Substrate question

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
I aquired my first ever scorpions just three days ago from a local pet shop and have already fallen head over heals for them. I got three Emperor Scorpions and have housed them in a ten gallon tank with a water dish, some driftwood, a heating pad, and an acrylic top with air holes.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about is the substrate i used. The man at the store told me to use gravel... but that seemed wrong and i did some research instead. I have ended up with a substrate of pure damp vermiculite... the scorpions seem to be doing well but i wanted to check if vermiculite, without any other substate mixed in, was suitable for Emperors in the long run.
Thanks

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First off I welcome you to the Boards. It is always good to see another scorpion lover here :)
I have never used vermiculite so I can't really answer that question. I use a mixture of potting soil and peat moss for my emperor set up.
If you will look toward the top of the Scorpion Forum there is a sticky titled "Frequently asked Questions". There is a basic emperor scorpion care to click on that is as good as it gets IMO.
I wish you the best of luck with your new scorps and hope you enjoy them.

Brian

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea, ditch the vermiculite, get some eco-bar or peat, A) it looks better B) its better for your scorp, doesnt leave a shiny silver sheen on it and C) it makes for a more naturalistic setting,

and tell the gravel man he is a total prat :l

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
and tell the gravel man he is a total prat :l
Agreed!

Also, welcome to the boards, your on you're way to heavy addiction. :D

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks... and...

Hey,
Thank you for the worm welcome and all. The vermiculite has turned out to be quite a messy choice for substrate, but my Emps are digging burrows like crazy (they didnt seem interested in the bark substrate they started in). Could the vermiculite actually be harmful to my scorps or can i just alow them to have some messy fun?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It probably isn't harmful but peat and/or soil would be better.
BTW, the driftwood in a damp enclosure may get mold. So you may want to keep an eye on that.

davus

Arachnopeon
why anyone would recommend gravel for a emp is beyond me :?

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
davus said:
why anyone would recommend gravel for a emp is beyond me :?

Maybe he ment for the false-bottom set-up, but i doubt it.

apocalypse910

Arachnopeon
at one point vermiculite was recommend to me as a substrait.. I abandoned it after a few days because it was clinging to the scorps and irritating them. I found that mixing peat moss in with the existing vermiculite works very well. It doesn't stick to the scorpion, it holds moisture very well, and it doesn't look bad either.