• 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use a brick of eco-earth or forest bed , that fills about half a 5 gal bucket when damp .
then i add potting soil so the bucket is about 3/4 full and mix .

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Daywalker said:
i use a brick of eco-earth or forest bed , that fills about half a 5 gal bucket when damp .
then i add potting soil so the bucket is about 3/4 full and mix .
Can you use that eco earth without water??? Thought about buying some today, just curious :confused:

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rob1985 said:
Can you use that eco earth without water??? Thought about buying some today, just curious :confused:
It's only available in a brick sized compressed form. You need water in order to make it expand. If I want it dry I just put it in a container and place it near one of the radiators. The coco husk is dry by the next day by doing that.

I voted other. In the past I used peat moss. I don't like it anymore because it is very dusty and from what I've been told not very healthy to breathe. Plus peat bogs are being drained and destroyed to provide this product. I now you coco husk soil by it self or combined with cypress mulch, sand, or decomposed granite (when I can get it). <<you can order coco husk here>>
Mike

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
All the info on my T says they don't really like moist substrate, unless it is a little bit near the water dish. I had her in a kritter keeper for a temp. home and she really didn't like tha fact that it was moist.she clung to the sides most of the time.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rob1985 said:
All the info on my T says they don't really like moist substrate, unless it is a little bit near the water dish. I had her in a kritter keeper for a temp. home and she really didn't like tha fact that it was moist.she clung to the sides most of the time.
Rob,
there is a difference between moist and wet. If you place some substrate in your hand and squeeze no excess water should come out. If it does, then I'd say there's too much water. I keep a couple of t's in moist (I think humid is better description) cages and they are doing great. What it boils down to is individual preference. Either way works well.
Mike

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I know what ur saying. I squeezed all the water I could outa it. Now that she is in her permanent home she loves the dry substrate {D

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I voted "other". I use coconut fibre. At $1 a brick it is as cheap as peat.

Kittycat784

Arachnopeon
I use bed-a-beast (or the compressed coconut) and I mix in a little of what is called "jungle litter" its like finley shredded bark. my T's really like it. it'll hold moisture well if it needs to but will also dry up if needed. the jungle litter gives it a little more substance and makes it not so fine. I find bed-a-beast alone to be sorta like sand when it dries up and my roises are not fond of it alone :) .

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use the compresed cocanut coir. I am looking into changing over to organic dirt and a peat moss mixture though. I have 17 T's at this time, which are all slings/juvies of different sizes...whenever I've rehoused I've started out with completely fresh substrate, and I'm getting sick of using up all the coir.

Also, even though I got the coir on sale, I intended to use it almost exlcusively for my ball python, and I'd prefer not to be using it all up my T's. It works great, but it's getting costly.

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Currently i am using 100% peat for my Terrestrials. Some members suggested that i use 50% peat 50% potting soil for my H. minax.... Can i just use 100% peat or the change is better?

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Substrate Preference

Coconut fibers for my dry climate friends and 75% peatmoss mixed with 25% Vermiculite for my high humidity friends.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
In the premier issue of Arachnoculture, Rick mades slight reference to this issue..to paraphrase ' I keep out of this argument. I use soil straight from the garden and have no more mortalities than anyone else who goes to great lengths to sterilize thier terrariums'...
T

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Walter said:
My vote goes for "other" - the coconut fiber EcoEarth.
I only use coconut fiber ecoearth... Only one complaint, it molds very badly if not well ventilated.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I voted "other" as well.

Another Eco Earth/Bed-A-Beast lover here. :D

---
Wendy
---

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm using 50/50 peat-vermiculite. I have been all over the place around here, and cannot find any soil without additives. I also haven't found bed-a-beast, or coconut coir (believe it or not-maybe cause I won't go to Deathco). I bought a large cube of Peat one time, really cheap- but it had all kinds of sticks and things in it, so I wasn't sure if it was safe to use. Does it matter, as long as it's got no additives? It IS the most natural-looking stuff I've seen.

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I went to mixture of 50/50, Ultimate Potting soil (by Fertilome) and coconut fiber. T's seem to like it and I haven't had any unwanted mold/fungal growths. It seems to hold moisture well for higher humidity T's so the added ventilation doesn't dry out the substrate like it did with just the ultimate potting soil.

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
I've been using 100% peat moss with my slings. Even with daily misting I have had no fungus or mold.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like a nice plush carpet myself. Hardwood floors are very attractive and better for my allergies though. And nothing beats real tile in the bathroom, linolium is so second rate.