Substrate question

nolan

Arachnopeon
Hello I just got my 3rd t a pzb now from what i've read they like to burrow i used pure eco earth cause i use it with my other t's and its great my question is for a burrowing tarantula will eco earth do it or do i need something that can hold together better if it does decide to burrow

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Works great, just pack it firmly while it is moist. it will dry and make for good burrowing.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
anything can be fine for a burrower really ( especially eco-earth or coco fiber) because they use web to hold it all in and to keep dirt from falling in on them. besides, if for some reason dirt SHOULD fall in on them spiders that tend to burrow will SURELY know how to get out;)

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
Hello I just got my 3rd t a pzb now from what i've read they like to burrow i used pure eco earth cause i use it with my other t's and its great my question is for a burrowing tarantula will eco earth do it or do i need something that can hold together better if it does decide to burrow
Eco earth is fine. No T Ive ever had has had any trouble digging in it. My mustard baboon even dug a serious tunnel in that substrate.

kristinnandbenn

Arachnopeon
Eco earth is fine, I use it for all my T's and my H lividum slings have burrows going all the way down and across the bottom and there hasn't been a problem

braaandooon

Arachnopeon
eco earth is a great product, im relatively new to keeping t's, but have been keeping exotic plants, cacti, and succulents for awhile now and use eco earth in both hobbies, would definitely recommend using eco earth for humidity loving t's, but for t's that prefer to be dryer would stick with sphagnum peat moss, its also alot cheaper, eco earth retains a lot of moisture a lot longer than peat moss, even when eco earth is dry a simple spray will keep a T enclosure humid alot longer then the same amount of spray with peat moss, only thing negative with eco earth i find is without adequate ventilation, its very susceptible to mites, where areas my enclosures with "baked" peat moss never have mite problems, i bake all my substrates for sterilization purposes, i keep my h. lividium in pure eco earth, with some terrarium moss and cork bark for a good humid enclosure, where as i keep my m. balfouri in a mix of sphagnum peat moss, sand, and a small amount of pea gravel with some cork bark for a much dryer enclosure, these are my recommendations but i am also no T expert, but must be doing something right as the two species i've mentioned are considered "pet holes" for the most part, but mine act nothing of the part as they are quite active and good feeders, anyways this is a great board and hopefully a good first post