Substrate suggestions please

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
I have a 1 year old B. boehmei that seems not to like the substrates I've offered. His enclosure has coconut fiber in one section, fine sand in another, courser rock and also a wooden hide... but he still will only hang on the side of the tank. If that's what he wants to do, fine, but I'm wondering if he would prefer a different substrate that I haven't offered?Any thoughts?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have a 1 year old B. boehmei that seems not to like the substrates I've offered. His enclosure has coconut fiber in one section, fine sand in another, courser rock and also a wooden hide... but he still will only hang on the side of the tank. If that's what he wants to do, fine, but I'm wondering if he would prefer a different substrate that I haven't offered?Any thoughts?
Sand is not really suitable as substrate for Ts, but coco fiber works for all. Can you upload a picture of your enclosure?

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
I agree about sand. I only put it in to see if he would spend time on the floor....which he will occasionally... and only on the sand. IMG_4223.JPG

sasker

Arachnoprince
Some tarantulas like to hang on the side, not a bad sign per sé. I agree that fine sand is not great for tarantulas. It is also a good idea to pack down the substrate quite tightly as they don't like to walk on loose substrate. This species does not like moist substrate either (not very sure from the picture if this is an issue in this case). I use coco fibre for mine because it is just easy and does not tend to get moldy. Others have good experience with potting soil (no additives like fertilizer or pesticides, obviously).

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you're going to replace the substrate, I would suggest that you increase the size of his enclosure. He is clearly on the verge of outgrowing this one and they have a slightly faster growth rate than some other species in the genus. I would skip making adjustments to this enclosure, when you're going to have to rehouse after his next moult anyway. I would rehouse him into a bigger enclosure.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
My B. Boehmei lives on pure, packed down cocofibre. She spends a lot of time halfway up the walls. She can't hang completely there because I slightly overdid the substrate height in my efforts to prevent fall damage. She molted just fine recently.

Your T probably just wants to explore and try to get out to kill you. Nothing unusual here.

Edit: okay just for the record I will add a "joke" disclaimer to the last paragraph ;)

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
[QUOTE I would suggest that you increase the size of his enclosure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he molted yesterday, so he's only just now getting too big for this one.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Topsoil, then there’s also topsoil, or if you really want to go all out you could use topsoil.

cold blood

Staff member
There are a lot of acceptable substrates...each of which can be used or combined and used for literally ANY t on the planet....substrate is purely a keepers choice. I use top soil, simply because its the cheapest and most natural.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
Out of curiosity, is there any particular topsoil brand you use? Always paranoid the brands they sell at like Wal Mart or Lowes has some kind of mulch or fertilizer...

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
coco fiber, top soil. pick one. you're done.
it's not complex.
coco fiber is recommended to newbies because it is commonly used for animals and wont have fertilizer in it. meanwhile you'll need to mind the top soil you get.
just get it done, it's trivial and nuanced.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Out of curiosity, is there any particular topsoil brand you use? Always paranoid the brands they sell at like Wal Mart or Lowes has some kind of mulch or fertilizer...
Get the cheapest stuff you can find, I think a lot of people on your side of the pond use Earthgro

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
Here's what I mean. He prefers the sand. When I rehouse later today, I think I'll provide 2 or 3 different options for him. IMG_7235.JPG

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I like using Reptisoil. It has a nice blend of soil types that works for all of my Ts. It's generally considered a bit pricey, but I like it, and I don't need to worry where it came from or if it's going to have anything unexpected in it.

I re-use it for my plants after I empty enclosures for rehousing, which works great unless I forget to use gloves. Then I am very itchy.