Substrate mix recipe questions.

Joxer

Arachnopeon
Good day. I've been raising Isopods for just over a year now. My substrate mix consists of (25% Coco fiber, 25% Coco husk, 25% hardwood leaf litter, and the rest is made up of spagnam Moss long fiber and milled ). I'm now working with millipedes and I've had some people tell me to lose the Coco 100%. I would love to Iget everyones opinion on this. I live in SoCal and would love to get some information about what's out there and what is good.

Thx.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard the argument both ways for cocofiber (presumably the same holds true for cocohusk), but I think the important aspect of it is that it has essentially no nutritional value to the pedes, so it isn't all that necessary. Since pedes live inside their dinner, it makes sense to have as much edible food as possible. Even just swapping out one of the cocos with rotting hardwood would significantly increase the edible materials in the enclosure, making it much better for the pedes. You could even knock down the other coco with a bit of sand and maybe cuttlebone or some other source of calcium. A little cocofiber wouldn't necessarily hurt for humidity retention, but you probably don't need a ton in there.