Substrate question?? New Owner.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
IMG_8898.JPG I am a new owner of a B. albo. Sub adult. Approx 3".

Whenever I look in the enclosure, the T is always sitting on something other than the substrate. I had a plant in there and he was always sitting on the leaves or on top of his log hide. Sometimes he sits on the wall. He never, ever seems to relax on the Eco earth substrate.

I purchased the loose, dry substrate. I didn't reconstitute a block. I have patted down the substrate so that it is solid and not loose. I have not added moisture to the substrate. Cheap digital hygrometer states 51% humidity. 73 degrees F.

Is there something about the eco earth that is bothering the T?

I have another T on the way and her enclosure is setup in the same manner.

Here is a pic:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Doesn't seem to be any issue.

Also, stop trying to measure humidity. That's useless and leads beginners way off.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My B. albo *hates* touching her substrate. At first she spent most of her time on top of her hide or in her water dish (after she'd emptied it, of course) - but she eventually went for the wall-to-wall carpeting with a web mat over pretty much all of the substrate and she's much happier now. Except, of course, for those times when I do something evil - like removing and cleaning the water dish so that it will actually hold water. Then she sulks for a day or two before webbing it up again.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't worry about this too much. Even the loose eco earth is still a bit moist. Give it some time. Maybe the spider prefers rigid surfaces.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You just rehoused this T, correct? It's probably just figuring stuff out. Either way, the substrate is fine, no need to worry. Some Ts do quirky things. I've got a G. pulchra that is always just hanging out in the corner-- not on the substrate, hanging onto the wall in the corner. For hours. Same spot. Not wandering around the walls, just sitting there.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You just rehoused this T, correct? It's probably just figuring stuff out. Either way, the substrate is fine, no need to worry. Some Ts do quirky things. I've got a G. pulchra that is always just hanging out in the corner-- not on the substrate, hanging onto the wall in the corner. For hours. Same spot. Not wandering around the walls, just sitting there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Personally, I think Ts tolerate cocofiber but don't really "enjoy" it. I've watched a lot of my Ts step on it, and it's clear they are not fond of it, compared to when they step on cork bark/plastic or other hard, solid surfaces.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Personally, I think Ts tolerate cocofiber but don't really "enjoy" it. I've watched a lot of my Ts step on it, and it's clear they are not fond of it, compared to when they step on cork bark/plastic or other hard, solid surfaces.
Really? How can you tell?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? How can you tell?
When I change out substrate, and put a fresh amount in, I've observed how they touch the substrate. They tend to move the first leg segment a bit. It's hard to describe. Then over time, the behavior stops.

However, when presented w/fresh sub and cork bark on the sub, they go for the harder surface. Their leg segment don't move on a fresh cork surface or new acrylic surface. It's not a stability issue where they are sliding in the sub either.

I only notice it because that's the only time I see it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
When I change out substrate, and put a fresh amount in, I've observed how they touch the substrate. They tend to move the first leg segment a bit. It's hard to describe. Then over time, the behavior stops.

However, when presented w/fresh sub and cork bark on the sub, they go for the harder surface. Their leg segment don't move on a fresh cork surface or new acrylic surface. It's not a stability issue where they are sliding in the sub either.

I only notice it because that's the only time I see it.
Have you tried other subs and compared?

That may well be true. They don't live in ground coconuts in the wild..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you tried other subs and compared?

That may well be true. They don't live in ground coconuts in the wild..
Yep, never saw it with vermic, and that's loose too, albeit a different texture, but equally as light if not lighter in mass, at least it feels that way to me hah.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 251800 I am a new owner of a B. albo. Sub adult. Approx 3".

Whenever I look in the enclosure, the T is always sitting on something other than the substrate. I had a plant in there and he was always sitting on the leaves or on top of his log hide. Sometimes he sits on the wall. He never, ever seems to relax on the Eco earth substrate.

I purchased the loose, dry substrate. I didn't reconstitute a block. I have patted down the substrate so that it is solid and not loose. I have not added moisture to the substrate. Cheap digital hygrometer states 51% humidity. 73 degrees F.

Here is a pic:
Nice looking T.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 251800 I am a new owner of a B. albo. Sub adult. Approx 3".

Here is a pic:
I use Eco Earth in all my Terrestrial enclosures.

Your set up looks fine. Just make sure the water dish is always full.

See my post above of my B. hamorii. Sometimes they just do stupid things. That particular specimen I posted the picture of always climbs like that for no reason.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member