Votes: 61 4.9%
  • 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I just use cocofiber. I like it. I haven't tried any other though and I'm kind of interested in Peat but until I can feel the consistency of it I don't want to buy it. Plus I'm uncertain what kind is okay to buy. I'm starting to get annoyed of being overcharged by pet stores (just spent 4 dollars on a suction cup and a plastic leaf for the betta) and peat's supposed to be much cheaper.

Pandinus97

Arachnopeon
i would have to go with 75 bark, and 25 coir for more tropical spc and just 100% dried
coir for arid species, i never use peat moss because im paranoid that it would mold up

hearsemadam

Arachnosquire
I make a mixture of coco fiber with vermiculite and add in moss. I have no real formula and I add or remove moss per the individual tarantulas moisture needs.

Prrum16

Arachnopeon
I've been using the Eco earth coconut fiber for about a year and it's been working excellent ...never heard of anyone getting mites or molds... Highly recommend... Good luck

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
I use regular soil, usually Scott's top soil (sifted through a kitty litter scooper to remove the big chunks). For my arboreals I add about 25% vermiculite and a smallish amount of sphagnum moss. I haven't been keeping Ts long, but it's working great so far. The soil holds up well for burrowing and the vermiculite mixture is keeping my Avics' humidity under control nicely.

TallonD

Arachnopeon
In my vivarium with my avicularia avicularia I use a blend of tree fern fiber (bottom 1/4), charcoal (second 1/4), sphagnum peat and long fiber sphagnum are mixed as the top 50%. I did that for drainage since I have live plants to make sure the top does not stay too damp (use a syringe for plant watering). this is my first T, as of THIS week, so its all new to me.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I am new, but based on all I've read, I've been using mostly peat, with a bit of shredded coconut fibers mixed in. For my Euathlus sp. red, I added a bit of non-fertilized potting soil in the understanding that it would help make burrows more stable -- of course, once I moved them to their terraria with this substrate, they no longer show much interest in burrowing and instead hang out half on the wall. o_O Maybe they preferred the relatively loose peat that I threw into jars to temporarily house them until their roomier terraria arrived, Idk. I'm torn between letting them be and settle in or keep changing things until they are happy. :arghh:

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pure coco fiber. Is this thread so old it didn't exist back then ?

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and yet another ancient post is risen from is moldering crypt to stalk the boards. be ware who know what ancient tread will awaken next

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
(Other) Coco fiber is primarily my choice. I sometimes add vermiculite and or spagnum moss for higher humidity specimens.