basis. In my opinion it's a great learning tool for a beginner to get a faster growing sling like the one you're looking at.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Not B albopilosum, they grow pretty fast in terms of Brachypelmas. B vagans grows pretty fast to