Successful P subfusca HL Communal final analysis

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
hey guys,

as some of you have known ive been keeping a communal group of P subfusca HL. The group started as 6 specimens of 2nd instar spiderlings and as of today they consist of 2 mature males and 4 females, all still alive and well.

I noticed that there was 1 mature male roaming around late at night a month or so ago, and today i decided to check on them all and remove the male. to my surprise there were actually 2 mature males.

the reason this is a final analysis is that now that the first of them have reached maturity i consider the analysis completed, P subfusca can very easily be kept together in a communal environment.

All 6 shared the same hide (despite almost a dozen viable locations) packed in, often on top of one another, i witnessed zero aggression throughout their growth process and maintained very consistent behavior the entire time. I have even witnessed 2 of them drinking from the dish simultaneously.

One key piece of data is im beginning to believe that specimens mature much faster (fewer molts and more often molts) in a communal setting, im unsure whether their more frequent molts is due to a feeling of added security with being together or from a more frequent feeding as this group was fed slightly more than a solitary specimen by about 10-20%. And while this species is a bit smaller of the Poecilotheria genus, the mature males are tiny (4-4.5" for one, an even 4" for the other) when i have kept this species in the past, my last mature male was 5.5-6" easily. Again im beginning to believe that they matured a molt ahead compared to my solitary specimen in the past.

As of right now, i have the two mature males separated and sitting on my desk as i type this, the females will remain together as they are, of course, still too small/young to be bred, and i do not wish to inbreed if i can help it. so they will remain where they are comfortable, in a group, until they are ready to be bred. At which time i will attempt to find a male and document their behavior as a group when a male is introduced once they are breedable.

Im sad to split them up, and part of me wanted to allow the males to stay, despite knowing they would most likely expire before fulfilling their usefulness, but with two mature males available, it would be selfish for me to withhold that gene pool from the hobby.

despite being two short of the original group, they are still one of my favorite centerpieces of my collection.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Cool stuff.
What happened to the other two?
I feel like you need to reread the OP. :)

I'd say thats a pretty comprehensive write-up. The next step is to see if it is repeatable. If anyone would like to donate some sacmates to the cause I'll be happy to run the experiment again!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P subfusca can very easily be kept together in a communal environment
How many times has this species been kept communally? Objectively an n=1 doesn't define success to write the above.

What was the specific feeding regime, what was the size of the container at all stages of development, what temperatures were they kept at? There's quite a bit of info missing.

Interesting observation on hide sharing.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Had exactly the same experience even down the the removal of 2 males and the frequent molting. Great write up!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
How many times has this species been kept communally? Objectively an n=1 doesn't define success to write the above.

What was the specific feeding regime, what was the size of the container at all stages of development, what temperatures were they kept at? There's quite a bit of info missing.

Interesting observation on hide sharing.

sorry i was hastilly writing it up in the middle of feeding.

they were fed once a week 12 small crickets for their body size each time, only very recently going to 12 adult crickets (2 each). as slings <1" - about 1.5" they were kept in a standard 32oz deli, then at 1.5"-2.5" they were in a 8-10 qt(not 100% exactly) vertical container roughly 5x5x9". then their final housing was at around 3" to present has been a 7x7x14 glass terrarium.

temperatures have been, on average, 70-72 at night and 79-82 during the day peeking at 2pm and hitting a low at 1 am. I use a portable radiant heater on a thermostat and timer to maintain a consisten day/night temperature curve.

i agree on the small sample size, not pertaining to fact, and that it should be repeatable before any claims are made, once the females mature and are bred i intend to set up 2-3 communals similar or identical to this to see if its repeatable. I was just excited since i had not seen all 6 out in over a year i assumed at least one was cannibalized.

i agree on the hides, thats what intrigued me the most, no matter the stage , no matter which housing, they consistently flocked to one location, set up shop, and never left. in the intermediate housing i struggled with mold issues (ran out of isopods) and they had a substrate change 3 times. Each time i rearanged and tweeked the enclosure to further this experiment, and every time they did the same thing.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon

they were fed once a week 12 small crickets for their body size each time, only very recently going to 12 adult crickets (2 each). as slings <1" - about 1.5" they were kept in a standard 32oz deli, then at 1.5"-2.5" they were in a 8-10 qt(not 100% exactly) vertical container roughly 5x5x9". then their final housing was at around 3" to present has been a 7x7x14 glass terrarium.

temperatures have been, on average, 70-72 at night and 79-82 during the day peeking at 2pm and hitting a low at 1 am. I use a portable radiant heater on a thermostat and timer to maintain a consisten day/night temperature curve.

i agree on the small sample size, not pertaining to fact, and that it should be repeatable before any claims are made, once the females mature and are bred i intend to set up 2-3 communals similar or identical to this to see if its repeatable. I was just excited since i had not seen all 6 out in over a year i assumed at least one was cannibalized.

i agree on the hides, thats what intrigued me the most, no matter the stage , no matter which housing, they consistently flocked to one location, set up shop, and never left. in the intermediate housing i struggled with mold issues (ran out of isopods) and they had a substrate change 3 times. Each time i rearanged and tweeked the enclosure to further this experiment, and every time they did the same thing.
So my question is, which one chose the hiding spot???

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Amazing experience you've had with this! I'd love to see this with other Poecilotheria, specifically P. tigrinawesseli. Imagine a few Pokie communals all lined up in a row? It'd be a long shot to make it come true, considering how any communal set up can fail in the blink of an eye-- but a girl can dream right?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Interesting info, maybe safety in numbers? I don't know myself, Captivity can induce all sorts of behavior that is not observed in the wild.

I'm going to check with a biologist I know who has observed these in the wild and see if he's encountered or has heard if they were observed in the wild in a +1 setting. He's an expert in this area.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Interesting info, maybe safety in numbers? I don't know myself, Captivity can induce all sorts of behavior that is not observed in the wild.

I'm going to check with a biologist I know who has observed these in the wild and see if he's encountered or has heard if they were observed in the wild in a +1 setting. He's an expert in this area.
Make sure you pass the info along! I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say.
I'm led to believe that the saftey in numbers is the reason, perhaps they may not seek it out in the wild, but I'd imagine they will opportunistically. Im thinking the numbers is why they seem to be molting and maturing earlier, since molting is most dangerous moment for a t, in a group they may feel safer and molted more freely