Sudden Fishing Spider Death

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
So i came home from work and to my surprise despite it being quite lively yesterday my 2-3Inch+ Dolomedes okefinokensis Fishing spider was dead,just death curled in the center of its enclosure.

It just molted a week ago and it fed on a mealworm yesterday. I can't even fathom the mealworm killed it but...its just Dead? The substrate is slightly moist,it has a hide,and 2 places it can climb up on at a slant.
The mealworms have been used to feed a couple of my T's and Scorpions and they are still quite alive. So i am unsure what happaned. If i fed it to soon after a molt then thats on me.

Edit:...im starting to beleive it was the warmth of the room it was in.It was the high 80s at least in there.

I am completely unsure what i did wrong or if they can just die suddenly like this.I am not finding much in the way of useful information.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If it was the high 80's at the least, then I would say that was the cause. If you have any pics of her or the enclosure, that would help. I have an approx 4" girl and I honestly don't watch her too carefully. I have the sub slightly moist, a decently sized dish and two pieces of slanted bark to hide one. Weirdly, she webbed up the middle of the enclosure and likes to hang on the sides and threads :bored: I have no idea why, may have mites. Anyway, I thought they lived near humid swamps, so I have no idea their temp range. My room stays around 72 F and she does fine. Was there a quick temp increase, or was it always like that?

So sorry for your loss, it's the worst when they die young with little explaination :(

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
If it was the high 80's at the least, then I would say that was the cause. If you have any pics of her or the enclosure, that would help. I have an approx 4" girl and I honestly don't watch her too carefully. I have the sub slightly moist, a decently sized dish and two pieces of slanted bark to hide one. Weirdly, she webbed up the middle of the enclosure and likes to hang on the sides and threads :bored: I have no idea why, may have mites. Anyway, I thought they lived near humid swamps, so I have no idea their temp range. My room stays around 72 F and she does fine. Was there a quick temp increase, or was it always like that?

So sorry for your loss, it's the worst when they die young with little explaination :(
Im wagering yeah it was the 80's i was debating how hot it was at work tonight and wondered if i should move her,i noticed this to late it seems. x__x

Yeah i don't seem to get any info or much on temp/humidity care on them
Here is a link to a picture of her when i first fed her after a few days of having her. =/
http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/dolomedes-okefinokensis.42121/