Suddenly gave birth

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
The one on the left looks like it's either deformed or a bad molt? I've never seen that before. Since they are off her back, I'd go ahead and search the hide to see if any are alive and remove them if so. Truthfully, I don't remember how many molts it took mine to turn black... I think 2? @Collin Clary or @darkness975 may be able to help further. Sorry your brood didn't go so well :(

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It will be 3 or 4 molts before they start to really darken up.

At this point, you should search for any survivors and separate them if you find them.

They normally leave the mother's back after their first molt, assuming no complications arise prior.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Yea, I’m left with just 2 babies. She definitely ate the others, unless they burrow, which I highly assume they can’t. No spot left in the cage where they can be.

That one was in the process of molting, that’s why it looked like that.
Right now it’s still shedding, it seems to be having trouble molting. How long do they normally take to shed? I saw it at around 10:30 and now I come back from work at 11:00 and it’s still shedding. It’s not dying either, I poked it with a little coco fiber to see if it was lethargic and it wriggles around rather actively.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Just woke up and it was still molting, same as it was last night. I know it was risk but I decided to assist it by getting a cotton swab and rubbing the Molt very gently with lukewarm water. About an hour later it finally molted, but it seems both of its pedipalps “finger” (I don’t know the anatomical name of it) was a bit curved up as well as one of its legs was a bit bent. A tiny bit of the Molt seems to have gotten stuck as well on the tip of its tail.

Would all of that be fixed on the next Molt?

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Woke up this morning and now the other one is dead. Just left with 1. Funny how the first one that fell off of her is the last survivor of the 20+ babies. His claws seem to be behind his first legs but otherwise it’s quite active, unlike the other ones before it.