Substrate

Pstonetherealest

Arachnopeon
What's the best substrate for a goliath birdeater. Something that want mold? I've seen coconut husk mold

s dave

Arachnopeon
There are lots of options for substrate including but not limited to organic top soil, peat, coco fiber, and vermiculite as well as mixing all of these ingredients. But the best way to eliminate mold is ventilation.

Good cross ventilation and adding springtails will help stop mold growth

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
One of the subs I know people are using is forest soil, dug up in the dead of night.
The soil left up on top when a mole goes up should be really good, as it comes from a layer of earth typically rich in clay, making it good for burrowers.
As all ways, taking things from the wild risks bringing nasties with it, so try to kill off anything bad.
I know that people boil, soak and/or bake leaf litter before using it in terrariums, But I don't know how you would go about doing this with raw soil.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used a deep layer of a mix of peatmoss snd soil, in which i mixed in oakleafs, and a large slightly curved piece of corkbark. There are no reason to bake or boil it. That is not a good idea!

Pstonetherealest

Arachnopeon
I used a deep layer of a mix of peatmoss snd soil, in which i mixed in oakleafs, and a large slightly curved piece of corkbark. There are no reason to bake or boil it. That is not a good idea!
Thank you I was told to boil it first be putting it inside the cage

Pstonetherealest

Arachnopeon
Thanks man

I use topsoil/peat/fine vermiculite, why are you so arsed about mould? It's not even a major issue if it does occur and a Theraphosa enclosure should be well ventilated enough that it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mold.313315/
Thanks man I will check those out this weekend at the reptile expo

Mold in terrariums almost always are a sign of poor ventilation
Thanks man because I hear different things from other individuals but I have been reading up on it

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks man because I hear different things from other individuals but I have been reading up on it
I have no issues with eco earth, it works perfectly, i only recently started mixing it with reptisoil for a fossorial to see if it holds moisture longer.

Coconut substrate is used by tons of people without issues.

cold blood

Staff member
1. Any of the acceptable substrates are good for any tarantula. Substrate is a matter of keeper choice certain tarantulas do not need certain substrates.

Peat moss, Coco fiber, Eco Earth, jungle mix, and topsoil are the most commonly used and acceptable substrates.

2, vermiculite is not a substrate, it is an additive usually put in to hold moisture for those species that require it.

3. Never sterilized anything you're going to put in an enclosure, this only opens it up to everything fresh to colonize it and set you up for mold, it does nothing to prevent it.

Last edited:

Pstonetherealest

Arachnopeon
1. Any of the acceptable substrates are good for any tarantula. Substrate is a matter of keeper choice certain tarantulas do not need certain substrates.

Peat moss, Coco fiber, Eco Earth, jungle mix, and topsoil are the most commonly used and acceptable substrates.

2, vermiculite is not a substrate, it is an additive usually put in to hold moisture for those species that require it.

3. Never sterilized anything you're going to put in an enclosure, this only opens it up to everything fresh to colonize it and set you up for mold, it does nothing to prevent it.
Thanks man for the helpful information