Substrate Moisture Levels

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I have been out of the hobby for quite some time and recently got back into it. When I used to keep tarantulas I kept all except my P.murinus moist. By moist I mean it has a little water in it not soaked. I have been hearing from a lot of people that slings should be kept moist due to moisture escaping there cuticle. So I have recently raised some slings to juvenile and bought some adults and subadults and I keep pretty much all moist, except my P.murinus. I realise mositure depends on species but I see a lot of threads where people will say keep substrate dry due to issues such as mites, mold etc. Should I keep the substrate fully dry and just have a water dish. I have a water dish in all enclosures (if the specimen is over 2") and still keep sub moist, am I doing more harm than good here? Also, before people jump in saying it is species specific, I understand some must need it like Asian fossorials, some African Fossorials etc. I am wondering just wondering more specifically for stromatopelma sp., Heteroscodra sp., Psalmopoeus sp., Poecilotheria sp., Avicularia sp., Harpactira sp., Chromatopelma sp., and Cyriopagopus schioedtei. Before people pop off saying "you should have researched before you bought them", I did. Plus I've owned many tarantulas before, the issue of substrate is just a prolonged issue for me because I see threads saying keep them dry, but I worry that humidity will be far too low and dehydration will set in if they can't find their water dish.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Only slings I've ever raised dry is Avicularia.

Keep the rest moist. I keep mine moist and with a small water dish. The dish is kind of unnessasary. But good if you're nervous.

Poecilotheria can take both sides of the spectrum. I alternate between humid and dry enclosures.

Heteroscodra appreciate a little moisture. I heavily overflow the dish monthly or so. I'd keep S cal the same way.

Psalmopoeus always a little moist.

Avics bone dry. Bi weekly misting.

Etc.

They will always find their dish if they need it btw.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Heteroscodra sp
Slightly moist.

Psalmopoeus sp.
Slightly moist.

Poecilotheria sp.
Slightly moist but can cope with drier conditions.

Avicularia sp.
Mostly dry, I just overflow the water dish every now and again.

Chromatopelma sp.
Slightly moist until they hit 1.5" and then dry after that.

Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Moist.

cold blood

Staff member
I understand some must need it like Asian fossorials, some African Fossorials etc. I am wondering just wondering more specifically for stromatopelma sp., Heteroscodra sp., Psalmopoeus sp., Poecilotheria sp., Avicularia sp., Harpactira sp., Chromatopelma sp., and Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Pretty much all slings should be kept damp, although there are exceptions...Most African fossorials won't do well with damp sub, even as slings....The GBB is arid adapted, and again even at smaller sizes should be kept dry, only the smallest slings should be kept damp.

Avics just flat out do best at all stages in life with predomnantly dry sub.

Pokies and Psalms are also very drought tolerant and can be kept dry, even as slings, although they do like a little moisture at all stages in life...but being able to dry them for periods can make things easier.

schioedtei is Asian, they are less tolerant of dry conditions and should be kept on damp sub their whole lives, sling to adult.
but I worry that humidity will be far too low and dehydration will set in if they can't find their water dish
Humidity levels aren't really relevant. Ts that require damp conditions, need damp substrate (not high humidity).....your ambient humidity will dictate how often you dampen and how much water you use to dampen.....dry conditions mean the addition of more water to the sub, more frequently.

The focus on humidity is mis-guided...a t cannot get moisture out of the air, so why measure it or worry about it...this humidity focus is something that comes from the reptile industry and despite what you hear, has no bearing on keeping ts, regardless of what you read...there's a ton of poor info out there.

Last edited:

Sanman

Arachnopeon
What would you guys recommend for E. Murinus and Nhandu Chromatus? Cold blood, I'm new to inverts with a background in reptiles. I often wonder if I should moisten the entire substrate throughout the enclosure or just keep half and half? I know for common snakes a humidity range is actually flexible but I'm still not sure for tarantulas if the same holds true. Any info you could point to would be incredibly helpful! Thanks!

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I read (all over the interwebs) that I should keep my B. albopilosum (my first T) on dry substrate, but have since been advised to provide a damp area, and to rotate that damp area. I have a water dish too. Sound good? The coco fiber I'm using seems to take ages to dry out though, so I'm possibly overdoing it - would misting a patch be enough?
I seem to have developed some weird kind of OCD, and obsess continuously about her conditions, the delicate little flower. It's a bit strange as I've been keeping inverts for years, just not tarantulas. I guess they're special.